Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 PM

64,170 posts, read 40,596,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This is the major misunderstanding about Christ that stems from the savage concept of sacrifice born out of the ignorance of our primitive ancestors' beliefs about God.

So, our ancestors had no knowledge of who or what they worshipped?
They were ignorant primitives taught orally through the centuries by even more ignorant savages who had no conception of God other than as an external source of control over human behavior . . . since self-control and denial of self were not even concepts . . . except for the primitive idea of "sacrifice" to God. In fact . . . the available conceptual constructs of early humankind simply had nothing remotely adequate for understanding God . . . inspired or not. Any inspirations had to be translated into the available cognitive constructs . . . which were virtually non-existent.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,513,895 times
Quote:
Are you saying His enemies will willingly become His foot stool?
That does not sound very loving, nor salvation oriented.........
Man is not God's enemy , it's man's sinful nature that is the enemy of God .

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,

having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.Colossians 2:13,14,15.

Tell me how a spiritually dead man can be an enemy of God ?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
You have no idea how many religions i have studied or christian doctrines i have studied.......The Truth is there in the Haystack......Sometimes i think you folks care more about one-uping each other with quotes instead of systematically breaking down scripture....did any of you know that the 4 Gospels were only 4 of over 300 gospels that were collected from the early churches and that after only those 4 were included in the Bible? Have you read in the OT concerning the rebellious of the Jews from Egypt, that God said that they would NEVER enter MY rest......Then where were they to go, if not into God's rest? And if all will be reconciled to Him, hey, and all, means all...that includes Satan and the fallen Angels.....And for what purpose in the lake of fire?....Someone on here said that you twist words....i am starting to see that i think.......
Who cares how many religions you claim to have studied , if you studied the religion of Calvinism(because Calvinism is a man made religion) in more depth you will see it's full of holes and contradictions.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
2Th 2:10 AndG2532 withG1722 allG3956 deceivablenessG539 of unrighteousnessG93 inG1722 them that perish;G622 becauseG473 G3739 they receivedG1209 notG3756 theG3588 loveG26 of theG3588 truth,G225 that theyG846 might be saved.G4982

G622
ἀπόλλυμι
apollumi
ap-ol'-loo-mee
From G575 and the base of G3639; to destroy fully (reflexively to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively: - destroy, die, lose, mar, perish.

Looks pretty Eternal to me...........
To use your own obnoxious statement you like to use"You do not know what you are talking about"

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days."

Destroyed for 3 days does not sound eternal to me.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,238,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They were ignorant primitives taught orally through the centuries by even more ignorant savages who had no conception of God other than as an external source of control over human behavior . . . since self-control and denial of self were not even concepts . . . except for the primitive idea of "sacrifice" to God. In fact . . . the available conceptual constructs of early humankind simply had nothing remotely adequate for understanding God . . . inspired or not. Any inspirations had to be translated into the available cognitive constructs . . . which were virtually non-existent.
You sound like an archealogist or anthropologist...

Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
To use your own obnoxious statement you like to use"You do not know what you are talking about"

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days."

Destroyed for 3 days does not sound eternal to me.
Seems like we are all obnoxious here....

Old 11-23-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Seems like we are all obnoxious here....
It's nice to hear you use the word "we" at last.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-23-2009 at 03:50 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,171,264 times
Quote:
You have no idea how many religions i have studied or christian doctrines i have studied.......The Truth is there in the Haystack......Sometimes i think you folks care more about one-uping each other with quotes instead of systematically breaking down scripture....did any of you know that the 4 Gospels were only 4 of over 300 gospels that were collected from the early churches and that after only those 4 were included in the Bible? Have you read in the OT concerning the rebellious of the Jews from Egypt, that God said that they would NEVER enter MY rest......Then where were they to go, if not into God's rest? And if all will be reconciled to Him, hey, and all, means all...that includes Satan and the fallen Angels.....And for what purpose in the lake of fire?....Someone on here said that you twist words....i am starting to see that i think.......
Regarding "NEVER enter MY rest", are you talking about this?:

Psalm 95:10 "For forty years I loathed that generation,
And said they are a people who err in their heart,
And they do not know My ways.
11"Therefore I swore in My anger,
Truly they shall not enter into My rest."

It doesn't say they will NEVER enter His rest. It simply says that He swore they would not enter into His rest. That does not imply any finality. Where did they go? Into the desert for 40 years. In context you can see it is relating to the 40 years of wandering in the desert. That is where they were when they weren't in His rest.

Will Satan and the fallen angels be reconciled? I think it is possible, but I don't really know. If Satan is indeed reconciled, he will no longer be Satan when the reconciliation is done, that is for sure. Part of the reconciliation is destroying the wickedness and destroying the sinful nature.

What is the purpose of the lake of fire?

That is a good question. For the full answer, I recommend you read Ray Smith's Lake of Fire series, starting here:
L. Ray Smith - The Lake of Fire - Part 1

There are volumes of study and scriptural analysis there. But the short answer is the lake of fire is for divine purification. The lake of fire is spiritual fire. Spiritual fire judges the man by His works. It burns up the works of straw and wood, and purifies the gold and silver.

The purpose for it all (life, the universe, everything)

Ecc 1:13 “It is an experience of evil Elohim [God] has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it

The purpose for this whole life is for us to experience evil and to learn goodness. God will have saved us from sin, evil, and death, when we have learned how to be good and how to love. He will have finally saved us when we are in the perfect image of God - which is love. That's the reason for everything. So we can learn to LOVE. And God will ensure His plan does not fail, for it is not in us that we can "do" anything, it is only God working through us that we will learn this.

God is not saving us from a mythical hell. If you believe that is the purpose for this life - simply to figure out if you are going to heaven or not, and this somehow glorifies God, then you have missed the boat.

But God will rectify that eventually. What will be truly glorious is when God is ultimately all in all, and has reconciled all things to Himself, and all things are finally in His image - which is LOVE.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
You obviously haven't studied Clement of Alexandria, or Origen both of which were Native Greek speaking men. And origin was in fact a linguistic scholar among the greatest of his times. And they both wroth about the meaning of the Greek words aionios and kolasis and the meanings many other words wrongly translated in the Latin and English which are associated with Gods final judgment over sinners. In specific they wrote about how aionios does not mean everlasting or eternal, and kolasis means correction or remedial discipline ...
I'd like to find out how the Hebrew Christians in the early church believed.....Because before christianity the Greeks were into a lot of mystery religions..........

Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Mike, i never said that he was ... If you read my first post i made not of the fact he was from Rome and was not a native Greek speaking Christian, but was a Native Latin speaking Christian, and i mentioned that the only seminary in early Christendom was the one in Carthage Rome, which also happened to be eht Pagan Capital of the world at the time, so it is no wonder he believed in eternal torment.

And i said that Justin Martyr was most likely a believer in annihilation or what is otherwise known as conditional mortality and not in eternal torment, and he was a native Latin speaking Christian who like clement of rome did not read or speak koine Greek. When you quote him saying eternal condemnation, what you are not understanding is that he understood that to me being for ever annihilated and not tortured in fire for ever.
Well, greek was the lingua franca of the then known world.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity