Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:47 PM

79 posts, read 170,723 times

Advertisements

I don't attend church and when I do attend church I absolutely do not want to pay tithes. I'm not hearing it. I used to do that a long time ago, then one day I got tired of paying the car note on the leaders Cadillac and Lexus, and they started out in one house, then went up to owning 3 houses (very, very nice houses).

Someone invited me to their church, and I asked them "do I have to pay to go to your church?", they though about it and said "you mean you don't want to pay tithes if you join?" I said "yes, I'm not giving any money to a church", they were not so enthused about me coming to their church after that.

The money that I would pay for a "tithe" I have started an acct for a nephew who will be graduating in 2010, he could use it, if not him there's someone I can bless, that's what I do with my tithe money. Would anyone out there let me join their church, attend their church for years and not give one penny? Who are, step up, I don't think it exits? By the way I will contribute greatly to the church by being a part of the nursery, ushering, other stuff, I will give my time, not my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
You will not go to hell if you do not tithe. You will not be following God's word, though. Salavation is based on the acceptance of Christ as your saviour and has nothing to do with how much you give.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
any organization asks for support. but sending you a bill is not nice. god does not need money. find a church that fits your budget.
see if that works for you. or make a deal--- labor instead of cash.
ask what you can do.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:03 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Well there are churches who believe that christians have been released from the concept of 'tithes'.It has been discussed here before.I know there are many churches who pass around a plate but don't really pay any attention to who puts money in it or in what amount.The methodist church my mother attended has always been that way,people throw some change or a buck in there and everyone is too glad you are there to pay any attention to the money part.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM

309 posts, read 511,814 times
You reap what you sow. In Galatians 6:6 it says support financially those who teach you the Word of God. In Proverbs 3:9-10 Remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth. So take those scriptures and search the Bible and let the Lord lead you in your findings as for me and my household we will give money no matter what church we attend.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:08 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Diva View Post
I don't attend church and when I do attend church I absolutely do not want to pay tithes. I'm not hearing it. I used to do that a long time ago, then one day I got tired of paying the car note on the leaders Cadillac and Lexus, and they started out in one house, then went up to owning 3 houses (very, very nice houses).

Someone invited me to their church, and I asked them "do I have to pay to go to your church?", they though about it and said "you mean you don't want to pay tithes if you join?" I said "yes, I'm not giving any money to a church", they were not so enthused about me coming to their church after that.

The money that I would pay for a "tithe" I have started an acct for a nephew who will be graduating in 2010, he could use it, if not him there's someone I can bless, that's what I do with my tithe money. Would anyone out there let me join their church, attend their church for years and not give one penny? Who are, step up, I don't think it exits? By the way I will contribute greatly to the church by being a part of the nursery, ushering, other stuff, I will give my time, not my money.
You go to 'hell', actually hades and then ultmately, the lake of fire for one reason only. That reason is, failure to believe in Jesus Christ for salvation. Not going to church is not a factor in salvation. Having said that, believers are told to assemble themselves together for the purpose of spiritual growth and for edification. Ephesians 4:11-16. You need to be under a pastor-teacher for the purpose of learning the word of God. But again, not going to church does not cause you to go to 'hell.'

As far as tithing goes, tithing is not spiritual giving. In ancient Israel, tithing was income tax, and was imposed on everyone, believer or not, at ten percent. But spiritual giving for the believer was whatever amount you were motivated to give. The practice of tithing, that perhaps most churches practice today, is not scriptural. Go to this link for more information:

www.agape.com/tithe.htm

Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
You reap what you sow. In Galatians 6:6 it says support financially those who teach you the Word of God. In Proverbs 3:9-10 Remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth. So take those scriptures and search the Bible and let the Lord lead you in your findings as for me and my household we will give money no matter what church we attend.
Of course there are plenty of non religious people who have produced plenty of wealth for themselves.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't give money to your church,many churches put the money they are given to a lot of good uses.Some seem to use it mostly to buy nice things for the pastor and the church building.People need to follow their own conscience and common sense in these matters.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Giving your time, your spiritual gifts, your love and support to the members of the church is what counts..God doesn't want your money, despite what you hear from the pulpits. I have heard many paid preachers say in a humble, prayerful voice as the plate was passed, "Give until it feels good"

If you give money, without depriving you or your family of the necessities and don't regret or brag about it then you have probably done a good thing..

But I do not feel it is a requirement for your salvation..

Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post

Actually, here is the King James version of Galatians 6:6:

"Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things." Galatians 6: 6

Galatians 6

That says nothing about having to pay preachers with money.

Among the Hebrews from Jerusalem who migrated to America, over the entire thousand year recorded history that we have available, charging money for teaching the gospel was called "priestcraft" and was sometimes subject even to the death penalty if I recall correctly. Priests customarily worked for a living and when it was break time for everyone around them, they taught the gospel.

That's probably why Mormons do not have a paid professional clergy as do probably almost all other of the 38,000 Christian denominations.

No, you will not go to "hell" for not paying tithes! But you might get a lot of additional blessings if you have enough faith to do so.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
God loves a cheerful giver, not an unhappy tither. I should think giving money to your nephew for college or to your favorite charity is just as good, if not better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity