Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,330,451 times

Advertisements

We could solve this whole debate if someone would just take a communion wafer down to a lab and have it checked for DNA. Same with the wine. If science proves it's only wine and a bread product, then we know the truth - that it's symbolic.

Personally, I've always been one to side with science (especially simple science that can prove communion is not human flesh and blood) rather than hocus-pocus. Faith that ignores truth just doesn't work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,781,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We could solve this whole debate if someone would just take a communion wafer down to a lab and have it checked for DNA. Same with the wine. If science proves it's only wine and a bread product, then we know the truth - that it's symbolic.

Personally, I've always been one to side with science (especially simple science that can prove communion is not human flesh and blood) rather than hocus-pocus. Faith that ignores truth just doesn't work for me.
Science would find that physically, it's made of everything bread and wine is made of. But what something is, can be separate of what something is made of. Just as Jesus was fully God, under the appearance of man, so is the Eucharist IS Jesus's flesh and blood, under the temperance of bread and wine.

Last edited by DNick; 03-08-2010 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,571,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Science would find that physically, it's made of everything bread and wine is made of. But what something is, can be separate of what something is made of. Just as Jesus was fully God, under the appearance of man, so is the Eucharist Jesus's flesh and blood, and the temperance of bread and wine.
But Jesus does miracles.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:06 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,330,451 times
If my god tells me the sky is green, is it really? I don't care if Catholics think it's true flesh and blood. It harms no one for them to believe it, although I've known more than one Catholic who doubted it. IMO, this is just another instance where one sect of Christianity takes a Bible verse literally, and others don't. And it's odd that the Christian sects that claim to take the Bible literally don't take "This is My body", "This is My blood" literally.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
If my god tells me the sky is green, is it really? I don't care if Catholics think it's true flesh and blood. It harms no one for them to believe it, although I've known more than one Catholic who doubted it. IMO, this is just another instance where one sect of Christianity takes a Bible verse literally, and others don't. And it's odd that the Christian sects that claim to take the Bible literally don't take "This is My body", "This is My blood" literally.
The most serious error has not come in interpreting "This is my Body" incorrectly. It has come in insisting that there is no other permissible interpretation, and that everyone follow that interpretation- and, for hundreds of years, on pain of death, let no-one forget. So, if the literal interpretation was to be thought correct, it is one that should perhaps lead one to reject the religion of Christ entirely.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Well, from the beginning of christian history, they have believed and proclaimed that it is truly the body and blood of Christ. And called people heretics who denied this fact.

Also

1 Cor 11
23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.
1 cor 11 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

Read this. Pray over it. Think about it. Once again, This is my body. There isn't much room for interpretation IMO.

Also when you get to verse 27, if it mearly is figurative, why would you need to examine yourself? Why would you be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord, if it is just bread and wine?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Well, from the beginning of christian history, they have believed and proclaimed that it is truly the body and blood of Christ.
Evidence, please.

Quote:
There isn't much room for interpretation IMO.
The passage supports either interpretation.

Quote:
Also when you get to verse 27, if it mearly is figurative, why would you need to examine yourself? Why would you be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord, if it is just bread and wine?
Because the body and blood of the Lord are the actual body and blood, and the sacrifice they represent.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Here is link with many writing of the early church fathers claiming the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist.. Some dating back as early as living concurrently with the Apostles.

http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/father/a5.html

Last edited by DNick; 03-08-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Here is link
What a pity. Never mind, I'll do the work.

Now why would anyone believe that Ignatius was a Christian?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM

303 posts, read 571,210 times
juj SAID:That's not exactly true. Protestant communion lacks the real presense of Jesus Christ.
what a crock Jesus lives inside of us because we become His temple when we are born again not in some communion wafer..
if you accidently drop the communion wafer on the floor did you just drop Jesus on the floor ???
If you hurt another human being you are hurting Jesus ???
"if you have done it to the least of these you have done it unto me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity