Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,588,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I beg to differ with you here....God does punish sin but the punishment is corrective and it has an end...it is not done for ever and ever.
WOW! Christy It seems someone thinks you are wrong, immoral, twisted, carnal for believing in ANY kind of punishment I love it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 03:52 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,225,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
WE don't differ, Christy . . . there are consequences for our failures . . . but they are not punishments. If we violate God's law of gravity and suffer the consequences was it a punishment? Why then should violations of any of God's other "laws" (the way God ordered the universe and estaablished our purpose) be considered as punishments?
Consequences, punishments...that's just semantics....it all leads to correction, i.e. we learn our lesson...or at least some of us do

Old 09-25-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
WOW! Christy It seems someone thinks you are wrong, immoral, twisted, carnal for believing in ANY kind of punishment I love it!!!!
Who thinks that I never ever said God would not punish people for sin...go check. What I've said and always say is that it will not last forever.

Do you believe that the Lake of Fire is Hell?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:04 PM

63,989 posts, read 40,270,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Consequences, punishments...that's just semantics....it all leads to correction, i.e. we learn our lesson...or at least some of us do
When we are making distinctions about God's motives and intent it does matter. The result is the same . . . a correction experience . . . but there is no intent or need for "punishment." That implies a "vengeance" for rebelliousness to authority instead of just "reaping what they sow" for their mistakes or ignorance or willful stupidity. As I said in another thread . . . we humans want our children to obey us to LEARN how to avoid the negative consequences of certain behaviors . . . (But being human . . we also want authority over them and won't brook rebelliousness). God just wants us to learn to avoid the negative consequences, period . . . no authority issues or "punishment" for rebellious disobedience involved.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:54 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,588,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christygrl View Post
who thinks that I never ever said god would not punish people for sin...go check. What i've said and always say is that it will not last forever.

Do you believe that the lake of fire is hell?
any!!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
any!!
That was not an answer to my question Fundy

Do you believe that the Lake of Fire is Hell?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 PM

702 posts, read 1,008,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Simple, he is the savior of all men meaning He died for all, but unfortunately not all will believe. So especially the ones who believe. No doubt there is a difference between a believer and unbeliever in this very passage. That must be the reason otherwise it contradicts other verses in the bible. There are way to many verses saying sinners will not enter heaven to argue otherwise. It is completely unscriptural to say unbelievers will go to heaven. Paul even says what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? So why would God put us all together in the same place? not scriptural or logical to think such.
The phrase, "go to heaven" does not exist in the Bible. So, you got it right when you say, "It is completely unscriptural to say unbelievers will go to heaven." Only, it is for another reason than what you are proposing.

While never presented as our destination, "heaven" is our place of origin (Rev 21:9-10) and present habitation (Eph 2:6.) The word "heaven" is slightly more than half the time plural in Scripture. The commentaries like to explain it with a Latin term to sound like they know what they're talking about. They say the plural "heavens" is majestis pluralis, meaning plural only to communicate the exceeding glory of heaven. In reality there are three (3) heavens, (2 Co 12:2) corresponding to the dimensions of spirit (where peculiarly God's presence is), soul (psychic realm,) and body (the heaven of earth's atmosphere to the distant galaxies.) Jesus has passed through all the heavens (Hb 4:14) and rests up over all in the right of the Great All-Togetherness upon High (Hb 1:3.) While we are joined to Him there in ascension, we are undergoing a process with His Spirit sharing the same body in union with Him down into death and through resurrection to come into the demonstration of ascension.

I could go on into this topic; however, you, if you want to confess you believe the Bible, must submit your mind to what the Bible actually says, making it what you say, and weeding out of your conversation those things that the Bible does NOT say.

The point to our faith is not a place, but rather is a person and our conformity to the image and likeness of that person who is God.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 PM

702 posts, read 1,008,248 times
I would like to tell beloved57 that God is making us in His image. If He is the Supreme Torturer then that is what He will make you to be like. This has already come to pass with the heretico carborendo laws used for hundreds of years to burn people at the stake in Europe. They were copying their God. They said they were consigning people to temporal flames in hopes of saving them from eternal flames.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:37 AM

159 posts, read 231,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
The phrase, "go to heaven" does not exist in the Bible. So, you got it right when you say, "It is completely unscriptural to say unbelievers will go to heaven." Only, it is for another reason than what you are proposing.

While never presented as our destination, "heaven" is our
Wo stop right there. You do not believe the bible teaches heaven after this life is over being our destination? Check the phrase "enter in the kingdom of heaven" and you will get many verses. or example: (this is just a few of many)

Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,145,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Wo stop right there. You do not believe the bible teaches heaven after this life is over being our destination? Check the phrase "enter in the kingdom of heaven" and you will get many verses. or example: (this is just a few of many)

Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Yes, Kingdom of Heaven, NOT heaven. There will be a new earth. Who do you think will inhabit it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity