Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,828 times

Advertisements

The thread on wives submitting to their husbands got me thinking about 1 Peter 3:1 (Likewise ye wives, be in subjection to our own husbands)

What makes me wonder is how we are all suppsosed to be equal but the word subjection implies that the husband is superior. Subject: to bring under control or dominion:Subjugate. To make amenable to the discipline of and control of a superior.

Now look at Subjugate: to bring under the yoke, to force to submit control and governance. To bring into servitude:Enslave.....

Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
The entire subject is under the precept that the husband will submit to Christ, and love his wife as He loves the Church.

Without that foundation, the marriage (and the country as we've seen) is built on sand. As a microcosm, my wife submits and resists as my submission to the Lord comes and goes.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,788 times
It's because the bible was made up by some old men who based the bible off of their times and during their times men were above women in everything. The sooner people let go of religion and move towards science, the sooner we will find cures for cancer, diabetes, etc.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:01 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,591,041 times
Please dont confuse salvation with order/preference that God may have.

We are ALL equal in salvation.....which has nothing to do with who is the head of a home or who gets their prayers answered first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
The thread on wives submitting to their husbands got me thinking about 1 Peter 3:1 (Likewise ye wives, be in subjection to our own husbands)

What makes me wonder is how we are all suppsosed to be equal but the word subjection implies that the husband is superior. Subject: to bring under control or dominion:Subjugate. To make amenable to the discipline of and control of a superior.

Now look at Subjugate: to bring under the yoke, to force to submit control and governance. To bring into servitude:Enslave.....

Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The entire subject is under the precept that the husband will submit to Christ, and love his wife as He loves the Church.

Without that foundation, the marriage (and the country as we've seen) is built on sand. As a microcosm, my wife submits and resists as my submission to the Lord comes and goes.
Elmer, may I copy and quote this post? I just want to sorta drop it in my h's popcorn some night.. Might make him think a bit

Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
1 Peter 3:1-2 "In the same way, you wives musts accept the authority of your husbands, even those who refuse to accept the Good News. Your Godly lives will speak to them better than any words. They will be won over by watching your pure, Godly behavior".

Peter was reassuring women who were married to unbelievers that they did not need to preach to their husbands. Their best approach would be to live a Godly life.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Elmer, may I copy and quote this post? I just want to sorta drop it in my h's popcorn some night.. Might make him think a bit
Sure, but I'm not liable...

Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Speaking as a "husband", I don't think that will work.

Try sneaking him the note in a big plate of......

BACON

Old 12-05-2008, 05:45 AM

352 posts, read 553,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
It's because the bible was made up by some old men who based the bible off of their times and during their times men were above women in everything. The sooner people let go of religion and move towards science, the sooner we will find cures for cancer, diabetes, etc.
And if science can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that God doesn't exist, then people may. And what does religion have to do with finding cures for cancer? Last time I checked I heard that it was because of things like religion that people were able to put their cancer into remission. It gives a person hope and a desire to live, which studies in psychology has shown increases the chances of a person being able to fight their cancer. To the OP, I sincerely apologize for getting off topic.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
It's sad that society will try everything else first before aknowledging that God's law is right, and beneficial to those who do it. As I said, it takes a godly man to head a household - one that comes home from a day's work to simply crash on the couch will earn no respect from his family, in spite of his claim of earning the bread and coming home to his castle.

No, humbly submitting ourselves to God creates a confidence that's strangely attractive to our wives, and brings with it wisdom to lead and the heart to cherish the family that God has given him.

A woman knows when she's cherished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.