Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM

257 posts, read 444,060 times

Advertisements

Isn't this an extremely important question? It is vital that we know exactly what is involved in being saved! We must be precise. There is no room for error! JESUS has warned that in the day of judgement many will call to Him in thinking they are saved, but will hear JESUS say, "Depart from me you workers of evil, I never knew you!". From their reponse we know that those persons were people who thought they understood salvation. They made statements such as, "I preached in your name", "I cast out demons in your name", "I did lots of good works in your name". They present themselves as theologians, or at least as persons who were very involved in what they thought was being a Christian.

It is very sad to me that so many people live their life thinking they are Christians and truely saved, but are going to learn much to their horror, that they never were saved.

There is no "Book of the Reformation", in the holy Bible. Did you know that? So regardless of which side of the reformation fence you're on, or if you see yourself as neutral on those issues, we all must look deeply into the the New Testament for a true revelation of exactly what salvation is.

My goal is to explain to the whole world, "What is salvation". Is it raise your hand, name it and claim it, walk the isle, get submerged or sprinkled, say a little prayer, get voted in by "the Church", have the priest or ministers approval and confirmation, etc.? Or is Salvation a distinct working of GOD? What is meant where the scripture states, "We are His workmanship"? Is faith only involve in His workmanship? Does having faith alone mean we are born again? Or do we enter in through faith and then the workmanship of GOD continues doing other things with us vital to salvation? I'd like to hear serious comments about this and also possibly respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Faith in Christ's redemptive work on the cross is the only way to salvation. Works are evidence of that salvation.

Ephesians 2
James 2

Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
We must be delivered from our sins, all of them. If we are His workmanship, then we have been set free from the devil's grip. There's no such thing as a sinning child of God in His eyes. You're either living free from sin or you're living in sin. God told the first man and woman not to sin, and that message still remains the same today.

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. - 1 John 3:8

Church membership won't save you; water baptism won't wash away your sins. You must be born again by the power in the blood of Jesus.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
The simple answer:

God saves us.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Water Baptism, is it from GOD or from man? Is water baptism a work of man or a work of GOD in the saving of us? True water baptism of the one believeing in JESUS CHRIST is the work of GOD to join us with the death, burial, and resurrection of JESUS. You can't be saved without it! It is the work of GOD, not the work of man. But the inner man needs rebirth also. This happens by the baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
Water Baptism, is it from GOD or from man? Is water baptism a work of man or a work of GOD in the saving of us? True water baptism of the one believeing in JESUS CHRIST is the work of GOD to join us with the death, burial, and resurrection of JESUS. You can't be saved without it! It is the work of GOD, not the work of man. But the inner man needs rebirth also. This happens by the baptism of the HOLY SPIRIT.
Water baptism is not a requirement for salvation.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Isn't this an extremely important question? It is vital that we know exactly what is involved in being saved! We must be precise. There is no room for error! JESUS has warned that in the day of judgement many will call to Him in thinking they are saved, but will hear JESUS say, "Depart from me you workers of evil, I never knew you!". From their reponse we know that those persons were people who thought they understood salvation. They made statements such as, "I preached in your name", "I cast out demons in your name", "I did lots of good works in your name". They present themselves as theologians, or at least as persons who were very involved in what they thought was being a Christian.

It is very sad to me that so many people live their life thinking they are Christians and truely saved, but are going to learn much to their horror, that they never were saved.

There is no "Book of the Reformation", in the holy Bible. Did you know that? So regardless of which side of the reformation fence you're on, or if you see yourself as neutral on those issues, we all must look deeply into the the New Testament for a true revelation of exactly what salvation is.

My goal is to explain to the whole world, "What is salvation". Is it raise your hand, name it and claim it, walk the isle, get submerged or sprinkled, say a little prayer, get voted in by "the Church", have the priest or ministers approval and confirmation, etc.? Or is Salvation a distinct working of GOD? What is meant where the scripture states, "We are His workmanship"? Is faith only involve in His workmanship? Does having faith alone mean we are born again? Or do we enter in through faith and then the workmanship of GOD continues doing other things with us vital to salvation? I'd like to hear serious comments about this and also possibly respond.
No, what's sad is that you and others believe good people will "burn in hell for eternity" because they didn't believe exactly as you did! That's sad!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Water baptism is not the total salvation picture, but it is a part of the salvation which GOD works in us. All by grace. Would you recommend folks go on to the great beyond without water baptism? Why did JESUS and the Apostles practice water baptism? Was it for extra points? Was it optional and for those who wanted a more advanced position? Or is it a fundemental requirement? I preach it is required. I'm not going to the judgement teaching it is a symbol or an option.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
But Jesus commanded it
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Jesus said to make disciples via baptizing
Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

God says baptism saves by the ressurection of Jesus
1 Peter 3:21
and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Salvation....it's a gift of God.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Water baptism is not the total salvation picture, but it is a part of the salvation which GOD works in us. All by grace. Would you recomend folks go on to the great beyond without water baptism? Why did JESUS and the Apostles practice water baptism? Was it for extra points? Was it optional and for those who wanted a more advanced position? Or is it a fundemental requirement? I preach it is required. I'm not going to the judgement teaching it is a symbol or an option.
So you believe a person who has genuine faith in Christ, but is not baptized with water will spend eternity separated from God? That doesn't jive with God's character, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity