Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 PM

988 posts, read 1,906,499 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Modern science has nothing to test what is a sin and what is not a sin

And how do we test what is sin and what is not a sin?

HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,402,959 times
[quote=Harold Kupp;12009723]
Quote:

HK
By the Holy Spirit convicting our own hearts, and not by judgemental christians who have nothing better to do than fault find in the lives of others who use the excuse of "sins done in ignorance" to excuse themselves of their own sin.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:23 PM

723 posts, read 1,049,068 times
Quote:
Modern science is moot.
Modern science has nothing to test what is a sin and what is not a sin

The truth is that Im sure that some Jews felt that washing your hands was a wise thing to do before you eat, not only kept you from being seen as a sinner, but also was very healthy too
...Yet when they challenged Jesus on the matter Jesus pointed out the bankruptcy of that whole line of thinking.

Nothing you can eat, be it pork, shrimp, dog or horse will have any effect on your faith at all.
All faith-based dietary laws and rules are moot.
They are based on myth and hot air.

Christians should "abstain" from following any dietary rules that they try to base on the Bible...

Now if you dont want to eat something or not drink something for any other reason?...fine, it's a free country.

I knew a girl once that did not like to eat anything the color green.
That was fine with me.

But thinking God wants you to eat or not at because of the so-called spiritual significance of that diet is silly and non-Christian.
I never said science can tell you what a sin is or isn't. But it can tell us healthy or not healthy. I told you that I don't believe that we are under those laws, so no I do not believe that the food you eat effect your faith. I only said that I felt it was as if it were a slap in the face to God!! After he stated over 2000 years ago how these foods were unclean (not healthy) for us. Does God want us to eat or not eat certain foods because of a certain spiritual significance of a diet?? Of course not. That WOULD be silly!! Does he want us to eat or not eat certain foods because of a certain health significance?? Sure, I would think that he cares. I mean, it is HIS temple!!

GOD BLESS!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:33 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,112,756 times
[quote=Harold Kupp;12009723]
Quote:

HK
Jesus pointed the answer out when the Jews attacked him men for eating in the wrong manner.

The sin is to judge the foods and the manner we eat them in as being spiritualy significant.

The sin is to judge one person as being less holy that you are because they eat a meat you will not eat.

There are many reasons not to eat a bug like an ant.
But there is sin only when you think that not eating it will be of any spiritual gain at all.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
, so no I do not believe that the food you eat effect your faith....

I only said that I felt it was as if it were a slap in the face to God!! !
therein is the error of that line of thinking.

On the one hand a person may say, "It's does not matter to God, it cant effect your spiritual walk at all...

Then on the other hand say, "Eating that food is offensive to God"

The moment you think that God wants you to eat one food over another you become guilty of taking the name of the Lord in vain.
You make the claim that God thinks the very thing you know he does not think.

What Jesus said at Mark 7:19 should be believed....all foods are now made spiritually "CLEAN"!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Does he want us to eat or not eat certain foods because of a certain health significance?? Sure, I would think that he cares. I mean, it is HIS temple!!

GOD BLESS!!!
That is an invented reason that I do not believe the Text supports.

The truth is that Jesus went out of his way to make all foods clean.
You cant say all foods are clean, and then hint that some foods are a bit less clean in God's eyes.

The reason this is important is that this is a big world, and there is someone right now eating the very foods you think should not be eaten.

You then face a choice,....

Do you judge the person by the food they eat or not?

They judged Jesus by the food he ate..
They judged him by the wine he drank

so my advice is to give up this idea that God has some foods that he wants you to eat, and some foods he does not want you to eat...

Old 12-13-2009, 12:50 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,678,958 times
Quote:
Im saying that nothing that goes into your body will defile it.

The thing that defile us are the things that come out of our mouths, not the stuff that goes in.

The fact is that all the foods you eat, no matter what they are, will sooner or later pass out of the body with all the rest of the food.

Thus all dietary laws that make foods "clean" or "unclean" are moot....
The food does not know the difference.

It's silly to think that by eating this food over that food that somehow you are now more holy.

It's silly to think that because one guy ate meat and another ate bread that one is more "Christian" than the other.

My view of the whole topic is this.
EAT!

Eat what is before you, and thank the cook.
Dont judge youself by the foods you eat, and dont judge another by the foods he eats...

The foods we eat are moot.
They dont know show the heart.
They only show the hunger of the belly.

When you have this form of confidence that comes with being a Christian, then you can sit down and eat with anyone.
You can eat what is given you to eat.
You are credit to our faith if you dont allow silly/pointless rules keep you from enjoying the foods of this world.

The Christian receives all foods with thanksgiving!
Let's talk about the 4th Commandment...Keeping the Sabbath...?...

The Word of God says in Exodus:

...Commandment #4...REMEMBER the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work...

...For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Hallowed. 6942. kaw-dash'; a prim. root; to be (causat. make, pronounce, or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally):-appoint, bid, [1]consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy (-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify (-ied one, self), X !>>>[2]wholly<<<!

[1]consecrate-1. To make, declare, or set apart as sacred...To make venerable (worthy of reverance or respect by virtue of dignity, character, position, or age...2. Commanding respect or reverence by association...To regard with respect, **reverence, or heartfelt deference). **Devote.

**Revere- To regard with awe, great respect, or devotion; venerate. [Latin revereri: re- (intensifier), again + vereri, to respect, feel awe of.]
Synonyms: revere, worship, venerate, adore, sanctify, idolize, idolatrize. These terms imply the deepest respect and esteem for a person, an object, or a deity. Revere has a sense of treasuring with profound respect. Worship implies intense, unquestioning esteem, love, and adoration, sometimes manifested in set forms. Venerate has the quality of love added to esteem. Adore is to love with rapturous and complete devotion. Sanctify connotes giving something a sacred character. Idolize or idolatrize implies worship of an object to which attributes of a deity are ascribed.

**Devote- To give or apply (one's time, attention, or self) entirely to a particular activity, pursuit, cause or person. 2. To set apart by or as if by a vow or solemn act; dedicate; consecrate.
Synonyms: devote, dedicate, consecrate, pledge. These verbs are compared primarily in the sense of giving oneself or one's effort for a particular end......? Devote, the most general, implies loyal and close attention to a cause, a job, another person, or the like. Dedicate adds the idea of a solemn and often formal commitment; in a related sense it means to set something apart. Consecrate stresses sacred commitment, as of a person to a cause or of a physical thing to religious use. Pledge refers to personal commitment backed by a solemn promise. Faithful.

[2]wholly-1. Entirely. 2. Exclusively.

...Let God's Word be true and every man a liar.

...Selah.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I never said science can tell you what a sin is or isn't.
yes you did!

That is the very heart of what you are saying.
You turn over the matter as to what is a sin and what is not to science...

You are saying that because of what modern science can tell us about some foods, that God does not want us to eat them..
All that stuff about " I mean, it is HIS temple!!" and whatnot...

That is turning over this decision to science...and that is what I object to strongly

Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,402,959 times
Here's what Jesus said about the Sabbath

29Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest ([r]relief and ease and refreshment and [s]recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.(E)
30For My yoke is wholesome (useful, [t]good--not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.

We enter into a complete and all inclusive rest(Sabbath) when we put our trust in Him.

You see Almost2L8 our Sabbath is Him

Old 12-13-2009, 02:03 PM

723 posts, read 1,049,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Here's what Jesus said about the Sabbath

29Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest ([r]relief and ease and refreshment and [s]recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.(E)
30For My yoke is wholesome (useful, [t]good--not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.

We enter into a complete and all inclusive rest(Sabbath) when we put our trust in Him.

You see Almost2L8 our Sabbath is Him

Yes, but why only that one commandment??? Why not eliminate all of the commandments?? It seems as though it is an excuse to eliminate the one because we are too busy or cannot get the sabbath off of work. It makes it easier to just say "I worship everyday the same". If we allow Jesus' Holy Spirit to enter us it will guide us into all truth. The Holy Spirit will make the following of the commandments a light burden. It will be a non issue!! JMO

GOD BLESS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity