Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:18 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times

Advertisements

18`And I also say to thee, that thou art a rock, and upon this rock I will build my assembly, and gates of Hades shall not prevail against it;

The gates of hades according to this are trying to prevail against the assembly.

What are the gates of hades and how are they trying to prevail ?

Could it be that the gates attempted to hold the assembly captive ?

Do you think the gates of hades were busted open when Jesus went there
and destroyed him who had the power of death(sounds like good news)
and the captives were set free (you and i) and the gates of hell are now rendered useless?.

If so can death now hold a man ransom for eternity ?

"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"

14Seeing, then, the children have partaken of flesh and blood, he himself also in like manner did take part of the same, that through death he might destroy him having the power of death -- that is, the devil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:10 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,772,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
18`And I also say to thee, that thou art a rock, and upon this rock I will build my assembly, and gates of Hades shall not prevail against it;

The gates of hades according to this are trying to prevail against the assembly.

and the captives were set free (you and i) and the gates of hell are now rendered useless?.

14Seeing, then, the children have partaken of flesh and blood, he himself also in like manner did take part of the same, that through death he might destroy him having the power of death -- that is, the devil

Quote:
What verse is this?

Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
What verse is this?
Ironmaw Hebrews 2 verses 14,15 Amazing verse don't you think ?

Old 07-11-2009, 05:23 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,772,793 times
Quote:
Ironmaw Hebrews 2 verses 14,15 Amazing verse don't you think ?
Yeah that is great ... That he uses the word children there especially ...

Now did i mean only the part about children is great or did i mean that the part about children is even more great?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:25 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,393,961 times
Quote:

This only applies to the church, the elect of God..but not for the devil and his seed..

They are children of hell matt 23:

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
This only applies to the church, the elect of God..but not for the devil and his seed..

They are children of hell matt 23:

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Well Beloved 57 if the gates of hades are busted open , don't you think the pharisees are free to go as well ?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,031,032 times
Quote:

After Jesus' resurrection, He entered into darkness (hell) to teach the fallen ones that the Divine Love is available to all who wish to receive. That God had not forsaken them and that God is Love to all.
For the next 2000 years, Lucifer and Satan and all their accomplises were on trial. Those who chose to side with Jesus were rehabilitated and those who chose to continue in their rebellion, ceased to exist. Since the mid 80's, all circuits to the spirit world have been opened and everything that was ours before the fall of Adam and Eve, are now available.
Jesus taught that honest repentance is for all and that one day, in the distant future, hell (darkenss) will be closed. All souls that have strayed away from love and who are not in harmony with God, will be reconciled.
There is no such thing as eternal torment and fire. We will either become in harmony with God or cease to exist.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:33 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,108,397 times
"The Gates of Hell will not prevail against it"

A "gate" is a defense.
The 'Gate" is the point in the wall where one army would attack and try to force their way into at.

Think of "The gate of Fort Lincoln" where you had to position troops night and day to keep everyone inside the fort safe from attack.
This is the context that Jesus is speaking in when he says that the "Gates of Hell" will not prevail against his church.

What Jesus is saying is that His church will attack the strongholds of the Devil and that the Devil will have no way to keep the church from victory.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
"The Gates of Hell will not prevail against it"

A "gate" is a defense.
The 'Gate" is the point in the wall where one army would attack and try to force their way into at.

Think of "The gate of Fort Lincoln" where you had to position troops night and day to keep everyone inside the fort safe from attack.
This is the context that Jesus is speaking in when he says that the "Gates of Hell" will not prevail against his church.

What Jesus is saying is that His church will attack the strongholds of the Devil and that the Devil will have no way to keep the church from victory.
I read it as the gates of hades trying to prevail against it , rather than the church trying to prevail against the gates of hades.

And why attack the devil when he's defeated ?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,108,397 times
Quote:
I read it as the gates of hades trying to prevail against it , rather than the church trying to prevail against the gates of hades.

And why attack the devil when he's defeated ?
If a gate prevails against your attack, your attack has failed...

The gates of hell will not win against the church, for the church will storm the gates and enter into the strongholds of the devil.

Although we can say that in a very real way the Devil was defeated on the cross, that does not mean that the devil has given up.

The Devil goes out across the world to this very hour seeking to destroy.
There are strongholds of unbelief that the church has to enter into.
The world of the cults...
The world of Islam...
The world of hate...
The world of sin...
all such strongholds of the devil will need to be attacked by the Body of Christ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity