Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Thw spirit if vengeance in mainstream christianity has never understood one of two things "how much they were forgiven themselves or forgiveness as a whole".
That is the point and the fallacy of ones choice. God does no torment anyone, they torment themselves. God merely leaves them alone in their torment of thier own making, but they do have a way out if they make a choice for Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
That is the point and the fallacy of ones choice. God does no torment anyone, they torment themselves. God merely leaves them alone in their torment of thier own making, but they do have a way out if they make a choice for Christ.
Then you are saying God allows people to stay in torment forever. Am I understanding you correctly? And you must agree that God knew this would be even before He created the universe. In essence, God created a system where He knew the very people He created would be tormented forever.

Do you believe God loves these people that are tormenting themselves forever?

If you say YES, then is God's love restricted by Him "respecting" their "free will" choice?

Do you understand that if you love someone, you would not let them put themselves through torment forever? Part of love is "not delighting in evil" and "always protecting" (See 1 Cor 13).

So in effect, if you believe God leaves a person alone to suffer forever because of their choice, you are also saying that God's love has failed that person. So either God's love fails (which cannot be - Love never fails), or God simply doesn't love everyone.

Another thing to consider: you say above "they do have a way out if they make a choice for Christ". But everyone will make a choice for Christ when they bow to Him and swear allegiance to Him. Now you are in another quandary. If you say its too late, God won't accept it anymore, now you must admit that it is God who is responsible for tormenting people forever (not themselves as you say above), becauese God has revoked the "offer for salvation". On the other hand if you say not everyone will choose Christ, then you are contradicting the scriptures that say everyone will bow, confess His name, swear allegiance to Him, and even joyfully praise Him.

Just some things to think on...

Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
On the other hand if you say not everyone will choose Christ, then you are contradicting the scriptures that say everyone will bow, confess His name, swear allegiance to Him, and even joyfully praise Him.

Just some things to think on...
Lego,
"swear allegiance to Him" .........

Don't start please.......

Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
My point is ET is a product of the mind that does not know or understand the forgiveness of God and how much they have been forgiven by Him . so if you in your mind are making it by the skin of your teeth to were ever your doctrine has you going to(yes i know you fundy's say it's by faith, your confession speaks otherwise) , how can the unbeliever ever make it.

Last edited by pcamps; 03-17-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Also, God says "vengence is mine"..."i will repay"...
... and then have mercy.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Lego,
"swear allegiance to Him" .........

Don't start please.......
I know I've been over this before with you, and you refused to acknowledge it then.

From the NASB:

Isaiah 45:23"I have sworn by Myself,
The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness
And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will
swear allegiance.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
I know I've been over this before with you, and you refused to acknowledge it then.

From the NASB:

And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.
I know...all to well.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
My point is ET is a product of the mind that does not know or understand the forgiveness of God and how much they have been forgiven by Him . so if you in your mind are making it by the skin of your teeth to were ever your doctrine has you going to(yes i know you fundy's say it's by faith, your confession speaks otherwise) , how can the unbeliever ever make it.
I think you plagerized this verse:

1 Pet. 4:18 And, "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:

From the NASB:

And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.
It's funny, the last part of Isaiah does speak of a certain class being not redeemed, although it seems to suggest the majority will be redeemed. The Targum on Isaiah 66:24 says, 'their souls will not die, nor their fire be quenched; they will be judged in hell, until the righteous say concerning them; we have seen enough.' Whether you want to interpret the last part as the righteous merely turning their eyes away, the wicked being annihilated, or God finally redeeming them after a period of suffering is up to you. Keep in mind it's someone's interpretation, but it reflects common beliefs about the eventual punishment of the wicked.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Quote:
That's the new kinder gentler version of the hell myth. The contradiction is that Jesus says "depart from me" (which leads to the kinder, gentler version) but in Rev. the fire and brimstone is "In the PRESENCE of the lamb".

Can't have it both ways. The solution to the dilemma is that neither scenario is talking about eternal hell at all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity