Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times

Advertisements

Much as I love and study the Holy Bible, what if the Bible isn't all we're ever going to get from God? What if God really is unchanging? What if He continues to speak to His children on earth as he did anciently? Is it possible that there could be living prophets of God on the earth today as there were anciently? What if there are other records written by other Hebrew prophets who were just as qualified as those who wrote the few books from among many that learned men put into today's Bible?

As I browse the threads in this Christianity sub-forum and see the vast variety of beliefs written about here, I am amazed at how the following two verses of scripture seem so applicable to our time:

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it." Amos 8: 11-12

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/amos/8/11-12#11

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.... Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." 2 Timothy 3: 1,7

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/2_tim/3/1,7#1

It is human nature to do our best to cram things into neat little boxes with contents that are so familiar to us that we never hesitate to jump right back in when the boxes of others open nearby and unfamiliar things come crawling out. We stick a label on our own particular box of beliefs, then sometimes smugly throw the label around and defend it militantly as if it was our own personal identity!

Could it be learned men, scholars, organized religion, church leaders, paid professional pastors and priests, bias, prejudice, ignorance, bigotry, closed minds that is keeping us from participating fully in these the exciting Fulness of Times; keeping us perhaps from having a satisfying personal relationship with GOD and Jesus Christ; keeping us from knowing where we came from, why we're here, and where we're going when our turn on earth is over?

For those bold independent souls who are unafraid to step back for a while from the boxes and labels, the "isms" and "ists", allow me to tell you about just one other book of scripture, the record of Joseph, written by prophets who migrated from Jerusalem to the Americas about 600 B.C., the ones the Lord spoke of as his "other sheep" whom he had promised to visit after his resurrection. That book alone could provide for you a massively larger context within which to better understand the words written in the Holy Bible, the record of Judah. And you don't need to join yet another organized religious denomination to learn from that book; maybe your unique calling and mission in life is to stay with the denomination you are now a member of, and to quietly help lift other members to even higher heights of understanding God and the universe around us...

"Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions: Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand." Ezekiel 37: 16,19

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ezek/37/16,19#16

"For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered. And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid." Isaiah 29: 10-14

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/isa/29/10-14#10

If you can suspend for a while your fear of the unfamiliar and step away from the boxes and isms that contain and limit you, you can anonymously read that book online:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/bm/contents

Or request a free copy (choose from 108 languages) at:

http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beliefs/free-media/free-media?src=tv

For those who are not so bold, independent, and open-minded, tell us why in your opinion sincere truth seekers should be too afraid to read that other testament of Jesus Christ, the record of Joseph...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
I believe everyone should have an open mind about all religions. Sure, they all contain some truth, however, they don't contain it all. Man is fallible and to say that an editor of the bible is interpreting the bible exactly how it was when it was frist written is to say that man is infallible. Only God is infallible and all who are seeking God should question everything and consider all possiblities.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I believe everyone should have an open mind about all religions. Sure, they all contain some truth, however, they don't contain it all. Man is fallible and to say that an editor of the bible is interpreting the bible exactly how it was when it was frist written is to say that man is infallible. Only God is infallible and all who are seeking God should question everything and consider all possiblities.
I agree 100% with you on that...there is some measure of truth to be found in all views and doctrines but the "Absolute Truth" only comes from God and only when we are One with Him.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
What about Jesus, the Christ... If HE is your Saviour you don't have to worry about any "sticks", misconceptions or deceptions because HE is all the TRUTH. The Mormon book gives deference to the HOLY BIBLE, but the WORD of GOD does not give any validation or credibility to the Book of Mormon.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it." Amos 8: 11-12

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/amos/8/11-12#11

Good questions!
We all can be likened to ships at sea...on the sea of life. Some of us know where we are going and move accordingly. Others are like ships with no rudder, tossed to and fro on every wind of doctrine...wandering aimlessly about...hoping that we have the right heading. One of the largest, most powerful ships in history, the German battleship Bismarck, was doomed in WWII when it lost it's rudder. Even though it still had all it's weapons, it fate was sealed...it couldn't steer. Well, a lot of us aren't battleships...we're just "little rowboats", hoping for the best. Some of us spend a lifetime jumping from one belief system to another...sailing round and round in circles. For me, the Bible is my instruction book. To me, it makes sense to follow it. No, I don't understand it all, but there is enough information given in it to give direction and guidance. I believe the Bible is divinely inspired of God, and is therefore a valid guide. We must all decide for ourselves what is, and isn't, a valid "rudder" for our ship. Pray and ask God what is right...He is there.

PS: I'd guess the Bible isn't all we're ever going to get from God. Because...we'll likely get more when "our ship gets into port". (just IMO) But, for now, we have the Bible...

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 10-21-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
I prayed. I read that book. And my life changed forever

Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Much as I love and study the Holy Bible, what if the Bible isn't all we're ever going to get from God? What if God really is unchanging? What if He continues to speak to His children on earth as he did anciently? Is it possible that there could be living prophets of God on the earth today as there were anciently? What if there are other records written by other Hebrew prophets who were just as qualified as those who wrote the few books from among many that learned men put into today's Bible?

For those who are not so bold, independent, and open-minded, tell us why in your opinion sincere truth seekers should be too afraid to read that other testament of Jesus Christ, the record of Joseph...
Because those who look outside the Bible are looking for answers outside of the truth. The Bible is sufficient.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:58 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
What about Jesus, the Christ... If HE is your Saviour you don't have to worry about any "sticks", misconceptions or deceptions because HE is all the TRUTH. The Mormon book gives deference to the HOLY BIBLE, but the WORD of GOD does not give any validation or credibility to the Book of Mormon.
Well, the Bible actually shows the Mormon religion to be of the devil. So it does take note of it.
An angel whom Joe Smith named Moroni came with a different "gospel" than that which we had received once, for all; but the Scriptures tell us that angel was the devil -the Prince of Darkness- transforming himself into "an angel of light".
I think Joe Smith was lying, but if he was not, then he was certainly visited by the devil himself.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I agree 100% with you on that...there is some measure of truth to be found in all views and doctrines but the "Absolute Truth" only comes from God and only when we are One with Him.
if there is not total truth then isn't it a lie?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
The canon of scripture has been closed.

But that doesn't mean we have it all figured out, and there be those among us that can provide further insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity