Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Ever notice that the word "day" has a different meaning in it's first use in the Bible?....LOL
but it has numbers in front of it. Look! You can believe what you want but too many people want to explain away the bible, where is it going to end? what is to be taken literally and what isn't on what authority? Today it's Genesis, tomorrow it's Romans. Pretty soon we will explain the entire bible away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"Yoem" means day, one day and one night (24-hours) although it can mean a longer period of time like, back in my Grandfather's "day" but in no way does it means thousands or even millions of years furthermore and this is why the bible is supernaturally wonderful, let's look at the passage,

(Genesis 1:5–2:2)

5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Notice it has numbers in front of the days, first day, second day, third day-clearly pointing to 6 literal days.
Jesus also said he would make the disciples 'fisher's of men'. Obviously you don't think he pulled nets out and threw them over crowds of people. Why would you take one passage literally and not another? It seems inconsistant...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,579 times
Quote:

Notice it has numbers in front of the days, first day, second day, third day-clearly pointing to 6 literal days.
LOL, you say that like that is some sort of "Bible Rule"
(It's not by the way...)

The Bible makes use of numbers before days or weeks that have vast amount of time as their true meanings.
An example of that would be found when we look at Bible teachings of the weeks talked about in connection with the End Times.

There are some people who teach that we are right now in the middle of some type of end time week.
That may be well true too, (Im not all that up to date on current popular end times teachings.)
But what I do see clearly is that sticking a number in front of the terms "Day" or "Weeks" does not for one moment limit you to be only talking about smaller amounts of time.

So there is no rule that says that just because the text might say "First Day" that we still can not be dealing with a Day that's about 100 Billion years long and still going!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 AM

Another thing to consider when talking about the Genesis "days"

Question: How do you know when a Genesis day is over?

answer: From the text we do clearly see an ending to the first 6 days of Genesis.
The whole evening and morning description helps us know when one Genesis day had ended and another has begun

Ever notice that the story of Genesis has no ending for the final day?

Ever notice that the whole bible never talks about the last day of Genesis having ended yet?

(I think the final day of Genesis is still going on )

Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Today it's Genesis, tomorrow it's Romans. .
We cant care about that...
We cant allow our fear to blind us to what the text teaches.

We have to just allow the text to speak and if that makes us call into question some understandings of human origin, so be it...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM

What I'm saying, is that the book of Genesis is true.
This is the idea that I'm defending.

My views are that nothing I read in Genesis stands against the teachings of evolution.
Now I'm not saying that evolution and Genesis teach us the very same thing,
No that would be silly to believe.

But I have come to understand that both Science and Genesis do walk hand in hand here...
Both help us understand how and why we come to be the type of things we are....

Old 07-01-2009, 08:15 AM

According to Evolution, humans can be traced back to what?

Now compare that answer to Genesis?

(Its a trick question because in both evolution and genesis we can trace humans back to the same point)

Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 AM

According to some in the "Out of Africa" school of human evolution, we come from some place in Africa and spread out from there to cover the world.

From the story of Genesis we don't see any contradictions with that theory.
I'm not saying the "Out of Africa" idea is true or false, I just don't think it goes against the Holy Text if it were true.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
According to Evolution, humans can be traced back to what?

Now compare that answer to Genesis?

(Its a trick question because in both evolution and genesis we can trace humans back to the same point)
I appreciate your zeal and I am sure you have put a lot of thought into this plus I was just like you but evolution and creation are like oil and water.

You say they can work together....ok.....Here is a question? Why do we die and when did death enter the world?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Here is a question? Why do we die and when did death enter the world?
The question of evil and it's results on the human condition are a matter of faith and of the bible.
Such matters are not a concern for science as science can never prove there is anything called "Faith" nor find a way to test for "god"

Thus you and I cant say that there is a contradiction between science and faith, but we can say that the two ideas help us and inform us as to why we are the way we are.

In other words:
Genesis is all about the question of "Good and Evil"
but evolution has no way to test for "good " or "Evil"

We cant blame science for being unable to put god to the test as we know full well already there is no way to test* for God.

(* You cant break off a small section of god and x-ray it to find out what it is made of..etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity