Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:46 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times

Advertisements

When I first came to this forum, I was conflicted in my view regarding the Sabbath . . . my good friends keep the Sabbath . . . they do not spend money or buy anything, nor do they go to public functions, fairs, etc. There children are not alllowed to play sports on the Sabbath . . . and even miss Graduations ceremonies and proms if it falls on the sabbath.

These are the best people I know, and I studied with them, and respect them and love them . . . . . but I realize now, from 4 years of praying about it, and a few months of actually keeping the sabbath . . . that we are not under the law anymore.

There is a rest for us, and his name is Jesus, his Yoke is easy. Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

Amen Donna. God will not tolerate disobedience.

Since man's first encounter with Satan in the garden of Eden until now, Satan has been lying, deceiving, tempting and using every possible tactic to cause man to use his will to disobey God.
The Church today is filled with Christians who are living defeated lives, unable to take possession of their inheritance as joint-heirs of the Kingdom of God because they are walking in disobedience to God and His Word. Christians cannot be partially obedient to God and His Word, and partially obedient to their own self-wills. It is all or nothing!...(remember the term, "lukewarm...?"...)
Satan, the Arch Deceiver, would like you to believe that because you are living under grace that you can live as you like...following after your own desires, instead of seeking after and following God's will...and still be saved and enjoy the blessings of God. He would like you to think that God does not require the type of obedience under the New Covenant as He did under the Old Covenant...and I'm here to declare to all who believe this...SATAN IS A LIAR!!!

ALL...(let me say it again...ALL!)...acts of disobedience are sin...regardless of how small or large an act of disobedience it may be.

The DISOBEDIENT will not inherit the kingdom of heaven. Salvation is not a matter of simple faith, as most preachers have preached for many years...(as I am a perfect example of one who's past spiritual walk had been greatly affected by such false teachings)...It involves more than a person simply saying, "Jesus, forgive me." Eternal salvation is given to those who OBEY!

Scripture shows us that Jesus became the Author of eternal salvation which He freely offers to those who OBEY Him.

It is through our obedience that we enter into a relationship where we become one with God. Jesus said that if we obey His teaching, He and the Father will come in and live within us. If we obey, we will be saved and inherit eternal life. Jesus said, "If a man keep [obey] my saying, he shall never...NEVER...see death" (John 8:51)

It is because of a reverent submission to God...motivating us to live our lives in obedience to God that will reward us with the ultimate victory over Satan, either in rapture or resurrection. The only people who will be raptured are those who OBEY. If you allow one area of your life where you walk in disobedience to God's Word to remain, or if you fail to obey God's leading or direction and do not repent, Satan has a stronghold he will use to lead you further into disobedience.

It is not enough to simply hear and agree with what God reveals to us. It is not enough to profess we know God and that we belong to Him. WE MUST OBEY. WE MUST WALK AS JESUS WALKED...and obedience is the proof...the evidence that we truly KNOW God (Romans 2:13 and 1 John 2:3-6).

It is the obedient...those who keep [obey] the Word of God...who have the legal right to take possession of their inheritance and claim the covenant promises.

Blessings,

Verna.
I recommend to you Romans, Chapter 3.

I also wonder about the criminal who hung on the cross next to Jesus. In what way did he obey the law in order to earn his repentance? He had only moments left to live, all he had was faith. He merely asked to be remembered, not even for full forgiveness and yet it seems it was granted.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Sabbath Observance:

Does it in anyway apply to salvation? No

Is it in anyway a command in the New Testament for us to practice? No.

Was Sunday appointed by someone or was it a day the disciples did worship on? Someone else.

Where in the New Testament does it tell us to keep or obey the seventh day Sabbath? It doesn't.

What is the TRUE Christian Sabbath?

A. The Jewish scriptural Sabbath (Saturday)? No.

B. The Catholic and Protestant Sabbath (Sunday)? No.

C. The Lord's day as John received it in Revelation as one special day? No.

D. JESUS (Hebrews 4:8)? Yes!

The warning about making something other than the rest in Jesus a Sabbath is given to us "Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain." (Galatians 4:10, 11)

Observing Sunday or Saturday means absolutely nothing to our salvation or walk in the Lord. Those days are not singled out in the New Testament as "special." Why would, after leaving the Law and bondage, you want to bind yourself again with a law that can't save? "Continuing in the truth" sets you free! No outward requirement necessary. Sabbath day keeping cannot save anyone! To say (as Christians living under the New Covenant) the Sabbath is still a physical requirement necessary in pleasing God is like saying we were still under circumcision as a physical requirement. The law is impossible to keep and trying to keep it is bondage. You are attempting to attain the impossible.
"For if Jesus had given them rest (the children of Israel in the wilderness), then would he not afterward have spoken of another day (Christ our rest, our Sabbath). (Hebrews 4:8)

Therefore Jesus is our rest, our Sabbath, not a physical 24 hour day that is merely governed by time outside eternity and therefore outside the kingdom of God.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
When I first came to this forum, I was conflicted in my view regarding the Sabbath . . . my good friends keep the Sabbath . . . they do not spend money or buy anything, nor do they go to public functions, fairs, etc. There children are not alllowed to play sports on the Sabbath . . . and even miss Graduations ceremonies and proms if it falls on the sabbath.

These are the best people I know, and I studied with them, and respect them and love them . . . . . but I realize now, from 4 years of praying about it, and a few months of actually keeping the sabbath . . . that we are not under the law anymore.

Amen!!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Good evening NCyank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I recommend to you Romans, Chapter 3.
O.k. I'd like to point out verses 20 through 23...

[Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe for there is no difference:
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;]

In these verses, Paul recognizes the source of true righteousness is IN Christ. Through our spiritual union with Him, we are One with Him. He is in us and we are in Him. In this relationship, we are "...partakers of the divine nature..." (2 Peter 1:4). We are "...IN Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption" (1 Corinthians 1:30).
Clothed in His righteousness, you have the ability to live your life as He lived His life in complete victory over sin! It IS possible! By His Spirit that is within you, you can be holy and blameless. You can be righteous as Jesus is righteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank
I also wonder about the criminal who hung on the cross next to Jesus. In what way did he obey the law in order to earn his repentance? He had only moments left to live, all he had was faith. He merely asked to be remembered, not even for full forgiveness and yet it seems it was granted.
Jesus is crucified between two thieves. One, and impenitent thief...the other a penitent brother....the one hardened, who died in his unbelief, and the other softened, (who, more than likely believed in Jesus even before he was hung on the cross next to Him). The softened one believed he deserved what was happening to him, and he believed in a life to come...humbly, in true repentance, he asked Jesus to remember him, and experienced Divine Mercy.

True repentance is never too late...but we never know when we will draw our last breath, for God never promised us a tomorrow...so one can not be sure they'll have the chance to repent before they die, when it is then too late.

Men die as they live.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:59 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

I don't deny the event occurred . . . I deny the primitive explanation of How it happened and Why.
2 Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The scriptures we are to know are the holy scriptures, Mystic, and they come from the Holy God, were delivered by holy men, contain holy precepts, treatment of holy things, and were designed to make us holy and to lead us in the way of holiness to happiness. Them being called the holy scriptures, they are by this distinguished from profane writings of all sorts, and from those that only treat morality, and common justice and honesty, but do not meddle with holiness.

If we would know the holy scriptures, we must read and search them daily, as the noble Bereans did - Acts 17:11 (mind you Mystic, events which are included to have preceded any written word of the New testament).

They must not lie by us neglected, and seldom or never looked into.

Now here observe Mystic,

This is what is the excellency of the scripture.

It is given by inspiration of God, and therefore is His word.

It is a divine revelation, which we may depend upon as infallibly true.

The same Spirit that breathed reason into us, breathes revelation among us.

2 Pt. 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

The prophets and apostles did not speak from themselves, but what they received of the Lord that they delivered unto us.

Listen Mystic:

That the scripture was given by inspiration of God, appears from the majesty of its style, from the truth, purity, sublimity, and humility, of the doctrines contained in it, every word of it, from the harmony of its several parts, from its power and efficacy on the minds of multitudes that converse with it, from the accomplishment of many prophecies relating to things beyond all human foresight, and from the uncontrollable miracles that were wrought in proof of its original divinity.

Heb. 2:4 God also bearing [them] witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

The interpretation of scriptures you harbor Mystic are not only blasphemous, but they are completely contradictory to the entire premise of the Holy Scriptures that lay before you, and the conviction of the Holy Spirit has delivered these very words unto you, in the scriptures, and that what you have done Mystic, is the unpardonable sin, for the Holy Ghost has inspired the holy men to record them as such, every jot and tittle of the entire word of God, and thus it is required of you, and your duty, to submit your sin, although unpardonable against the Holy Ghost which you have done, and unto God, and repent for the errors in which you teach, to His flock and to the men and women of this board seeking the faith, so that His mercy and love, can bless you and release you from this grave error.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It was Jesus who rebuked James and John and said to them "You know not what spirit you are of " , when they wanted to call down fire from heaven just like Elijah did.

He then went onto say "for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them."

It's funny that Jesus should say the exact opposite to what the organized church would have us believe , Jesus tells us in no uncertain terms He came not to destroy men's lives and yet the organized church says He is one day going to be a destroyer of men's lives.
Amen!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post

How nice for the serial killer and the adulterer - we are not under the law anymore. Do you realize the implication of your statement?

The murder and the adulterer can "believe in Jesus" and need not fear condemnation because they are not under the law anymore.

HK

Old 12-20-2009, 11:35 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
How nice for the serial killer and the adulterer - we are not under the law anymore. Do you realize the implication of your statement?

The murder and the adulterer can "believe in Jesus" and need not fear condemnation because they are not under the law anymore.

HK
No - the saving faith is not an intellectual thing, it is a faith that comes from the heart and soul and spirit - it is a regeneration.

We are told that God is not mocked and what a person sows - he shall reap

The law of liberty is not a license for sin.

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
2 Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Inspiration is NOT dictation. Profitable means useful. Instruction means employing knowledge to learn . . NOT rote recitation and literal interpretation in a worship of the letter.
Quote:
The scriptures we are to know are the holy scriptures, Mystic, and they come from the Holy God, were delivered by holy men, contain holy precepts, treatment of holy things, and were designed to make us holy and to lead us in the way of holiness to happiness. Them being called the holy scriptures, they are by this distinguished from profane writings of all sorts, and from those that only treat morality, and common justice and honesty, but do not meddle with holiness.

The prophets and apostles did not speak from themselves, but what they received of the Lord that they delivered unto us.
Listen Mystic:

That the scripture was given by inspiration of God, appears from the majesty of its style, from the truth, purity, sublimity, and humility, of the doctrines contained in it, every word of it, from the harmony of its several parts, from its power and efficacy on the minds of multitudes that converse with it, from the accomplishment of many prophecies relating to things beyond all human foresight, and from the uncontrollable miracles that were wrought in proof of its original divinity.
I'm getting an inkling that they are "holy" and deserving of worship . . . is that right? Why wasn't that in the list you cited?
Quote:
2 Pt. 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

Heb. 2:4 God also bearing [them] witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
We have no disagreement about the inspiration, sciota . . . only about what that means regarding the actual text (interpretations of the inspirations) that were recorded by the primitive minds that received the inspirations.
Quote:
The interpretation of scriptures you harbor Mystic are not only blasphemous, but they are completely contradictory to the entire premise of the Holy Scriptures that lay before you, and the conviction of the Holy Spirit has delivered these very words unto you, in the scriptures, and that what you have done Mystic, is the unpardonable sin, for the Holy Ghost has inspired the holy men to record them as such, every jot and tittle of the entire word of God, and thus it is required of you, and your duty, to submit your sin, although unpardonable against the Holy Ghost which you have done, and unto God, and repent for the errors in which you teach, to His flock and to the men and women of this board seeking the faith, so that His mercy and love, can bless you and release you from this grave error.
I have no wish to intrude on or in any way damage your holy reverence for whatever, sciota. But God saw that the use of the written word did not work with us . . . we got everything wrong. He sent Jesus to correct that ignorance,

to teach us properly;
to provide an unambiguous example of God's TRUE NATURE;
to endure our savagery unto death to show that death is not to be feared;
to be baptized by rebirth as a Spirit (Holy Spirit) . . . so He could remain available to us as part of the human collective consciousness as comforter and guide; and
God has "written in our hearts (not in written words) what we are intended to know by following the inner guidance of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:16

For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:14

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity