Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't know what qualifications support your title Rev . . . but your understanding and knowledge of scriptural exegesis and interpretation is seriously twisted . . . no disrespect intended. I just can't let it stand unchallenged for the sake of the lurkers.
Not my interpretation.

Historical background on the text was drawn primarily from Social-Science Commentary on the Synoptic Gospels, pages 46-47, 380-81. It can be found here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Not my interpretation.

Historical background on the text was drawn primarily from Social-Science Commentary on the Synoptic Gospels, pages 46-47, 380-81. It can be found here
I have read about that interpretation of the teaching of turn the other cheek before ...

It is very interesting, but what it does not take into account is that the context in which Christ was speaking, which was of loving your enemies. He was making a comparison between eye for an eye and turn the other cheek.

One turns the other cheek in love of ones enemy, and not in desire to save face or preserve personal power.

One "goes the extra mile" for love, and "gives the shirt of his back also" for love, and "blesses those who persecutes him" for love ... That is what Christ is saying.

And one must know this love for all people in order to be the children of the father, and to be complete in love as the father and the lord Christ are complete, even as Christ is the express image of the father and did make example of such perfect love when he offered himself on the cross for his enemies.

This is what "overcoming evil with Good" is about, and what is meant when it is said, "do not resist an evil man" ...

And when people cannot understand the message of the gospel which is Love for all people, then this is what Christ means when he says, "Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first."

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 03-24-2011 at 06:15 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Not my interpretation.

Ah . . . I am familiar with both authors . . . they are not social psychologists . . . but they are respected theologians. That explains the twisted non-social psychological understanding inferred from their cultural anthropological efforts. Sorry I attributed it to you. It is still wrong psychologically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity