Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,775,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
Sorry but free will is what it is all about unless you believe that God works for you that he is in service of his creation then free will would be bad because that would mean God isn't just and fair that his creation isn't unique. Free will does not me the loss of control for God in fact queit the opposite it is that free will that demonstates God is good with out it there would be no reason for our existance. God didn't create for the creations benifit but he benifits his creation. And in so doing he is good thats what is all about, God is good, God is good oh and by the way God is good.
Rom 9:19-24
"Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?"

I think it is pretty clear God creates the vessels for dishonor for the purpose of demonstrating the riches of his glory to the vessels of honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, my question is, how can we truly have free will when God who is love, works all things according to the counsel of His own will? We are His servants, His creatures, and under His sovereignty. We bow to Him and He does not bow to us We are not sovereign. Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess to the glory of God the Father. God bless.
Amen Shana ...

Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,957,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, my question is, how can we truly have free will when God who is love, works all things according to the counsel of His own will? We are His servants, His creatures, and under His sovereignty. We bow to Him and He does not bow to us We are not sovereign. Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess to the glory of God the Father. God bless.

The problem is that the term free will is discussed apart from how it applies to scripture. It is the nature in which we are free according to scripture that matters.

There is no explanation for how a person gives a voluntary offering if they are not free to do so, but are being controlled to do so.

Ex 35:29 Every man and woman whose heart made them willing to bring for all the work which Yahweh had instructed to do by the hand of Moses, the sons of Israel brought as a voluntary offering to Yahweh.

We are free within what is possible for us to understand.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:05 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,202,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Good point - we are free to move within our understanding (which is limited, and remember - we're talking about the carnal mind here).

So here we are, corrupt and destitute.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM

14,911 posts, read 17,219,900 times
Hi, I do believe that we have self wills or personal wills that we exercise voluntarily but I don't believe that it is absolutely free in the sense that nothing influences it or causes us to act. Free will to me means that nothing influences the choices or decisions that we make. God bless.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The problem is that the term free will is discussed apart from how it applies to scripture. It is the nature in which we are free according to scripture that matters.

There is no explanation for how a person gives a voluntary offering if they are not free to do so, but are being controlled to do so.

Ex 35:29 Every man and woman whose heart made them willing to bring for all the work which Yahweh had instructed to do by the hand of Moses, the sons of Israel brought as a voluntary offering to Yahweh.

First of all free will is not even mentioned in the bible once. However, Gods sovereignty is mentioned multiple times and in various ways.

God hardens and opens peoples heart as he sees fit. God put it in the heart of Timothy to love the Corinthians(2 Cor 8:16), and Satan(who is a dignitary of God as we find written in the book of Jude) put it in the heart of Ananias to lie. Also God hardened Pharaohs heart among others. What about Lydia of Thyatira?

Acts 16:14
"And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul."

Just a few examples of how spiritual realities which are all controlled by God persuade and influence the hearts and thus the decisions of mankind.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
First of all free will is not even mentioned in the bible once. However, Gods sovereignty is mentioned multiple times and in various ways.
Having freedom within Gods boundaries does not negate Gods sovereignty and I have never denied Gods sovereignty so it doesn't matter how many times it appears.

As far as the phrase "free will" not being in the bible, again, it depends on the translation, so, that argument is not very well grounded.

Look at a hebrew word that get translated to "willing, voluntary and free will"

H5068 nadab naw-dab'
a primitive root;
to impel; hence, to volunteer (as a soldier), to present spontaneously:--offer
freely, be (give, make, offer self) willing(-ly).

Explain how one is willing if he simply is being controlled.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Having freedom within Gods boundaries does not negate Gods sovereignty and I have never denied Gods sovereignty so it doesn't matter how many times it appears.

As far as the phrase "free will" not being in the bible, again, it depends on the translation, so, that argument is not very well grounded.

Look at a hebrew word that get translated to "willing, voluntary and free will"

H5068 nadab naw-dab'
a primitive root;
to impel; hence, to volunteer (as a soldier), to present spontaneously:--offer
freely, be (give, make, offer self) willing(-ly).

Explain how one is willing if he simply is being controlled.
The fact is its an apparent paradox isn't it? If i am free to walk around the confines of a jail cell does that mean i'm free? The spirit of God convicts our hearts and through the spirit the father draws us to Christ. No one comes to Christ unless the father draws them(Jhn 6:44).

Old 07-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The fact is its an apparent paradox isn't it? If i am free to walk around the confines of a jail cell does that mean i'm free? The spirit of God convicts our hearts and through the spirit the father draws us to Christ. No one comes to Christ unless the father draws them(Jhn 6:44).
It's not a paradox, it explains the nature of our will. Free will is a term that is valid, but mostly not applied correctly.

You are free in the jail cell within the boundaries of what is possible.

Are you free to walk out? Not usually, are you free to pray there? Of course, are you free to let it get to you and get depressed and wallow in self pity there, yes you are.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
Most everyone has a different take on this sovereignty/free will issue. You cannot think otherwise until God unlocks you from the prison of stubbornness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity