Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 AM

284 posts, read 320,108 times

Advertisements

The book 'The Judas Secret' cites twenty pieces of evidence claiming to show that 'Jesus Christ' was just an alias for the disciple Simon Peter. If there is no evidence that Jesus was not this man, is it OK for Christians to believe that he was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
No, Jesus was not Simon Peter.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:36 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Peter even denied it - three times!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
No, Jesus was not Simon Peter.
What makes you say that?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Peter even denied it - three times!
Perhaps this is because he decided he didn't want to be 'Jesus' any more. (If you've read the book, you will know why I've said this.)

Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Sherente View Post
What makes you say that?
It would mean that you are changing scriptures.

Quote:
Mat 4:18 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
Mat 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
How could Simon Peter (aka Jesus) walk by the sea of Galilee, see Simon Peter (who is actually himself) and his brother and say to Simon Peter (himself) follow me?

I do not feel the need to rush out and buy the book - it sounds like something that is just based on speculation.

Maybe you can post some more reasons why you think it ok to believe that Jesus was actually Simon Peter.

Are you a christian? It would seem not as a christian is someone who believes that Jesus is the Son of God by the resurrection from the dead by the Holy Spirit. The promised Jewish Messiah.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
How could Simon Peter (aka Jesus) walk by the sea of Galilee, see Simon Peter (who is actually himself) and his brother and say to Simon Peter (himself) follow me?
'Jesus Christ' means 'Saviour Messiah' - a role that Simon Peter could have felt 'called' to take on -just as Christians today are 'called' by God to follow various other paths.[/quote]

Quote:
I do not feel the need to rush out and buy the book - it sounds like something that is just based on speculation.
No, there's no speculation in it. The evidence follows naturally through logically applying the words of the gospels and making associations between the words used by the gospel writers.

Quote:
Maybe you can post some more reasons why you think it ok to believe that Jesus was actually Simon Peter.

Are you a christian? It would seem not as a christian is someone who believes that Jesus is the Son of God by the resurrection from the dead by the Holy Spirit. The promised Jewish Messiah.
I personally think it is OK, because I don't mind whether Jesus was called by one name or another. I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus was the Son of God, that he was resurrected by the Holy Spirit and that he was the Jewish Messiah. I also find myself convinced by the argument that he was Simon Peter.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Sherente View Post
'Jesus Christ' means 'Saviour Messiah' - a role that Simon Peter could have felt 'called' to take on -just as Christians today are 'called' by God to follow various other paths.

No, there's no speculation in it. The evidence follows naturally through logically applying the words of the gospels and making associations between the words used by the gospel writers.

I personally think it is OK, because I don't mind whether Jesus was called by one name or another. I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus was the Son of God, that he was resurrected by the Holy Spirit and that he was the Jewish Messiah. I also find myself convinced by the argument that he was Simon Peter.
Yes and for two thousand years, the entire world has been deceived....

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
A huge secret about Jesus Christ's betrayal has remained buried within the surface version of the gospel for nearly two thousand years. Its tale is a sinister one - of cryptic codes, religious intrigues and a plot to murder ... but this time it's all for real.
With evidence taken directly from the Bible, Nicolas Fromings cracks open a hidden code running through the heart of the gospel, and stumbles upon an incredible discovery. For the first time ever in Christian history, we see not only Jesus identified by his real name, but also an astonishing truth revealed about his betrayal that will revolutionise our understanding of the gospel.
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1083786

Sounds like a best selling mystery novel that makes lots of money for the author

Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Quote:
The Judas Secret | By Nicolas Fromings | Category: Religion & Spirituality | Blurb

Sounds like a best selling mystery novel that makes lots of money for the author
lol, yeah it does doesn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity