Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 03:42 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,450,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Gee one might think that "we're all gonna die" except for the fact that the frequency of earthquakes is perfectly normal.

Besides on a planet billions and billions of years old, to say that there is any trend by counting them over a 5 month period is laughable, and even more so because the frequency is well within the normal.

The earth's tectonic plates continue their slow movements as usual, the normal physics of the planet, no signs, no omens, no gods controlling any of it.

Thank you for sharing, I'm glad you have it all figured out!! But some of the top guys (scientist) haven't the slightest clue.....why don't you just give em a call? Change IS coming! And I'm not talking about change you can "vote" for.....

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 06-13-2010 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,450,255 times
What the scientist are saying........

Excerpts from article: "But for the past two years, the sunspots have mostly been missing. Their absence, the most prolonged for nearly a hundred years, has taken even seasoned sun watchers by surprise. "This is solar behaviour we haven't seen in living memory," says David Hathaway, a physicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

The sun is under scrutiny as never before thanks to an armada of space telescopes.
The results they beam back are portraying our nearest star, and its influence on Earth, in a new light. Sunspots and other clues indicate that the sun's magnetic activity is diminishing, and that the sun may even be shrinking. Together the results hint that something profound is happening inside the sun. The big question is what?

The stakes have never been higher. Groups of sunspots forewarn of gigantic solar storms that can unleash a billion times more energy than an atomic bomb. Fears that these giant solar eruptions could create havoc on Earth and disputes over the sun's role in climate change, are adding urgency to these studies. When NASA and the European Space Agency launched the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory almost 15 years ago, "understanding the solar cycle was not one of its scientific objectives", says Bernhard Fleck, the mission's project scientist. "Now it is one of the key questions."

Full article here: What's wrong with the sun? - space - 14 June 2010 - New Scientist

Read and understand that we are not living in the same day people! At least try to understand.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Thank you for sharing, I'm glad you have it all figured out!! But some of the top guys (scientist) haven't the slightest clue.....why don't you just give em a call? Change IS coming! And I'm not talking about change you can "vote" for.....
Nor was I; I was actually referencing reality, something that someone really really needs to share with you. Reality that the earthquakes that currently occurring are will within the normal frequency of occurance.

There are immense forces at work here, tectonic plates that have been moving slowly for a very long time, the tidal effects of the moon and sun, all effecting our planet, all very normal. Science understands the process, and have for quite a while, just not to the point that the slippage of specific jagged edges of the plates slipping past each other can be predicted.

There are lots of problems currently, wars, hatred, paranoia over expiring calendars, assuming that normal events are a 'sign' of something. Well, actually they are, they are a sign that things are going along pretty much as usual.

Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,015,699 times
Quote:
I'm not making a prediction, God forbid. It appears though, that there has been an increase of seismic activity there. Thinking about my family.....they don't want to leave.
Betsey, I have been feeling earthquakes (tremors) back home since I was a kid living there. They were VERY common but as is often the case, very short-lived and nothing more than some minor shaking. That was 25-30 years ago. With the great leaps in the technological advances since that time, it is not surprising that EVERY single tremor that now comes calling, people post it on the internet on Facebook. The internet (as we know it now), much less, Facebook was not around to keep us so up to date and aware of things by the second. Heck, I'm on Facebook right now and folks are reporting on EVERY single play in the NBA Finals as they occur as well as the World Cup earlier today. This is the point some are making in this thread. The increase is NOT in the frequency, only OUR [increase in] knowledge of them.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,950,348 times
Man has been around for what equates to the blink of an eye. To say that we are seeing earthquakes and solar flares on a scale not seen before is a bit presumptuous, don't you think? This is all natural, has always happened and will continue to happen. To the superstitious it has been the 'end of times' since time began. Every people in times past thought the end was near. Who knows, maybe it is and we will all be wiped out by a meteor tomorrow. But to claim it's near based on natural occurances and cycles is beyond ridiculous. All the doomsdayers of the past ended up being fools just as the doomdayers of today are.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,627,691 times
Quote:
If you were really, truly beyond words...everything you post would look something like this:

But you have an assignment to fulfill.....carry on.
That's why I said "almost". And your "you have your assignment" speak shows more shades of end time paranoia. Since when did someone looking at facts and asking questions equate to "having an assignment"? A little weird.

You not addressing the specific points/questions (on earthquakes) speaks volumes.

Quote:

Excerpts from article: "But for the past two years, the sunspots have mostly been missing. Their absence, the most prolonged for nearly a hundred years, has taken even seasoned sun watchers by surprise. "This is solar behaviour we haven't seen in living memory," says David Hathaway, a physicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

The sun is under scrutiny as never before thanks to an armada of space telescopes.
The results they beam back are portraying our nearest star, and its influence on Earth, in a new light. Sunspots and other clues indicate that the sun's magnetic activity is diminishing, and that the sun may even be shrinking. Together the results hint that something profound is happening inside the sun. The big question is what?

The stakes have never been higher. Groups of sunspots forewarn of gigantic solar storms that can unleash a billion times more energy than an atomic bomb. Fears that these giant solar eruptions could create havoc on Earth and disputes over the sun's role in climate change, are adding urgency to these studies. When NASA and the European Space Agency launched the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory almost 15 years ago, "understanding the solar cycle was not one of its scientific objectives", says Bernhard Fleck, the mission's project scientist. "Now it is one of the key questions."

Full article here: What's wrong with the sun? - space - 14 June 2010 - New Scientist

Read and understand that we are not living in the same day people! At least try to understand.
Now, there ya' go - some real data to chew on. Thumbs up and I will read them soon.

And - of course we're not living in the same day. They change every day.

Last edited by firstborn888; 06-14-2010 at 04:38 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 05:37 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,015,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Man has been around for what equates to the blink of an eye. To say that we are seeing earthquakes and solar flares on a scale not seen before is a bit presumptuous, don't you think? This is all natural, has always happened and will continue to happen. To the superstitious it has been the 'end of times' since time began. Every people in times past thought the end was near. Who knows, maybe it is and we will all be wiped out by a meteor tomorrow. But to claim it's near based on natural occurances and cycles is beyond ridiculous. All the doomsdayers of the past ended up being fools just as the doomdayers of today are.
Great post!

I also love the profile pic. Reminds me of one I took here in Harlem 2 winters ago. Just has that "lonely wanderer" feeling to it.

Ok, sorry folks. Carry on.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
Quote:

Excerpts from article: "But for the past two years, the sunspots have mostly been missing. Their absence, the most prolonged for nearly a hundred years, has taken even seasoned sun watchers by surprise. "[b]This is solar behaviour we haven't seen in living memory," says David Hathaway, a physicist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.
Except that NASA is not saying that, they are predicting a lower than average cycle we are about to enter.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,627,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Except that NASA is not saying that, they are predicting a lower than average cycle we are about to enter.
oops!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,694,261 times
I guess the sun needs to cool it's jets for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity