Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 05:26 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Smoking marijauna/possessing small amounts of marijuana (the equivalent of a couple of joints) in Massachusetts is no longer illegal. June's not sure whether or how that would impact the 'sin' aspect in so doing, however. June has never cared for pot. In fact, she always intensely disliked it. It messes with her 'just June' mind and makes her feel even more stupid than she feels already.

-Someone forgot to mention bacon.

Take gentle care.
I don't like it for the same reason...I can't control my brain and everything seemed hilarious.

That was many moons ago when I was young and daring...

As a side note...marijuana is organic, therefore there must be some wise use to it...such as for cancer patients. God did not, does not make anything in vain...it's the abuse of it that is wrong for man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:28 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is a minor sin. Will not send you to hell.
This ^ made June laugh so hard she thought she was stoned.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,589 times
Was it not Jesus Himself who said:
"It is not what goes into a man's mouth, but rather what comes out of a man's mouth that defiles him." ?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
LOL

That is hillarious.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the chapter!

You could not take a verse further away from the context than what you just did.

Verse 1: get along as a group

Verse 2 judge among yourselves within the group

Verse 4 workings of the group

verse 5 begging that there must be one wise person in the group

verse 6 group

verse 8 you are brothers

Do you see any trends here?

Of course you can only see them if you read the context.

verse 11 you [the group] have been washed of unholiness

verse 12 talking about who has power over others within the group

verse 13 our food and our physical bodies will both be destroyed, but the group of us was made for The Lord, and The Lord is for the group of us.

verse 14 God raised Our Lord and God will raise 'us'.

Do I really need to do this?

You are so funny!

Verse 15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, ...

Verse 16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he shall be one flesh.

verse 17 as we are one body so are we one spirit

Nice try though, assuming that you have never read a Bible
You read all that and you still don't see it talks about your own physical body??? " You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body". How could you possibly think that is in reference to the church?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcamp View Post
1Corinthians 3:17If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

When I became a Christian I didn't know that smoking was a sin. It seemed every time I opening my Bible I would open to that verse above and come under great conviction.

I knew that the Lord was talking to me about quiting smoking but I had smoked for many years and it was hard trying to quit.

I kept trying and praying and one day a man of God pointed a finger at me and said, "Take those cigarettes out of your pocket. God is going to deliver you from cigarettes.

I took the pack out and tossed it away. I was instantly delivered and had no withdrawal pains of any kind and no wish to smoke again.

Keep praying, repenting and ask God for help. He will help you to quit.

David
Amen. Yes, the Holy Spirit made me too very uncomfortable about contaminating my body, the temple of Holy Spirit, with cigarette smoke.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,433,427 times
Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Marijuana is illegal in many countries. Obey the law.

Marijuana is great...I loved it, but it is wrong, as others have said, in that it defiles our bodies and causes mind alterations, when the only altering effects we should be engaging in is from the Holy Spirit. Stay in sober judgement.

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

For whether we be beside ourselves, [it is] to God: or whether we be sober, [it is] for your cause.

But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate

8,182 posts, read 9,209,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Amen. Yes, the Holy Spirit made me too very uncomfortable about contaminating my body, the temple of Holy Spirit, with cigarette smoke.
I wonder how much of that was the HS vs. the judgements and looks of other Christians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Was it not Jesus Himself who said:
"It is not what goes into a man's mouth, but rather what comes out of a man's mouth that defiles him." ?
And the Bible says:
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour"

Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I wonder how much of that was the HS vs. the judgements and looks of other Christians?
I could have continued to smoke at home, in the car etc if I had been bothered by looks of other Christians.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity