Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am not Catholic and never have been but the thing I like about them is I have never had a Catholic try to shove their ideas down my throat or turn on other christians and claim they aren't christian. They have a more live and let live attitude.
And that's why I love being Roman Catholic. Evangelicals may not have the time to actually shut their trap long enough to see this, but there is inherent virtue in the very attitude that you describe about catholics.

Ecumenism is a major departure for protestants and explains much of the heartburn expressed on this thread. Boil me in oil but I rather have a non-fundamentalist muslim that happens to understand the historical context between the Bible and the Q'ran, facing west to the sun while we ponder the smallness of our existential differences in the big scheme of things, than your garden variety evangelical shouting at our muslim hypothetical and calling me (the RC) non-christian while he ruins the moment for all 3 of us LOL!

Those crazy protestants, they're like the wacky uncle at the family BBQ, can't take em seriously or it ruins the party for everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 11:20 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,733 times
Quote:
I am not Catholic and never have been but the thing I like about them is I have never had a Catholic try to shove their ideas down my throat or turn on other christians and claim they aren't christian. They have a more live and let live attitude.
This is interesting. I've generally had the same experience. That is not to say all evangelical Christians that I have met are so quick to judge but I will say that I've never met a Catholic I didn't like.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
This is interesting. I've generally had the same experience. That is not to say all evangelical Christians that I have met are so quick to judge but I will say that I've never met a Catholic I didn't like.
I'm not saying Catholics aren't Christian because my dad is a Catholic and loves the Lord, but if the world likes you and you claim to be a Christian then aren't you doing something wrong?

John 15: 18-19 "If the world hates yo, you know that it hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you."

I have to admit, until I left the Catholic church and joined a Southern Baptist church I had never experienced hateful words from a non-Christian regarding my faith. Even my own mother, a Catholic, bashes my faith behind my back!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
SO in your opinion, to be closer to god and be a christian you must don a hair shirt and be one of the most annoying things to walk the earth since dinosaurs??

Really???

Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
SO in your opinion, to be closer to god and be a christian you must don a hair shirt and be one of the most annoying things to walk the earth since dinosaurs??

Really???
Nope that's not what I mean, and I'm assuming you're intelligent enough to know that. What I mean is Christians, ESPECIALLY non-Catholics, are very often not liked because they openly profess their faith and share it with other people. From my experience as a Catholic for 23 years and now just a Christian, Catholics rarely openly share their faith with other people outside of just saying they're Catholic. Other Christians are far more likely to share the gospel with someone in hopes of reaching the lost. THAT is what very often, not always and not only, makes us disliked by non-Christians.

If sharing my faith with other people is considered annoying then I guess I'm annoying, but you know very well that I didn't mean non-Catholics are meant to just be obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
There's also a lack of historic understanding from some posters who condemn other Christians. The Church didn't start & then stop for centuries & then pop-up in America. When do you disagree with the early Church? The faith you claim is not Christian would include the first century after Christ.

Even Protestants accept the Church is 2000 yrs old & differences of theology split Christianity. The Orthodox are catholic but don't accept the primacy of Rome. In America there are numerous divisions among Christians in every denomination.

The point is not the message but the messenger. To readily offend & condemn other Christians suggests cultic thinking.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
There's also a lack of historic understanding from some posters who condemn other Christians. The Church didn't start & then stop for centuries & then pop-up in America. When do you disagree with the early Church? The faith you claim is not Christian would include the first century after Christ.

Even Protestants accept the Church is 2000 yrs old & differences of theology split Christianity. The Orthodox are catholic but don't accept the primacy of Rome. In America there are numerous divisions among Christians in every denomination.

The point is not the message but the messenger. To readily offend & condemn other Christians suggests cultic thinking.
I can't tell who you're replying to, but if it's me I never said anything about readily offending and condemning other people. The Bible is truth, and the truth WILL offend nonbelievers. It's just a fact. We don't share our faith to offend; we share our faith to win the lost to Christ. There are people who will not like us because of that and will be offended just from hearing the gospel. While we know we're preaching the Word of God, they believe they're just offensive words of man. There's absolutely nothing cultish about that.

I haven't always been a Christian. I know what it's like to be offended by those "crazy Christians," but thank God those "crazy Christians" cared enough about me to share the gospel whether it be offensive or not.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Content_Christian View Post
I can't tell who you're replying to, but if it's me I never said anything about readily offending and condemning other people. The Bible is truth, and the truth WILL offend nonbelievers. It's just a fact. We don't share our faith to offend; we share our faith to win the lost to Christ. There are people who will not like us because of that and will be offended just from hearing the gospel. While we know we're preaching the Word of God, they believe they're just offensive words of man. There's absolutely nothing cultish about that.

I haven't always been a Christian. I know what it's like to be offended by those "crazy Christians," but thank God those "crazy Christians" cared enough about me to share the gospel whether it be offensive or not.
How crazy and still be Christian? Rev Phelps is Baptist & his flock mock dead soldiers as gay outside the church or funeral home. I guess the message is attack other Christians as a perverted way of saving them. What makes that any better than Islamists who even murder fellow believers over minute differences?

Cultic non-traditional Christians [including Mormons] have every right to win over people for Christ & worship God however they please. Just wish their zealotry would include helping the poor, condemning war and the killing of all life, share the Good News of Jesus rather than denouncing traditional Christians to Hell.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,733 times
That is interesting that someone brought up the point that the church is 2000+ years old. The question came about because on CD I read (although I can't remember which post) that many do not consider Catholics Christian yet isn't Catholicism older than any of the other Christian faiths? Not counting Judaism, of course, but I guess that's not considered Christian anyway so it's a moot point.

Another point I wanted to make, from my personal experience, Christians do not share their Christian faith, they've rammed it down my throat pushing me to convert. Either that or allude to hell and how that's my destiny if I do not commit. Catholics, on the other hand, have basically just told me they are Catholic and left it at that, but have been open about any questions I have regarding the faith - when I ask about it. Again, this is personal experience and no, I do not judge all Christians to be that way (although many have been quick to judge me).

Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
How crazy and still be Christian? Rev Phelps is Baptist & his flock mock dead soldiers as gay outside the church or funeral home. I guess the message is attack other Christians as a perverted way of saving them. What makes that any better than Islamists who even murder fellow believers over minute differences?

Cultic non-traditional Christians [including Mormons] have every right to win over people for Christ & worship God however they please. Just wish their zealotry would include helping the poor, condemning war and the killing of all life, share the Good News of Jesus rather than denouncing traditional Christians to Hell.
I'm certainly not talking about the likes of Fred Phelps. For anyone to assume that I am by reading my posts is reading way more into what's actually there. By "crazy Christians," which I obviously quoted because they/we are considered crazy by those that don't like what we're saying and for actually believing it not because *I* actually think we're crazy, I'm specifically talking about those who share the gospel of Christ, your average Christian, not the very small minority who are so out there and wrong that they make the news on a regular basis. Sheesh! There is no message whatsoever in anything I said condoning "attacking" anyone in any way, shape, or form UNLESS you consider simply sharing the gospel, whether offensive or not, some sort of attack. I mean, when it comes down to it you (generic you) could consider anything you want an attack against who you are and what you believe. And to be clear, I'm not talking about you specifically. I haven't been here long enough to know what you believe.

I agree with you that we have no right to judge anyone's salvation. That's God's job to do. It's my job to go into the world and preach the gospel. What others do with it after that is their business and between them and God. And to touch on one other thing you said, if we Christians aren't out there helping the poor then we're not doing what Christ instructed us to do, and that's shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity