Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

I am agnostic, I just dont know whats out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 10:08 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,405 times
Assemblies of God

The scriptures are inspired by God.

The Father Son and Holy Spirit commonly known as the trinity.

In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ as Gods son was both human and divine.

We believe...though originally good, Man willingly fell to sin-
ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.

Every person can have restored fellowship with God through salvation (accepting Christ offer of forgiveness of sin).

Believe and practice two ordinances (1) Water Baptism by immersion after repenting of ones sins and receiving Christ gift of salvation and (2) Holy Communion ( The Lords Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ suffering and death for our salvation.

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a special experience following salvation.

The Initial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues.

Sanctification Initially occurs at salvation. and is not only declaration that a believer is holy but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christ like.

A divinely called and scripturally ordained Leadership ministry serves the church. We have a Pastor and Elders.

The second coming

The Millennial Reign of Christ

The final Judgment

Heaven
That Christ is preparing for all people of all time, who have accepted him.
We will live and dwell with him there forever following his millennial reign on earth.

And so shall we forever be with the Lord!

Last edited by DBNN; 04-19-2007 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
Great posts everyone! Thank you!
I have enjoyed reading them all!!
Please remember to be nice and no attacks for beliefs. Everyone is free to share.

Another quick question...for those that believe in Communion...Is communion allowed immediately after salvation? Or does your denomination require that you go through a class or ?? in order to partake? As for salvation...do you believe a person is saved the moment they pray and ask for forgiveness? Or do you believe one must go through a "ritual" of sorts? Ritual is probably not the appropriate word I am looking for. But I know some denominations that require people to go through a classes or studies before they are considered to be fully "saved".

Again, thanks everyone! I really appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to share! Keep them coming!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
[quote=kawgpz550;599473]
Another quick question...for those that believe in Communion...Is communion allowed immediately after salvation? Or does your denomination require that you go through a class or ?? in order to partake? As for salvation...do you believe a person is saved the moment they pray and ask for forgiveness? Or do you believe one must go through a "ritual" of sorts? Ritual is probably not the appropriate word I am looking for. But I know some denominations that require people to go through a classes or studies before they are considered to be fully "saved".

In my church (Baptist) the Lords Supper is for all saved people, no classes needed. Yes we believe a person is saved the moment they pray and ask for forgiveness and invite Jesus into their heart, no ritual or classed needed because Jesus took care of that on the cross.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
In my church we take the sacrament (communion as others call it) every Sunday. We believe the bread represents Christ's body and the water represents His atoning blood he shed for us. Each week as we partake of the sacrament we are in a sense asking for forgiveness for our daily sins and reenforcing the covenants we made with the Lord at baptism.

Our sacramental prayers:
"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread (water) to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body (blood) of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:47 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I attend an interdenominational charismatic church. Our theology is very much like the baptists (salvation through faith in the atoning work of Christ) except that we believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit which are discussed in the Bible are available for believers today. We also do not believe, as most baptists do "once saved, always saved." ( We do believe in a believer's security in Christ, but we also think you can choose to walk away from grace and that some do.) My background growing up was baptist. I began attending an episcopal charismatic group with my husband in college.
I am a Baptist and a LOT of Baptist Churches are changing their vision of "guaranteed salvation". Most Baptist agree miracles and the Power of The Holy Spirit EXIST and ARE AVALABLE to all believers.

Now what Baptists do NOT like is people making funny noises PRETENDING to have received The Holy Spirit. If you are just playing noise games and you are saying that is the Holy Spirit, then it is Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Paul said:

1 Thessalonians 5:21
Test everything. Hold on to the good.

That means you can be a Baptist or Pentecostal and see someone pretending to have the Holy Spirit and be pretending just to "fit in". That goes for Prophecies as well.

Also... 1 Corinthians 14:2-28

Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.

For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.

If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

This means: no yelling and acting up in church. Or you go against the Gospel of Truth. Remember that God is not a God of confusion, but of Peace.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Respect does NOT mean you have to agree with other religions and it does NOT mean you have to accept "crazy concepts" that God is all the same.

I can respectfully say: God is NOT Allah. God is NOT Buddha. God is NOT the Indian elephant with 8 arms (Ghanesh is it's name???)

And yet, I can RESPECT these people who believe what they believe. Just because I disagree with them, it doesn't mean I am being disrespectful.

EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO BELIEVE IN WHAT THEY WANT BUT ONCE THEY TRY TO INTIMIDATE OTHER RELIGIONS BY USING THE COURTS (EX. MICHAEL NEWDOW -AN ATHEIEST USING THE COURTS TO ATTACK CHRISTIANS AND ETC OR MUSLIMS IN MINNESOTA TRYING TO USE THE COURTS TO BE ABLE TO PRACTICE POLYGAMY), MY RESPECT FOR THAT PERSON IS GONE.

I believe that the Founding Fathers intended for all religions to co-exist and one not bully the other through the courts.

Trying to force your beliefs on others is wrong. That is why Osama Bin Laden is a hated man... by ALL people of all religions.

Why are their concepts crazy and not yours? just curious?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
Assemblies of God

The scriptures are inspired by God.

The Father Son and Holy Spirit commonly known as the trinity.

In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ as Gods son was both human and divine.

We believe...though originally good, Man willingly fell to sin-
ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.

Every person can have restored fellowship with God through salvation (accepting Christ offer of forgiveness of sin).

Believe and practice two ordinances (1) Water Baptism by immersion after repenting of ones sins and receiving Christ gift of salvation and (2) Holy Communion ( The Lords Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ suffering and death for our salvation.

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a special experience following salvation.

The Initial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues.

Sanctification Initially occurs at salvation. and is not only declaration that a believer is holy but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christ like.

A divinely called and scripturally ordained Leadership ministry serves the church. We have a Pastor and Elders.

The second coming

The Millennial Reign of Christ

The final Judgment

Heaven
That Christ is preparing for all people of all time, who have accepted him.
We will live and dwell with him there forever following his millennial reign on earth.

And so shall we forever be with the Lord!
same for me. also have a little baptist in me.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
Islam allows polygamy, but does not dictate. In fact, Islam discourages it. Polygamy is actually a cultural custom, not religious, in the Middle East.

Oh, and Buddhists don't worship Buddha. Buddhists can be atheists, monotheists, or polytheists.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
I do not believe in organized religion. I was born a Roman Catholic and was devout until I left Catholic school.

There is no proof that God isn't an alien and vis versa. I do know that Jesus, Buddha, Moses, Mohammad existed (among others).

The bible was the first law book or book of rules incased in story telling.

Modern day Christians (mostly in the US) think they have the market cornered on everything from hell and damnation to who is going to meet their creator.

I would give anything to read the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity