Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever spoken in tongues?
Yes 10 37.04%
No 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,405 times

Advertisements

Do you have the gift of speaking in tongues?, I mean - "Glossolalia" like the apostles did at the first pentecost. if so, how did it start and what was your experience like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM

939 posts, read 1,024,908 times
I never have, nor have I ever seen what I consider to be an authentic occurrence of it.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I remember reading that Teresa of Avila, or one of the mystic saints, spoke in tongues but she translated it after or had a translator. So some kind of "speaking in tongues" I guess is in my faith's history too. Although I think it tended to be "speak and people in various languages understand you" or "speak in a veiled way explained later."

For people who speak in tongues, or their loved ones, do you/they do that? I mean does it translate into anything? Or is it about the emotional or ecstatic experience that can't exactly be explained? (I hope that was fairly respectable. I admit I'm skeptical of it too, but I'm trying to be a "soft-touch" on that)

Old 11-22-2011, 04:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I remember reading that Teresa of Avila, or one of the mystic saints, spoke in tongues but she translated it after or had a translator. So some kind of "speaking in tongues" I guess is in my faith's history too. Although I think it tended to be "speak and people in various languages understand you" or "speak in a veiled way explained later."

For people who speak in tongues, or their loved ones, do you/they do that? I mean does it translate into anything? Or is it about the emotional or ecstatic experience that can't exactly be explained? (I hope that was fairly respectable. I admit I'm skeptical of it too, but I'm trying to be a "soft-touch" on that)
I echo Thomas' sentiments on this topic. I think it can happen, but not in the way it is done in your average American Pentecostal church (IMO).

Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
I've never encountered any evidence that someone "speaking in tongues" was actually doing anything other than producing random sounds, perhaps believing that they were "prompted by the Holy Spirit."

Of course, one then needs someone else to "discern" what the speaker said.

Actually, I once spoke in tongues, I think. When in the service I stepped into a communal shower not knowing that the hot water wasn't working. I'm told that my "speaking in tongues" was quite loud and lengthy as the ice cold water hit me.

Curiously, another fellow did the same thing. He heard my speaking in tongues and told we he "discerned" exactly what I was saying!

Last edited by ancient warrior; 11-22-2011 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
The Lord brought here this gift of tongues , about a year after I was water baptized, and His spirit was developing , a pastor prayed in a New beginners classes and the next day Jesus spirit just started speaking a language that I can not understand , but a few words that Jesus Spirit discerned what they mean , which is worship in the spirit..... Then Jesus Spirit has a gift of unknown tongues, which He calls travailing tongues which is used to clean the spirit and deliver messages of Heaven , which Jesus spirit uses through His gift...These gift are used for the harvest of souls and not for self edification ... All gifts of tongues would bless the gifts of Holy Spirit and Christians should bless tongues even if they have not received the gift. as the Lord Jesus gives good gifts...

Old 11-22-2011, 06:17 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
The speaking in tongues phenomena isn't just Christian. So we have to accept that this isn't really just "Jesus' gift."

From Wikipedia:

"Neuroscience:
In 2006, the brains of a group of individuals were scanned while they were speaking in tongues. Activity in the language centers of the brain decreased, while activity in the emotional centers of the brain increased."

"Non-Christian practice:
Other religious groups been observed to practice some form of theopneustic glossolalia. It is perhaps most commonly in Paganism, Shamanism, and other mediumistic religious practices. In Japan, the God Light Association used to practice glossolalia to cause adherents to recall past lives."

"Learned behavior:
The material explanation arrived at by a number of studies is that glossolalia is "learned behavior". What is taught is the ability to produce language-like speech."

Glossolalia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,327 times
Speaking in tongues is for bypassing the natural mind because the carnal mind [natural senses] is at enmity with God concerning spiritual things as they can not be understand by the five senses. Only the spirit of a man in Christ can understand. Yes, I have spoken in tongues and still do and it is very edifying in the Spirit and draws one closer to God.

1COR 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

1COR 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
The tongues of Angels are not understood but are as gibberish unless one has the ability to interpret and should only be done in private unless a known interpreter is present.

1COR 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1COR 14:5 I would that you all spoke with tongues but rather that you prophesied: for greater is he that prophesying than he that speaks with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying."

1COR 14:39 "Therefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
1COR 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order."

There is nothing to fear in the Grace of God that is of God and no man is held accountable to what they do not understand.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
I was raised by a Cherokee mom that was Assembly of God, and a Baptist dad that was Celtic. They had a wonderful marriage and their beliefs mixed quite comfortably. Mom and my two sisters spoke in tongues many years ago.

Dad and I both "tried' but failed. I now see that as a blessing. I have come to realize that Mom and my sisters were much more emotional than the two of us. I, even as a child was "accused" of being stoic a couple of times.

I believe that the more emotional someone can be that it's the easiest for them to talk in tongues. I don't doubt their sincerity but my wisdom does doubt that the Holy Spirit is the author of their experience.

I believe that tongues was just that--a person speaking in a language that was geniune and that if anyone knowing that language was present that the hearer could know what they were saying. I do not buy the belief that tongues is some secret, prayer language for the person speaking, only. That is what most of my relatives claim is happening when they speak in tongues most of the time.

I do believe that if the true need ever arises that I will speak in tongues, like if I travel to another country and have a worthy reason to communicate with someone else, or something like that.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,439 times
I tried doing that once, but felt too forced so I haven't tried since. Plus, I didn't have an interpreter. When I questioned the people who wanted me to do it if it was biblical to do with without an interpreter, they said this type of tongues was more of a direct communication to God in sort of a infant like way and didn't need an interpreter...Anyone buy that? Sadly, even if I did have one, unless I knew the person was normally mentally very slow, I probably would pass it off as a person saying what ever came to mind thinking they're interpreting, but in reality, they just belong on "Whose Line Is It Anyways" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity