Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I think that parts of Christianity in the past believed that babies were toast.
You think? I have never heard of such thing. Can you provide a link please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,334,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
There are people right here on this very forum who believe that faithless babies go to hell.
51And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, 52And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. 53And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. 54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? 55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. 56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. Luke 9

I was painting the walls in my garage yesterday (oh no i broke the orthodox church sabbath) and happened to roll over a Daddy long legs(he was no more), the thing was i was very remorseful about it, and apologized to God for it. Immediately the though came to me if i (being evil) could feel bad about killing a Daddy long legs, how much more would our Heavenly Father who value's His own creation made in His own image above all things, do such a thing as eternally burn those of His own creation who did not receive Him .Anyone with an ounce of intelligence can see that if we being evil would never consider in our hearts to burn just 1 person eternally never mind billions , how much more would our Heavenly Father .

Old 05-17-2010, 08:19 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,138,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I think that parts of Christianity in the past believed that babies were toast.
John Calvin: "There are babies a span long in hell."

Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I was painting the walls in my garage yesterday (oh no i broke the orthodox church sabbath) and happened to roll over a Daddy long legs(he was no more), the thing was i was very remorseful about it, and apologized to God for it. Immediately the though came to me if i (being evil) could feel bad about killing a Daddy long legs, how much more would our Heavenly Father who value's His own creation made in His own image above all things, do such a thing as eternally burn those of His own creation who did not receive Him .Anyone with an ounce of intelligence can see that if we being evil would never consider in our hearts to burn just 1 person eternally never mind billions , how much more would our Heavenly Father .
Jonathan Edwards: "The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours"

Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 AM

45,644 posts, read 27,268,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Bible says they go to heaven, so they go to heaven.

2 Samuel 12:23 You fasted and wept for the child while he was alive; but when the child died, you arose and ate food." 22He said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept, for I said, 'Who knows whether the LORD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?' 23But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me."

David knew he would one day be reunited with his baby in heaven.

All people are born into sin nature, and that means all people will sin and without God they will keep sinning willfully as they grow up. Babies are too young to understand sin, and therefore will not answer for what they do not understand.
FYI - David never mentions heaven as a place for people after life on earth. Even Samuel when he died did not go to heaven (at that point in time).

Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,334,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Jonathan Edwards: "The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours"

And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.Matthew 10 verse 30

Our Heavenly Father so intimate with us that our hairs on our head are numbered is going to do what J Edwards says because the message of Jesus was not received . Sounds to me that he was of the same spirit that James and John were of when Jesus visited that samaritan village.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
John Calvin: "There are babies a span long in hell."
"There are babies a span long in hell." - this quote is not verifiable - I can't locate a direct source where Calvin said this, although plenty of people claim he did say it. Its difficult to say whether Calvin believed all babies who die as babies are "elect" or not, certainly Calvin would believe any "non-elect" babies that die would be burning in hell.

The Jonathan Edwards quote is from his "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God sermon" - its quite a read!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.Matthew 10 verse 30

Our Heavenly Father so intimate with us that our hairs on our head are numbered is going to do what J Edwards says because the message of Jesus was not received . Sounds to me that he was of the same spirit that James and John were of when Jesus visited that samaritan village.
Indeed. Edwards says God abhors you. Good news.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,193,950 times
Quote:
A.W. Tozer: "What enters into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. The history of man will probably show that no people has ever risen above its religion.

Always the most revealing thing about the Church is her idea of God, just as her most significant message is what she says about Him or leaves unsaid, for her silence is often more eloquent than her speech. She can never escape the self-disclosure of her witness concerning God."

The question in many young minds (<10 yrsold) is how do you reconcile a God of love with eternal torment?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 AM

45,644 posts, read 27,268,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The question in many young minds (<10 yrsold) is how do you reconcile a God of love with eternal torment?
I don't think that question immediately pops into their minds - unless the idea is suggested by someone else.

And if they do ask that question, the adult in the room should spell out the good news - which is about God offering a free choice to be saved from the torment, through faith in Christ - John 3:16.

You don't have a long conversation about how God is love and he will not torment everyone forever - that is not the gospel message. John 3:16 does not say "For God so loved the world that He will save everyone and not one soul will perish, and all will have eternal life".

The good news is spelled out in the Bible. That is what we should be about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity