Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:57 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder James III View Post
Rev. Fredrick Augustus Ross (1796-1883), an unrepentent apologist for the Slavocracy, asserted in his book Slavery Ordained of God that God had empowered Anglo-Saxons to enslave Africans as a connection between the highest and lowest races of men, "revealing influences which may be, and will be, most benevolent for the ultimate good of the master and the slave." Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest, schemed to have Jesus murdered to save Israel from a supposed threat of annihilation by the Romans (Jn. 11:45-52). And Joseph, who rose to become second to the Pharaoh in Egypt, was sold into slavery by his brothers (Gen. 37:1-36). In all these narratives, Ross, Caiaphas and the brothers of Joseph, God evidently had a hidden agenda that would bring glory to Him and advance His kingdom.

If a literal interpretation of Isaiah 45:5-8 is taken, as is my inclination, it can be confidently stated that God ordained American slavery, the scheming of Caiaphas and the sale of Joseph by his brothers. But God hates sin (Zech 8:17) and most observers would agree that American slavery, the sale of Joseph and the murder of Jesus, in contrast to their noble results, were sinful enterprises. Consequently, even though on most good days I am somewhat right of center on this question, I am too often painfully conflicted and therefore openly seeking to be enlightened.

Could the solution be in a paradox waiting by providential design to be revealed later (1 Cor 13:12)? Should our faith be hindered merely because we cannot grasp all we desire to know about Him (Isaiah 55:9)? Should Christians become combative toward other Believers who disagree on some minor points of interpretation? Did God or did He not, based on exegetical arguments, ordain American Slavery?
Consideration of what is meant by the term: 'to ordain' is obviously crucial to understanding the problem. I am of the understanding that 'to ordain' basically means 'to authorize' - 'to sanction' or 'to empower.'

If God did not authorize American slavery, could it have happened? If God is truly sovereign, the answer must be in the negative.

We know that certain creatures are capable of committing sin - however, they can only commit the sin that God authorizes, sanctions or empowers them to commit.

Why did God authorize American slavery? Why does God authorize sin of any kind? This all leads to the great age old problem/mystery of evil, doesn't it. I, for one, take great comfort in the fact that the greatest theological minds in all of history have been perplexed by this very question. At least I'm in good company.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM

62 posts, read 96,587 times
Default Speaking of Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
What book is this?
I assume the reference is to the book by Fredrick Ross mentioned in my first post. The exact date of Ross' book is in dispute but, based on content, it evidently was published on the eve of the Civil War, say early 1861, at the latest. That would make it longer than the time span mentioned by about 42 years, according to my research, but certainly not contradictory in spirit.

The first abducted Africans, two dozen or so, arrived in Jamestown in 1619 on an English warship named the White Lion under the command of Reverend John Colyn Jope, a Calvinist Minister. Actually the involuntary immigrants were twice abducted, first in Angola by a Portuguese raiding party and then again in Gulf of Mexico while enroute to Vera Cruz on a slave ship named the San Juan Bautista (Saint John the Baptist) under the command of Captain Manuel Mendes de Acuna. Captain Acuna's ship was attacked by the White Lion and another ship named the Treasurer under the command of Captain Daniel Elfrith. Some of Captain Acuna's slave cargo was transferred to the White Lion and the Treasurer with Captain Jope arriving at Jamestown a few days ahead of Elfrith to trade his pirated captives for food and supplies.

The story is much more involved but I have tried to offer enough basic details so that some research might affirm or impeach my words. I personally am intrigued by the fact that the first slave ship to arrive in America, if my research is accurate, was named the Saint John the Baptist. The relationship of this seemingly obscure element to some of the subsequent and still unfolding spiritual developments in America is what led me to reply to the comments of InsaneInDaMembrane.

If my assumption is incorrect about the first abducted Africans to arrive in America or if my research is deficient in another way, I earnestly invite someone to put me on the correct path at their earliest convenience. It would save me from some painful embarrassment in the future, that is, if I have not already crossed that line.

Whatever the case, I am absolutely certain the Hand of God was at work in the matter whenever the first Africans arrived just as was the case when the Europeans first arrived. He always leaves His fingerprints as visible aids to those who rejoice in diligently studying His Story in contrast to merely reading history (John 8:32).

God bless! Keep the Faith!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Default Is God Sovereign Over Everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Consideration of what is meant by the term: 'to ordain' is obviously crucial to understanding the problem. I am of the understanding that 'to ordain' basically means 'to authorize' - 'to sanction' or 'to empower.'

If God did not authorize American slavery, could it have happened? If God is truly sovereign, the answer must be in the negative.

We know that certain creatures are capable of committing sin - however, they can only commit the sin that God authorizes, sanctions or empowers them to commit.

Why did God authorize American slavery? Why does God authorize sin of any kind? This all leads to the great age old problem/mystery of evil, doesn't it. I, for one, take great comfort in the fact that the greatest theological minds in all of history have been perplexed by this very question. At least I'm in good company.

Did God Ordain American Slavery? Is He sovereign over all? Yes to both questions. He did so to purge us of the things that would hinder us from being an obedient implement for His agenda. It seems that He is about to take us back to the potters house.

As a born again conservative and suffering member of the "perplexed" generation I find solace, not in building a theology on an obscure passage of Scripture with which to put a guilt trip on others but in embracing Philippians 2:1-12 and praying for Grace to allow me to see the God in other Christians. I occasionally take a quick glance in the mirror to help me remain focused. The operative words are "other Christians".

Your observations resonate with my spirit. Eventually, very soon if circumstances demand it to be so, since we agree that God ordained slavery, the next question must be, "What did He intend for this nation to learn from its history between April 1861 and April 1865?"

Watchmen! Watchmen! What of the night?

Are we not living in perilous times? The agents of another purging, perhaps more traumatic than was the Civil War, apparently to the spiritual ignorance of too many, are no longer knocking on our door; they are living and prospering right here in our midst (II Chronicles 7:14).

Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
I do not believe God conducted man to enslave another person. but I know the Lord will let man do any thing he feels and man tolarances are respected in heaven. Lord may not like what man does, but he will not do anything about it until the time come to move and injustices are established in his Children. Heaven was terrorized for thousands of years will ideas against them. Lord seen injustices and aboninable sin in the world and the church of his people. You can not always blame God, For he said ``I am not of this world``

Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Default Could you explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I do not believe God conducted man to enslave another person. but I know the Lord will let man do any thing he feels and man tolarances are respected in heaven. Lord may not like what man does, but he will not do anything about it until the time come to move and injustices are established in his Children. Heaven was terrorized for thousands of years will ideas against them. Lord seen injustices and aboninable sin in the world and the church of his people. You can not always blame God, For he said ``I am not of this world``
Is it your position that man does not have to give account of his sins in this world? What do you mean by "when the time comes to move?" And what Scriptures are you promoting in each case?

God bless.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,421 times
He ordains it all otherwise one does not have the god concept, but is instead attributing divinity to other concepts such as ethics, political, morality and such-usually one's own ideas of right. One needs to know the entire history from the end back to make sense of it in any absolute way and since we all live short life spans, that information is denied us. The pain and such in our short time here then can not be entirely dovetailed into the total. It is also difficult to apply our sense of morality and civil liberty concepts to past cultures that had different world perspectives. One should remember that our perspectives are constructions and do not necessarily represent some unchanging ontological truth. Apart from that, the ordination of slavery does not absolve the guilt of treating others without love, that is also commanded, and the enslavement of others, from our vantage point is wrong, and the love should be strived for, as that is ordained as well....as is its failure.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I agree with that there are paradoxes that we fully can't understand but I don't see how this applies to a paradox, the bible is very clear about slavery and that slavery by kidnapping is wrong and punishable by death. I believe this falls under God's sovereignty.
Slavery by kidnapping and buying kidnapped souls as slaves is definitely, biblically, wrong, and punishable by death.
Bondservants sell themselves for a limited time, and can remain with their masters when the time is up, if they choose. All slaves in Israel, of their kinsmen, were to be released after certain years, and the spoils of war against enemy nations is allowed by slavery of the enemies who attacked -the remaining ones, that is.

Buying and selling souls is one of the listed crimes of "Babylon", and has always been done by the Islamics. They raided villages and sold souls into slavery to western slave traders. They still raid villages and sell souls into slavery among their nations, and they even sell stolen and kidnapped souls into slavery in the USA, today, still, but it is kept quiet.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,230 times
Elder Owens, is this site still active? No posting in a few months, or am I at the wrong site???

Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 AM

Default Expressions of Gratitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAOZ828 View Post
Elder Owens, is this site still active? No posting in a few months, or am I at the wrong site???
Be assured, my friend, you are in the correct site.....especially in the spiritual sense. My absence was due in part to some type of software conflict with another site (my pass word) and in larger part to a close encounter with some emissaries from Satan trying to promote themselves as angels of light. The first problem has been resolved but I anticipate sustaining a few more annoying nicks and bruises from now until this race is over...pun intended! So please join me in agreeing that God is still in charge. Whatever victories we are allowed in any manner in this earth is His and His alone.

Be assured also that I am literally bursting with much pent up energy. I shall be back at my desk on Monday or Tuesday of next week (29th or 30th). I am looking forward to some mutually inspiring dialogue with all of my friends. Thanks for your inquiry. This site is still active ..... thanks in large part, I suspect, to the compassion of our administrator.

Because of Him,
Elder Owens

Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
He ordains it all otherwise one does not have the god concept, but is instead attributing divinity to other concepts such as ethics, political, morality and such-usually one's own ideas of right. One needs to know the entire history from the end back to make sense of it in any absolute way and since we all live short life spans, that information is denied us. The pain and such in our short time here then can not be entirely dovetailed into the total. It is also difficult to apply our sense of morality and civil liberty concepts to past cultures that had different world perspectives. One should remember that our perspectives are constructions and do not necessarily represent some unchanging ontological truth. Apart from that, the ordination of slavery does not absolve the guilt of treating others without love, that is also commanded, and the enslavement of others, from our vantage point is wrong, and the love should be strived for, as that is ordained as well....as is its failure.
Your observations remind me of a question that was often debated on my campus some fifty years ago, "Can God create anything that appears to the finite mind to be a ten million year old fossil?" Let me emphasize that I was greatly more often a listener than a participator......I still have those tendencies. Not unlike the question posed to Jesus, "Teacher, should we pay taxes to Caesar?".....this question has a few built in polemic traps, the least of which is not the dilemma posed to those among us who believes in evolution. So, for reasons that time and space will not allow me to share, I do find your remarks both inspiring and challenging. We are compelled to believe God can create things that appear to be million year old fossils or otherwise, to paraphrase your observation, we have not quite grasped the "God" concept.

By the way, on my good days, based on the conviction that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, I also believe that Arminianism and Calvinism are different facets of the same majestic pearl; I embrace the arguments of both so long as it does not reproach the position of the other. On other days I am troubled by thoughts of what I can not understand about the paradoxes in the matter. Selah.

Keep the Faith,
Elder Owens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.