Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hi,

You have bolded the phrase "age of the ages" so I assume that's what you're having trouble with?

If I said to you that Jesus is King of kings and Lord of lords, you would understand that I meant He is the most superior king of all kings and the most superior lord of all lords, yes?

So, if the smoke ascends TO the age of ages, it simply means it is the supreme age, the grand finale of the ages, the age where God's glorious plan is complete. That is my understanding. Hope that helps a bit.
I agree. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,903,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Also remember one other very salient point: God intervenes very actively in true Christians' lives even to the point of killing them to keep them in line with His will. But the unsaved He does not deal with at all. He lets them live out their lives sometimes to a ripe old age totally oblivious to Him. Why does He intervene so dramatically in Christians' lives while the unsaved He just leaves alone?
That's not true thrillo... See Daniel chapter 4. Also Saul was unsaved, God chose him. In fact every time and unsaved person turns to Christ it is because God just actively dealt with him.
  • John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
  • John 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 PM

and Jonah sent to Nineveh...God bless.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,903,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
and Jonah sent to Nineveh...God bless.
Yup... good one.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Folks,

Scripture wasn't meant to be confusing...why are we making it such?
God is Omnscent and Omnipotent...to grasp that is beyond our own linear understanding.
The book of Job is a great place to start when we begin to think we can understand the workings and enormous intricacy of God and His plan.

Be pious, suit up, show up, work hard, and praise Him always.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:41 PM

Sciotamicks, who is making scripture confusing? We are studying God's word, hopefully praying for understanding. He gave it to us to learn from and there are some things that He has revealed. Be blessed.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Folks,

Scripture wasn't meant to be confusing...why are we making it such?
God is Omnscent and Omnipotent...to grasp that is beyond our own linear understanding.
The book of Job is a great place to start when we begin to think we can understand the workings and enormous intricacy of God and His plan.

Be pious, suit up, show up, work hard, and praise Him always.

Not hard to understand

Tree of good and evil - eat you die

In Adam -> all die as all have sinned (seems we have all eaten of the tree)

In Christ -> All will be made alive

God is the saviour of all men, especially believers
note especially does not mean only (as preterists say words mean what they mean) the same as shortly means shortly especially means especially not only

Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Thrillobyte here is the verse:

1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

There you go Thrillobyte. Are you NOW going to be the one to say context, Greek , etc..?

There it is in the King James Version in plain language. You asked for it and you got it. So are you going to now come off that fence and proclaim that your a universalist?

Paul
Well, yeah, Paul I guess it's as good as I'm going to find, even lacking the one thing I wanted which was a reference in the same breath to ET. But, as meerkat pointed out, such a scripture probably doesn't exist. And it IS pretty compelling. Of course I've heard it numerous times before and part of my struggle was trying to square it with the ET scripture, which is what UR'ers keep saying has been mistranslated, or mistransliterated, or is symbolic, or is figurative. Funny how the stuff that supports UR never has these four problems; it's only the ET stuff that does. And, lately, I feel like I'm the sole voice crying in the wilderness; all the other ET'ers seem to have abandoned me in this debate, leaving me to man the fort by myself, which is funny because I'm not even a dye-in-the-wool ET'er and here I am doing the debating w/ about 10 UR'ers all by my lonesome. Guess they threw in the towel and it's probably time I did the same. I bow to public opinion. As I did with the rapture, no more flag-waving for me, but it was interesting and informative while it lasted.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 08-03-2009 at 12:17 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 PM

God bless you, thrillobyte.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, yeah, Paul I guess it's as good as I'm going to find, even lacking the one thing I wanted which was a reference in the same breath to ET. But, as meerkat pointed out, such a scripture probably doesn't exist. And it IS pretty compelling. Of course I've heard it numerous times before and part of my struggle was trying to square it with the ET scripture, which is what UR'ers keep saying has been mistranslated, or mistransliterated, or is symbolic, or is figurative. Funny how the stuff that supports UR never has these four problems; it's only the ET stuff that does. And, lately, I feel like I'm the sole voice crying in the wilderness; all the other ET'ers seem to have abandoned me in this debate, leaving me to man the fort by myself, which is funny because I'm not even a dye-in-the-wool ET'er and here I am doing the debating w/ about 10 UR'ers all my my lonesome. Guess they threw in the towel and it's probably time I did the same. I bow to public opinion. As I did with the rapture, no more flag-waving for me, but it was interesting and informative while it lasted.
I guess it depends on are you searching for truth for yourself or are you searching for concensus of opinion between UR's and ET's?

For me it was a personal search for truth and not so much of a debate.

I have come to my own conclusion but I am still studying and open to any further information on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity