Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:11 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Yes, but why only that one commandment??? Why not eliminate all of the commandments?? It seems as though it is an excuse to eliminate the one because we are too busy or cannot get the sabbath off of work. It makes it easier to just say "I worship everyday the same". If we allow Jesus' Holy Spirit to enter us it will guide us into all truth. The Holy Spirit will make the following of the commandments a light burden. It will be a non issue!! JMO

GOD BLESS!!!
Do you really think when we enter His rest(Sabbath) we eliminate the very life of Christ that dwells in us from living out the life we could never possibly live out ourselves.

Almost2L8 what you are saying is eliminating the importance of Christ in us .

Why do you think He is in us ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:18 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Living is a result of our relationship with Him .
That would be the "loving God" part, pcamps . . . we do not disagree. I just can't rep you yet. I can't figure out the system . . . but everyone I want to rep is blocked by the need to spread my reps around. Very annoying . . . but I suspect Huckleberry was around before the rule was instituted. Perhaps his rep count was the reason.????
Quote:
Biblians believe it's believing all the right doctrines
True . . . it is sad.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be the "loving God" part, pcamps . . . we do not disagree. I just can't rep you yet. I can't figure out the system . . . but everyone I want to rep is blocked by the need to spread my reps around. Very annoying . . . but I suspect Huckleberry was around before the rule was instituted. Perhaps his rep count was the reason.????True . . . it is sad.
I didn't think we did , but there is more chance of refuting the biblians argument if you refer to loving as living , because for some reason they love attacking and putting down anything about loving .
They love to remind you He is wrath and vengeful (Which He is neither) when you talk love up .

Old 12-13-2009, 02:31 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,109,274 times
Jesus did not "eliminate" the Sabbath laws, he fulfilled them.

Now, what does that mean?

The way he fulfilled the laws for us is the same meaning to a marriage vow that has been fulfilled at the death of either the husband or the wife.
The death of the spouse does not "Eliminate the marriage vows, rather we believe that at the death of the spouse the marriage vows are now completed and fulfilled.
Yes, that also means that they are no longer in effect, but not because we got rid of them..

The Laws of the Jews about the sabbath and about diet are no longer in effect because they have been fulfilled.

Jesus is the Law giver!
He could tell us that the laws of the Old are now replaced in the New.
Eye for an eye is fulfilled and no longer in effect as it has been replaced with a new and far better commandment

Old 12-13-2009, 04:42 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,670,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Jesus did not "eliminate" the Sabbath laws, he fulfilled them.

Now, what does that mean?

The way he fulfilled the laws for us is the same meaning to a marriage vow that has been fulfilled at the death of either the husband or the wife.
The death of the spouse does not "Eliminate the marriage vows, rather we believe that at the death of the spouse the marriage vows are now completed and fulfilled.
Yes, that also means that they are no longer in effect, but not because we got rid of them..

The Laws of the Jews about the sabbath and about diet are no longer in effect because they have been fulfilled.

Jesus is the Law giver!
He could tell us that the laws of the Old are now replaced in the New.
Eye for an eye is fulfilled and no longer in effect as it has been replaced with a new and far better commandment

James exhorts us [true, born-again believers] to cease from sin by the example of Christ, and the consideration of the "end"...that now approacheth...

...Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he [the born-again believer] that hath suffered in the flesh, hath ceased from sin...

{What is painful, is the initial submitting to God (of our own will and fleshly desires) part...after that, (making the decision and choosing life) the rest is easy...(I can only explain this state as being truly, truly free! The Truth truly does set you free!...and it is the most liberating feeling I've EVER known)! If you are living in your sin, Jesus says to you, "...Verily, verily I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin, is the servant of sin..." (not free, but in bondage.) However, If we are, in fact, born-again and walking in the spirit of Christ, we have the power within us, that gives us strength and enables us to choose the way of the LORD and His will and righteousness for us instead. Like James is telling us, to cease from sin means to suffer the flesh, and it is a choice}, "...he that has suffered in the flesh, hath ceased from sin..."

...That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh, to the lusts of men, but to the will of God...

{Obviously...the will of God is that we should no longer live the rest of our time, (which isn't much longer) in the flesh..satisfying our lusts and our own will}...

...For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in laciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries.

Wherein they [the world of unbelievers who do not live for God] think it strange, that you run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:...

...But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober and watch unto prayer...

...For the time is come that judgement must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the Gospel of God?...

...And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?...

...Wherefore. let them that suffer according to the will of God, commit the keeping of their soul to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator. Amen.

(...and the Gospel, according to John states..."...ye seek to kill Me, because my word hath no place in you...he that is of God heareth God's words..." Open the ears of understanding LORD God.

"If you love Me, keep my Commandments."

Amen.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 12-13-2009 at 05:29 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Oh look, someone is reading to me....how nice

Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,670,992 times
Quote:
...one of the most loving things that one can do for another spiritually, is to spend time with them studying Scripture together. You don't mind do you?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...one of the most....
One of the ways I know that the person on the other end of a conversation is serious is found in the way they respond to my posts.

Do they write their own words?
or do that copy some things that are likely copyright protected and against the rules to be posted here anyway?

I prefer to write my own words...

However I have noted over time that when some posters have run out of gas, and the tank is empty, they switch to just posting stuff that other people wrote...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM

11,907 posts, read 3,734,950 times
Quote:
oh that was sarcasm

carry on

Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
oh that was sarcasm

carry on
we shall see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity