Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM

372 posts, read 710,231 times

Advertisements

This is not a debate, I though talked with a man who heads a missionary baptist church who told me that Jesus did not descend into hell after he died. I did not know that was a thinking. It made me start looking and saw that many in baptist forums say this and it must be there doctrine. Is this indeed apart of their doctrine and belief( baptist, southern baptist?)

I was then told that protestants don't believe that he went to hades( hell).

I was raised in an evangelical type setting, I was taught that he died physically and went into hell and then was resurrected from the dead, so to be told that protestants don't believe that, well that is not true at least from my stand point. Of course this is what my parents told me who went to church every sunday and led bible studies and ministered.

Can anyone tell me though what denominations tend to not believe in his descent into hell? Is it more of a split between the old mainline faiths and evangelicals? Is this more common than I think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
When my Sunday school teacher said Jesus died and went to hell, I found it ironically ridiculous. But supposedly he conquered hell and it took him three days. It was definately a Protestant/evangelical church. I wonder if such a belief is biblical though.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
There is much debate on whether Jesus actually went to hell when He died. The problem seems to be a mis-translation of the Bible for this particular scripture. Apparently he went to Hades, and not Hell. (there is a big difference) For some reason the translators chose to use the word "Hell" instead of "Hades". There are a zillion links to this subject if you do a Google search...this is just one of many that show up:
The KJV says that at his death, Jesus went to hell? (http://www.scripturessay.com/article.php?cat=&id=128 - broken link)

I don't know which denominations are saying Jesus went to Hell. (vs Hades).

Bud

Old 08-13-2011, 02:18 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
I don't know what the various denominations believe about this question, but I know what I believe. Jesus descended into hell by being born into this world of mortality. Hell is the hidden place, the grave. The womb is a type of tomb where all of Adam's descendents are buried. Jesus suffered and died in hell and he was the firstborn from among the dead. God raised Jesus from the dead and Jesus is emptying hell by drawing all men unto himself. Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity