Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM

23,036 posts, read 34,473,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So which of the ten can't you keep?
For me personally there have been times when I did not put God first in my life and it breaking the first commandment.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,156,069 times
#2 (Idol worship) and #10 (don't covet) are tricky.

First #10. Coveting does not necessarily manifest itself by any outward behavior. You may covet something someone else has for just a split second in your mind. I know it happens to me sometimes. Therefore did you keep the tenth commandment? No.

Now onto Idol worship. I don't think many people make a graven image of a golden calf and worship it. But that is not the only kind of idol it is talking about. Is there something in your life that you put above the Lord? Are you focused on something other than God? Even "pet doctrines" can become an idol. There are many idols of the heart.

Even #6 is tough sometimes. Thou shalt not murder. Now of course most people don't go around murderering others. But the bible says if you hate someone in your heart, you are a murderer.

All of the commands are about what is in your heart.

And no I don't follow the commandments perfectly (even though I try to), I don't think anyone can either.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,683,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I've been doing it for years. It's not hard at all. I'm sure it can be hard for the weak minded at times...and you can read and watch in the news that many do not.
But I made a decision years ago to follow these ten commandments...and still do so today.
I've kept them for approximately 5 to 6 months now Rance...and it hasn't been hard at all to do so...it has, in fact, been a joy!
I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would say that you can not keep them UNLESS they were just unable to do so themselves, and were decieved into believing that they can't. God's Word says WE CAN!!! Jesus commands us to do so..IF WE LOVE HIM!!! Well, I LOVE HIM!!!

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 AM

23,036 posts, read 34,473,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
#2 (Idol worship) and #10 (don't covet) are tricky.

First #10. Coveting does not necessarily manifest itself by any outward behavior. You may covet something someone else has for just a split second in your mind. I know it happens to me sometimes. Therefore did you keep the tenth commandment? No.

Now onto Idol worship. I don't think many people make a graven image of a golden calf and worship it. But that is not the only kind of idol it is talking about. Is there something in your life that you put above the Lord? Are you focused on something other than God? Even "pet doctrines" can become an idol. There are many idols of the heart.

Even #6 is tough sometimes. Thou shalt not murder. Now of course most people don't go around murderering others. But the bible says if you hate someone in your heart, you are a murderer.

All of the commands are about what is in your heart.

And no I don't follow the commandments perfectly (even though I try to), I don't think anyone can either.
Guess what I agree with you on this one!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,225,944 times
I agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The commandements are a mirror, a school master. To show how wretched we are and it reaveals sin to us, how sinful sin is; how Holy He is and that we are in desperate need of a savior. One shouldn't keep it in order to obtain salvation-that is not what it is used for. The Apostle Paul said, he would not know sin if not for the Law, the Law creates sin, Paul said the Law killed him but what do I know according to Beloved I am false because I don't possess the truth either.
this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No can keep ALL of the 10 Commandments, but that does not mean we are not born again. Galatians 3:24 "Let me put it another way. The law was our guardian and teacher to lead us until Christ came. So now through faith in Christ, we are made right with God".
The law teaches us the need for salvation, and God's grace give us that salvation.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Because people apply following the 10 commandments to being without sin.
One thing missing in contemporary Christianity is preaching on the Cross - how it effects you and me in the renewing of the spirit man. No one can keep the Law, but it is His intention by His spirit to put the old (carnal) man to death and reside in us as a new, Living spirit.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
The commandements are a mirror, a school master. To show how wretched we are and it reaveals sin to us, how sinful sin is; how Holy He is and that we are in desperate need of a savior. One shouldn't keep it in order to obtain salvation-that is not what it is used for. The Apostle Paul said, he would not know sin if not for the Law, the Law creates sin, Paul said the Law killed him but what do I know according to Beloved I am false because I don't possess the truth either.
Correct...I'm not keeping them thinking that I am "all-that," in fact, I know I will NEVER ~ EVER know what is in the mind of God...or all that He holds in His heart...BUT!...I do know how to read...and I read His Word daily...hourly...minutely...and I read over and over again that we should keep His commandments...and that if we do...we WILL ENTER INTO THE KINGDOM OF GOD!!!...and if we tell others to do the same...we WILL BE CALLED THE GREATEST IN HIS KINGDOM!!!

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,948,151 times
Don't get me wrong...there was a time when I didn't make an attempt to live my life by these 10 simple rules. And it's a daily struggle to do so now. But my life is much simpler and more rewarding in doing so.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,090,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...and I'm here to tell you all that I DO keep the 10 commandments...I am not deceived...and I am born-again!

My question is this...

Why is it that so many think that they can not keep the 10 commandments?..I have an idea why...because of the false teachings of Modern Christianity today!...teaching false doctrine! God says I can keep them just by asking me to do so!! What kind of God would command you to do something that He knew you could not do? Our God wouldn't!!....and His Word says WE CAN!!!...and WE BETTER IF WE LOVE HIM!!!

What is so difficult in keeping them?

Let's look at them...and do I keep them?

1. You must not have any other God but Me.
Do I keep this one? YES.

2. You must not make any idol or graven image and worship it.
Do I keep this one? YES.

3. Do not misuse the name of the Lord my God.
Do I keep this one? YES.

4. Observe the Sabbath and keep it holy unto the Lord.
Do I keep this one? YES.

5. Honor your father and mother.
Do I keep this one? YES.

6. You must not murder.
Do I keep this one? YES.

7. You must not committ adultery.
Do I keep this one? YES.

8. You must not steal.
Do I keep this one? YES.

9. You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.
Do I keep this one? YES.

10. You must not covet your neighbors wife/husband or their belongings.
Do I keep this one? YES.

...and it is a joy!!! Hallelujuah!!! Praise His Holy, Awesome Name!!!

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Have you ever told a lie? Ever stolen? Ever used the Lord's name in vain? Can you say honestly that you've never broken a single one of them?

If you're counting on your ability to keep the commandments to earn you salvatino you're under a works-righteousness system.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,948,151 times
I can honestly say I have broken some of them. I don't deny that. And I do not count on my ability to keep them as a way to earn salvation.
I can also admit I would be a terrible mess without them.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Have you ever told a lie?
Yes...many!
Quote:
Ever stolen?
Yes...right down to a purple pen.
Quote:
Ever used the Lord's name in vain?
Oh YES!...I used to be a "biker-mama!"
Quote:
Can you say honestly that you've never broken a single one of them?
Nope, I could never honestly say that I've never broken one...and I've never said that either. What I am saying is that I have kept the 10 commandments now for approximately 5 to 6 months now. I've been saying this for the past 5 to 6 months now on many of my other posts.
Quote:
If you're counting on your ability to keep the commandments to earn you salvatinon you're under a works-righteousness system.
Nope...not counting on keeping them to "earn" my salvation either...I'm keeping them because God's Word tells us to keep them. I don't even call myself saved...because I believe that we are pronounced "saved!" when we stand in front of our KING, JESUS at His second coming, and His precious mouth declares me saved!...THEN I KNOW I am saved!

In Christ's love,
Verna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity