Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 PM

186 posts, read 190,933 times

Advertisements

There is No Doer of Deeds

Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,260,631 times
Quote:
It is true that "We are Lived", "Life Lives Us" and "We are an expression of the One Life".
Does this mean that we are not the 'Doer' of anything?
Actions arise, things get done - there is no doubt about that.
The question remains - Who or what is the 'Doer'?
Are we not gods?

Well then? What new thing is there that is not already known?

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Are we not gods?

Blessings, AJ
Known by Whom? I, I, I, and me, me, me?

Satan is disquised as our Ego and has convinced us that he doesn't exist, thus hiding in plain view.
Because he rules this earthly realm. A boon to him by God.
Loving this world puts one at enmity with God.

I bow to the One True Lord whom abides within and not the Empostor.

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste`
Steadfast Drifter, (nothing personal)

Old 02-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Drifter View Post
Why are we gods? Because we have our own will, "to do" as we please.

Now, if we surrender that will to God, then the doer of good is in us to do.

Of ourselves, there is no power of any good.

To say that God is not the mover and shaker of our deeds, is to say that God is not in us, save we claim it is us and not God.

And that would be exactly what causes the separation in the first place.

Arrogance is the height of a god in its own will.

1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

You see, not our will, but the will of Him that inhabits us, is the doer, the enabler.

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Are we not gods?

Blessings, AJ
We are fallen angels'/wayward souls, and worthy of our Fathers forgiveness.

What can I learn from the parable of the prodigal son? Ego is the 'Prima-Dona' in us.

The Parable of the Prodigal Son – The Text
Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

"Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' So he got up and went to his father.

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

“The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

"Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

"The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

"'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found'" (
Luke 15:11-32).

The Parable of the Prodigal Son – The Meaning
The parable of the prodigal son is one of the most well-known stories of Jesus. It is more commonly referred to as the story of the prodigal son, though the word prodigal is not found in Scripture. To characterize the son as “lost” emphasizes that sinners are alienated from God; to characterize the son as “prodigal” casts an emphasis on a wayward lifestyle. In truth, this particular parable has many points to bring out concerning the nature of man and God.

The word prodigal may be defined as “rashly or wastefully extravagant”; the son in the story exhibited this behavior with his handling of his share of his father’s estate. Having prematurely gotten hold of his inheritance from the father he “squandered his wealth in wild living” then, “began to be in need.” The natural state of unregenerate mankind is always toward lust and greed and extravagance of all kinds; without God we squander our resources and energies until we are void and empty. When the younger son found himself in this state, he remained in the far country working in a contemptible job and willing to eat the food he was feeding to the pigs which were under his care. When we remain in a place of alienation from God, we descend into futility, darkness, and humiliation.

The parable of the prodigal son indicates, however, that we do have the opportunity to make a change; we do not have to stay in our hopeless state; we can come to ourselves. The lost son realized that in his father’s house there was sustenance for him; he humbled himself, willing, if necessary, to be his father’s servant, and started back home. This turning in our lives is the first indication of God’s love for us. Even recognizing our sinful, hopeless state is initiated in us by God, Himself. “Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?” (
Romans 2:4).

The parable of the prodigal son makes it obvious that God was at work. That he was able to see the younger son when he was still a long way off means that the father was watching for his son, waiting for him, longing for him. The father runs to him, embraces him, loves him and gives him gifts; he seems totally oblivious to the fact that his son has disrespected him, acted outrageously, and lost everything. The father lavishes upon him, celebrates over him. This is a wonderful picture of the great love of God towards us. He seeks after us, reaches out to us. When we come to Him, He washes away all our evil deeds of the past, not holding them against us. “You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea” (
Micah 7:19).

The parable of the prodigal son also shows the attitude of the self-righteous sinner, pictured by the older son. He quarreled with his father that the younger son had messed up and yet the father had prepared for him the “fatted calf.” Because he considered himself better than the younger son, he could not share in the father’s joy. “My son,” the father said, “you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.” The older son’s hardness of heart made him unaware of the riches available to him in his father’s house. This son complained that he had “slaved all these years.” He had no more love for the father than the younger son; nor did he avail himself of all the good things the father freely provided for him at all times. Both sin and self-righteousness separate us from God. We all require God’s grace, His unearned, unmerited love for us. The father went out to the disgruntled older son. God is He who always continues to seek after us, regardless of the state we are in.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Why are we gods? Because we have our own will, "to do" as we please.

Now, if we surrender that will to God, then the doer of good is in us to do.

Of ourselves, there is no power of any good.

To say that God is not the mover and shaker of our deeds, is to say that God is not in us, save we claim it is us and not God.

And that would be exactly what causes the separation in the first place.

Arrogance is the height of a god in its own will.

1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

You see, not our will, but the will of Him that inhabits us, is the doer, the enabler.

Blessings, AJ
Gods will was usurped by ego. I, self, mine.
Satan is a doer, 'a mover and a shaker of our deeds' too.
He wants us dead, but he'll settle for us being miserable.
Discernment is Key.
By far the biggest ISM we have to conquer.
"This", is Lucifers teriitory, just ask God.
We have to get past the examiner of souls to get to God, like the examples in the Bible illustrates. Jesus, Job, Judas, Moses, Saul etc., etc., etc.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a...inglimits.html

See the Four Noble Truths, and The Eightfold Path.
http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/

Old 02-14-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
We are fallen angels'/wayward souls, and worthy of our Fathers forgiveness.
Absolutely! Applicable; to all of us us yes, but mainly to the nation of Israel.
I can explain that later if you like.

Quote:
The parable of the prodigal son indicates, however, (1)that we do have the opportunity to make a change; (2)we do not have to stay in our hopeless state; (3)we can come to ourselves. The lost son realized that in his father’s house there was sustenance for him; (4)he humbled himself, (5)willing, if necessary, (6)to be his father’s servant, and started back home. (7) This turning in our lives is the first indication of God’s love for us. Even recognizing our sinful, hopeless state is initiated in us by God, Himself. “Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?” (Romans 2:4).
Comments on the underlined words:
1.The opportunity first has to be offered, agreed?
2. Choice as gods
3. If we are bitten
4. Surrendered the will
5. Word "if" is not an option, it is a must
6. A servant = will surrendered
7. I insert this verse: 2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
8. Perfectly said!
9. Repentance is the changing of our minds in surrender to the will of God as the giver and sustain-er of life!

Quote:
"...The father runs to him"
... initiated by the father

Quote:
The father went out to the disgruntled older son. God is He who always continues to seek after us, regardless of the state we are in.
That is the "Good news" to a "lost world".

Now, that was an excellent post addressing all the needs of a lost condition needing acceptance back into the fold, sort of speak.

Now, in that same story, "prodigal son" we see that the other brother by no means could ransom the prodigal son because he was to amused with himself.

Which is addressed in this verse: Psa 49:7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

Only the Father can redeem His own son.

Now if we substitute the son as a similitude of all of humanities lost condition, we can clearly see the Fathers redemption works.

He reaches out to the lost son and redeems him.

While the other son, in his like you say, "self-righteous" conditions, is a similitude of all the worlds religions who judge themselves as the only truth way, path and understanding of what is.

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
(1)Gods will was usurped by ego. I, self, mine.
(2)Satan is a doer, 'a mover and a shaker of our deeds' too.
(3)He wants us dead, but he'll settle for us being miserable.
(4)Discernment is Key.
By far the biggest ISM we have to conquer.
"This", is Lucifers teriitory, just ask God.
(5)We have to get past the examiner of souls to get to God, like the examples in the Bible illustrates. Jesus, Job, Judas, Moses, Saul etc., etc., etc.
1. The reason for the expulsion from the garden. (Metaphor)
2. Now here we have to understand just what that means.
You are aware that God can bring evil upon us right? I mean He does state that in the old Testament.
Ref: Jos 23:15 Therefore it shall come to pass, that as all good things are come upon you, which the LORD your God promised you; so shall the LORD bring upon you all evil things, until he have destroyed you from off this good land which the LORD your God hath given you.

So, the onus is ours not to invite such evil by our very deeds.

3. We are already dead!(Lost) What we need is like the prodigal son, redemption from God the Father, the giver of life from the dead.

4. Discernment is given is given upon surrender of the will establishing the enabler in us as God.

(5) We can not get passed anything without first surrendering the will.

That is the whole point!

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-15-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Absolutely! Applicable; to all of us us yes, but mainly to the nation of Israel.
I can explain that later if you like.

Comments on the underlined words:
1.The opportunity first has to be offered, agreed?
2. Choice as gods
3. If we are bitten
4. Surrendered the will
5. Word "if" is not an option, it is a must
6. A servant = will surrendered
7. I insert this verse: 2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
8. Perfectly said!
9. Repentance is the changing of our minds in surrender to the will of God as the giver and sustain-er of life!

... initiated by the father

That is the "Good news" to a "lost world".

Now, that was an excellent post addressing all the needs of a lost condition needing acceptance back into the fold, sort of speak.

Now, in that same story, "prodigal son" we see that the other brother by no means could ransom the prodigal son because he was to amused with himself.

Which is addressed in this verse: Psa 49:7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

Only the Father can redeem His own son.

Now if we substitute the son as a similitude of all of humanities lost condition, we can clearly see the Fathers redemption works.

He reaches out to the lost son and redeems him.

While the other son, in his like you say, "self-righteous" conditions, is a similitude of all the worlds religions who judge themselves as the only truth way, path and understanding of what is.

Blessings, AJ
I think it may be called grace.

Initially it was an allegory for the death and resurrection of the Godman throughout various cultures and in different times for different peoples.
The allegory of Dionysis and Osiris.
The allegory of Krishna and Arjuna.
The allegory of Moses and Jesus.
The allegory of Jesus and the Christ.
Christ and God.
All example/extrapolations of Plato's "The Allegory of the Cave."
And it is by Grace that we awaken to the truth which the allegory gives us an insight into.

Literally it doesn't make much sense but allegorically/metaphorically it withstands the test of time.
Which is why Sages, Wisemen, Saints, Prophets and like spoke the way they did, so their teachings would stand the test of time. If this generation doesn't evolve or mature to the point of understanding, the same message is there and maybe the next generation will surpase the onlder one in comprehension and spritual evolution and will understand and help their fellow man comprehend them as well.
Therefore it is said, 'Where two or more of a like-mind are gathered together in brotherhood and comraderie and in my name, there am I.'

I had this exact same experience during carotid surgery shortly after a stroke in May of 2000.
I know from first hand experience there is something beyond what everyone considers "normal reality".
It's somewhat extraordinary to see/witness what you formerly thought was "I" or "me", lifeless and on a table being attended to [under the knife] by the surgeon and nurses and being completely out-of-body and one with awareness.
No body to speak of, just a conscious re-connection with something that felt vaguely familiar and a somewhat foreign sense of presence awareness without a physical vehicle.
In fact, I don't believe it would have made any difference had the former vehicle that housed the present awareness that "I" now was, my body, and Conscience no longer a part of, went to the crematory, grave, or arose and walked again. Death it seemed, had no power here.

I can tell you from first hand experience that, from that perspective, looking upon what you though was, and rightfully so at the time, "your Life", from that perspective it[this life] appears as a dream, a dream called [here] the waking state. But from there you have awoken from this dream, no longer a dreamer. And something else that is quite profound, you see that what you thought you were, was really the Ego. Which pretty much controlled and ran the whole "waking state".

The mind/body organism subservient to its (egos) every beck and call.
I guess in psychology that is what is known as "instinctual drive" but it is a conditioned response and not a natural one, an enculturated one, just like Jesus. And it's based on our environmental and cultural conditioning. And it's also what most 'normal people' consider their "I" and their "me".
It is this Impostor personae, and our subservience to it is what creates our happiness or lack thereof in the waking state. For the most part, a lack therefof of the happiness as human we seek.
In most cases it is a ruthless tyrant causing us such despair we turn to other solutions, when the real solution is our own Higher Power Christ Conscience within us when awakened. It is not outside of us but inside of us. It is the Christ State spoken of in the Bible.

The original purpose and intention of the allegory of the death and resurrection of the Godman was to acquaint us with our own higher power, and for those who were successful in doing so, followers gathered about them to hear of the redeemer, the Godman.
For each must find him through their own searching, it is a personal quest/seeking and others who are knowledgeable of it point the way.

This is what The Baptism of The Holy Spirit and thew prodigal son returning home to his Father illustrates.

Relative consciousness seeks to become one again with Cosmic Consciousness.

Thoughts become words become deeds become habits condition behavior builds character influences destiny.
We might all ask ourselves; Where is my "I" leading me?

And, "Who Am I?" ~Ramana Maharshi
(Google)

Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
1. The reason for the expulsion from the garden. (Metaphor)
2. Now here we have to understand just what that means.
You are aware that God can bring evil upon us right? I mean He does state that in the old Testament.
Ref: Jos 23:15 Therefore it shall come to pass, that as all good things are come upon you, which the LORD your God promised you; so shall the LORD bring upon you all evil things, until he have destroyed you from off this good land which the LORD your God hath given you.

So, the onus is ours not to invite such evil by our very deeds.

3. We are already dead!(Lost) What we need is like the prodigal son, redemption from God the Father, the giver of life from the dead.

4. Discernment is given is given upon surrender of the will establishing the enabler in us as God.

(5) We can not get passed anything without first surrendering the will.

That is the whole point!

Blessings, AJ

Identification with your mind creates an opaque screen of concepts, labels, images, words, judgements, and definitions that block all true relationship. It comes between you and yourself, between you and your fellow man and woman, between you and nature, between you and God.

It is this screen of thought that creates the illusion of seperateness, the illusion that there is you anda totally seperate [SIZE=2]"other."[/SIZE] You then forget the essential fact that, underneath the level of physical appearances and seperate forms, you are one with all that is. By "forget," I mean that you can no longer feel this oneness as self-evident reality. You may believe it to be true, but you no longer know it to be true.

A belief may be comforting. Only through your experience, however, does it become liberating. ~E.Tolle

[SIZE=2]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hwyuQbIb0Xs[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity