Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:38 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,662,729 times

Advertisements

Tonight, at midnight I am going to begin a three day fast. It will end Friday at midnight. I will fast by drinking water, and having 1 small cup of soup after 6:00 each evening.
During this fast, if you participate in it with me, I would ask that you begin praying today...for faith...strong faith...for yourself as well as for me and a friend, and pray continually for faith...pray for success in whatever it is that God wants us to do...and pray for our fasting to be a holy, spiritual fast....pray that I, my friend, and you hear from God....that we recieve revelation from Him. This time of prayer of fasting...from a right heart...could be very powerful.
I sense in my spirit that it is time to call this fast...I call out to all...clear your minds and hearts from problems today in preparation...prepare your hearts and minds today, to begin tonight.
God Bless you...I'll share today concerning this as the day progresses...as the Spirit leads.

I love you....and do everything in love...
Your sister in Christ,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,857 times
No offense, but if I was going to fast, I wouldn't announce it on an internet forum.

Jesus said:
Quote:
Matthew 6:16-18:

16Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

17But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
No offense, but if I was going to fast, I wouldn't announce it on an internet forum.

Jesus said:
Oh please, I fast once in a while and a lot of people get to know of it. What if you fast on a Friday and your boss arranges for a Friday lunch?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Jesus said:
...no offense?...for what other reason would you not just read my sincere request to someone to fast for me, and then, if not lead to participate, just go quietly on to another thread where you can satisfy your need to debate?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Proclaim a Fast!

"Jehoshaphat's Prayer...Jahaziel Promises a Great Deliverance"

And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the Lord, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah. So Judah gathered together to ask help from the Lord; and from all the cities of Judah they came to seek the Lord.
...Then Jehoshaphat stood in the assembly of Judah and Jerusalem, in the house of the Lord, before the new court, and said: "O Lord God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven, and do You not rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You? Are You not our God who drove out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israell, and gave it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever? And they dwell in it, and have built You a sanctuary in it for Your name, saying, 'If disaster comes upon us......sword, judgement, pestilence, or famine...we will stand before this temple and in Your presence (for Your name is in this temple), and cry out to You in our affliction, and You will hear and save...
Now all Judah, with their little ones, their wives, and their children, stood before the Lord.
Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel the son of Zechariah...in the midst of the assembly. And he said, "Listen, all you of Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem, and you, King Jehoshaphat! Thus says the Lord to you: 'Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude coming against you, for the battle is not yours, but God's. Tomorrow go down against them...You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with you!'..."...The Lord delivered Judah!

"Give thanks to the Lord
...for His mercy and steadfast love endures forever!"

In Christ's Love,
Verna.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Default Fasting and Prayer for Protection...

...Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from Him a safe journey for ourselves, our children, and all our goods. For I was ashamed to ask the king for a band of soldiers and horsemen to protect us against the enemy on our way, since we had told the king, "The hand of our God is for good on all who seek Him, and the power of his God is for good on all who seek Him, and the power of His wrath is against all who forsake Him." So we fasted and implored our God for this, and He listened to our entreaty (Ezra 8:21-23).

Seek the Lord with all of your heart...

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 PM

Default "Fasting Among the Jews...Esther Agrees to Help the Jews"

...Then Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, "Do not think to yourself that in the king's palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews. For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai, "Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish," Mordecai then went away and did everything as Esther had ordered him (Esther 4:13-17).

I ask you to fast for me and my friend...as well as for yourselves...

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Have you heard of hardcore fasts?

Ones I'm used to seeing my Dad and Mom perform. My Dad's pretty hardcore. He fasts tuesday, thursday, friday and every first saturday of the month.

That's 6am to 12 noon foodless. And he was diabetic He actually would get himself sick when he was in his late forties. Yet he did that.

The muslims are the best. They do the truest fasting in what I have seen. Some of the kids my age fasted for Ramadan, during my teens, and that's 6am to 6pm on Fridays and even sending saliva past the throat is taboo. Or at least that's what they told me and I believed it

By 4 o clock, you could see them wilting in hunger and their parents will be waiting with food at the school gates. At 6 the whole family breaks the fast and eats. It simply takes Godliness to a new level.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM

27 posts, read 39,590 times
Quote:

Jesus said:
What? *palms face*

You just totally quoted that scripture out of context. Nobody can see her on the internet and her purpose of posting was to get others to fast with her, not to just announce it just to be a show off.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Default "True and False Fasting...True and False Worship"...

"Shout with the voice of a trumpet blast.
...Shout aloud! Don't be timid.
Tell My people Israel of their sins!
...Yet they act so pious!
They come to the Temple every day
...and seem delighted to learn about Me.
They act like a righteous nation
...that would never abandon the laws of its God.
They ask Me to take action on their behalf,
...pretending they want to be near Me.
"We have fasted before you!' they say.
'Why aren't you impressed?
We have been very hard on ourselves,
...and you don't even notice it!'

"I will tell you why!" I respond.
..."It's because you are fasting to please yourselves.
Even while you fast,
...you keep oppressing your workers.
What good is fasting
...when you keep on fighting and quarreling?
This kind of fasting
...will never get you anywhere with Me.
You humble yourselves
...by going through the motions of penance,
bowing your heads
...like reeds bending in the wind.
You dress in burlap
...and cover yourselves with ashes.
Is this what you call fasting?
...Do you really think this will please the Lord?

"No, this is the kind of fasting I want:
Free those who are wrongly imprisoned;
...lighten the burden of those who work for you.
Let the oppressed go free,
...and remove the chains that bind people.
Share your food with the hungry,
...and give shelter to the homeless.
Give clothes to those who need them,
...and do not hide from relatives who need your help.

"Then your salvation will come like the dawn,
...and your wounds will heal quickly.
Your godliness will lead you forward,
...and the glory of the Lord will protect you from
......behind.
Then when you call, the Lord will answer.
...'Yes, I am here,' He will quickly reply.

"Remove the heavy yoke of oppression.
...Stop pointing your finger and spreading vicious
......rumors!
Feed the hungry,
...and help those in trouble.
Then your light will shine......out from the darkness,
...and the darkness around you will be as bright as
......noon.
The Lord will guide you continually,
...giving you water when you are dry
...and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well watered garden,
...like an ever-flowing spring.
Some of you will rebuild the ruins of your
......cities.
Then you will be known as the rebuilder of walls
...and a restorer of homes.

Keep the Sabbath day holy.
...Don't pursue your own interests on that day,
but enjoy the Sabbath
...and speak of it with delight as the Lord's holy day.
Honor the Sabbath in everything you do on that day,
...and don't follow your own desires or talk idly.
Then the Lord will be your delight.
I will give you great honor
and satisfy you with the inheritance I promised to
......your ancestor Jacob.
...I, the Lord, have spoken!"
Isaiah 58;1-14.

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 07-07-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity