Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
What do I think? I think if I wasn't being treated for my bipolar disorder that I most likely would be cussing everybody out on this forum.

Here is a post of mine from another thread concerning the same thing that applies here too, I think.

I wish people would start viewing mental illness as any other kind of illness. It's a sickness that affects your mind, body, soul and spirit just like any other major illness. Would someone with cancer simply forego treatment because they were counting on being healed? Some might, but they are going to suffer tremendously if it is not God's will for them to be healed! But most people would take advantage of the gift that God has given in medical advances and treatments and give thanks for living in a time where we have access to these treatments and medications.

How angry does it make us when stubborn, backward "religious" parents let their child die from something that could have very easily been cured by modern medicine?? Same thing. Don't let your friend die a slow, painful death.....he is not capable of getting help for himself. He needs someone to take charge for him, make appointments, drive him there and stay with him.

There's no difference between mental and physical illness. It all needs to be treated and we all need to be thankful to God for the intelligent people who discovered these treatments. We must make the most of this life with what we have, and if what we have can save our lives then we are obligated (imo) to do it. I can guarantee you that your friend is having suicidal thoughts and he needs intervention NOW. God bless you for caring and please see that he gets the help he needs. He can once again be the person you remember, but he needs help getting there."
I would like to second and third what Ilene has said about this topic. I will recount a post I did earlier where I explained my experience w/ depression:

Thrillobyte:

Quote:
That's a slippery slope re pharmaceuticals, Eusebius. I suffered a near-fatal case of clinical depression about 10 years ago---by near-fatal, I mean my weight was dropping like a stone, despite consuming lots of food and the stress on my heart was tremendous. My brain chemicals were totally out of whack; it had nothing to do with some terrible event in my life. I prayed and prayed, I had Church Elders pray for me too, to no avail. Finally, I went to a psychiatrist, who prescribed an antidepressant. Fixed me up, just like that. The effects were almost immediate. Within a month I was cured. Now did God fail me? Heaven forbid, no. In His wisdom He chose not to give me a supernatural healing, but I got a "miracle cure" nontheless. Anyone who knows anything about antidepressants knows that there are dozens out there and each person responds differently to each one. So it's a real crap-shoot. Most people have to try a number of them before the right one clicks. To make matters worse, it takes about 3-4 weeks before the effects to kick in. I got it on the first try, and I desperately needed it to work on the first try. That demonstrated to me that God has no qualms about someone using pharmaceuticals to effect a cure for something. But it's the intentions of the heart that truly matter. A desire to get high is probably sinful, but as a side effect of an otherwise valuable medication, it is probably okay, if that's not the primary intention of the person.
Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 08-06-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
i have worked with psych clients--i think a combination of medication,personal counseling AND PRAYER(for strength and guidance)does wonders----God does watch over us and i do believe praying to Him to give us the strength TO GO OUT AND SEEK HELP is essential!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Default I Think I Understand...

I believe it is a dangerous assumption when some churches/cults think every single mental illness is caused by "demons". Some may indeed be caused by that, but I'd guess the percentage to be very low. There are many other causes, like, for example, the chemical imbalance that was already mentioned. My wife has been diagnosed with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), as well as chronic depression. (among other things) The meds her doctors prescribed help tremendously, but it's still a very rough road. I've seen what happens when she doesn't take her meds, and it's not a pretty picture.

For whatever reason, her body does not manufacture any serotonin, a critical element involved in brain function. For those with a loved one with mental problems...my heart and prayers go out to you...because we're in the same boat. The entire family, and relatives, are, unfortunately, affected. (negatively) (Like: alienation, isolation, avoidance of the one with the mental condition, hurt feelings and relationships, anger, refusing to speak to one another, etc) (and the spouse so often gets left awkwardly stuck in the middle) Don't be afraid to let your doctors treat the condition. Here's a passage that's helped encourage me:

Ephesians 6:13
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Sometimes you do all you know to do, and there's nothing left you can do...except stand...firmly...resolved...unmoving...face set like a flint. You must do what you know is right, in spite of contrary opinion of others...even from close family members.

Still standing...
Bud
Seward, Ak

Old 08-06-2009, 03:05 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
I've seen mental illness healed by many methods, all of which have been mentioned.
I'd say, use all the tools in the toolbox till you find what works.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Thanks for the replies. I am glad to hear that there are actually Christians who believe you should treat a mental illness! For many many years I knew that my husband was bipolar but nobody wanted to hear it! Now my daughter was officially diagnosed with it and add. And my son's diagnosis is educable mental disorder. Which we knew from the time he was about 4 or 5 but those crazy church folks still somehow talked me into dealing with him like he was just your average kid. You know with spankings and expecting to much from him. But hopefully everything will be okay now that we know for sure what is going on with our daughter.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I am glad, Dani that your H, and children are getting the help they need now..It hurts me to see someone suffer from not seeking good medical advice..I have 2 grandchildren with ADHD and I thank God every day for the meds they take
My sister also has a mental disorder but refuses to stay on meds for it and has made her life and that of those around her pretty miserable at times..

Old 05-14-2014, 03:05 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
I believe in the power of prayer but I have to say if you think it will work for mental illness I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken. I worked in a psych hospital and there are drugs that in some cases do not even help. The cause of such things as bipolar disorder is a chemical imbalance of the brain.
The problem with the medication that is out there is that it was never meant or tested on people under 30 years of age which is why you see so many tragic incidents with people under 30 taking these drugs.
Some of these cases of ADHD are nothing more than a lack of exercise. Some schools have stopped gym classes and/or recess. You can't expect a child to sit at a desk for 8 hours a day without blowing off some steam. In addition when kids get home from school they sit in front of the computer or tv, there is little to no exercise.
If you're child had cancer would you seek medical help or pray.

Last edited by PJ1252; 05-14-2014 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: omission

Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 AM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I believe it is a dangerous assumption when some churches/cults think every single mental illness is caused by "demons". Some may indeed be caused by that, but I'd guess the percentage to be very low.
Sorry . . . but the belief that ANY mental illnesses are caused by demons is itself a form of mental illness.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,224 times
Clearly, there is a body-soul-spirit connection that when out of balance can indeed affect our physical, spiritual and mental health. My youngest son has a bipolar-psychosis bordering on schizophrenia. He'd been on several anti-psychotics, etc., before finding relief from lithium and another med called Geodon. Is his mental illness spiritual in nature? Personally, being his closest confidante I'd say there is some root spiritual component to his disorder(s). Would or could he be helped by prayer alone? NO! Numerous studies have shown prayerful believers recover quicker from traumas, surgeries and illnesses of all varieties. However, to withhold professional medical treatment from someone, especially a child trusted by God to a parent's care is criminal. When I read accounts of children who's deaths could have been prevented had their parents obtained proper medical care for them I am heartbroken and deeply troubled. Likewise, when every and all illness is blamed on the work of demons. While certainly not outside the realm of possibility, it is hardly the norm. I believe the holistic approach of the body-soul-spirit as referred to in Scripture brings about complete healing, as opposed to a simple symptomatic approach.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I have a good reason for asking this but I don't want to get into it right now. I am just curious because when I was in church it was taboo to treat a mental type illness. You were just supposed to pray. Or make a "decision" to change. (as if all mental illness sypmtoms were by choice). It was all chocked up to demonic activity. The illnesses I am thinking of are things like ADD, ADHD, depression, bipolar disorder, etc...
It really depends on the "illness". Some people can cope with more than others and some have a condition that requires medical assistance. The worst situation is to try to do more than a person is realistically able to do. God can help, but if He helped everyone there would be no sickness and there is. Uniquely we find minimal healing in the NT of believers, so it can be assumed as a rare event. Pray on the way to the doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity