Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,540,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Are vengeful, do you enjoy kicking people when they are at what is probably the lowest point in their life, the loss of a child? Why is that you would say such an awful thing to the grieving parents that have just lost a child? This obsession with cramming YOUR beliefs down the throats of everyone is not healthy, and it is a hateful thing to say to anyone

If that were my child, and someone said that to me, I would probably just haul off and deck you
Exactly why no one should believe in hell... it's not okay to say someone is alive and headed to hell anymore than it is to say a loved one is in hell.

The whole thing is wrong which is what the point of the thread was. What hope have Christians if they believe all their non-believing friends and family are doomed to hell? If it was a plausible doctrine it would be perfectly reasonable to tell loved ones that their family member is burning as we speak.

It isn't therefore the doctrine of eternal torment in hell needs to be re-evaluated.

No one is actually thinking of saying that to the parents... not even the ones who believe it to be true and defend it on this forum all the time.

I would deck them too... that is the point!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,227,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Exactly why no one should believe in hell... it's not okay to say someone is alive and headed to hell anymore than it is to say a loved one is in hell.

The whole thing is wrong which is what the point of the thread was. What hope have Christians if they believe all their non-believing friends and family are doomed to hell? If it was a plausible doctrine it would be perfectly reasonable to tell loved ones that their family member is burning as we speak.

It isn't therefore the doctrine of eternal torment in hell needs to be re-evaluated.

No one is actually thinking of saying that to the parents... not even the ones who believe it to be true and defend it on this forum all the time.

I would deck them too... that is the point!
Not everything is rainbows and butterflies! There are consequences and it's up the Lord NOT YOU OR ANYONE ELSE to determine what these consequences are. You deny hell because it doesn't make you feel good. This is so asinine.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,540,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Not everything is rainbows and butterflies! There are consequences and it's up the Lord NOT YOU OR ANYONE ELSE to determine what these consequences are. You deny hell because it doesn't make you feel good. This is so asinine.
Then you mean it should make you feel good to talk with the parents about how their child will be in hell? or worse is in hell?

If you are so sure of the consequences why hide the fact that the recently departed are in hell for their disbelief?

You guys will defend this horrible asinine doctrine but when it comes to someone losing an unsaved loved one you change your story... now it is not appropriate?

But this is:

A billboard is okay? What about all those people whose loved ones died without Christ and have to see something like this?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Then you mean it should make you feel good to talk with the parents about how their child will be in hell? or worse is in hell?

If you are so sure of the consequences why hide the fact that the recently departed are in hell for their disbelief?

You guys will defend this horrible asinine doctrine but when it comes to someone losing an unsaved loved one you change your story... now it is not appropriate?

But this is:

A billboard is okay? What about all those people whose loved ones died without Christ and have to see something like this?

You're the one saying that everything should feel good which is why hell can't exist. God would never do that to anyone. I'm telling you that there are consequences for sin. It's up to God to determine what that consequence is! Consequences aren't always pretty. I don't know why you think you can tell God how He needs to run things! Why would I tell the parents he is in hell? There is nothing they could do to get him to go to heaven, so why would I even bring it up? You obviously lack tact if you can't see why it would be completely inappropriate to talk about this with a grieving parent. He's already dead.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,199,095 times
Quote:
You're the one saying that everything should feel good which is why hell can't exist. God would never do that to anyone. I'm telling you that there are consequences for sin. It's up to God to determine what that consequence is! Consequences aren't always pretty. I don't know why you think you can tell God how He needs to run things! Why would I tell the parents he is in hell? There is nothing they could do to get him to go to heaven, so why would I even bring it up? You obviously lack tact if you can't see why it would be completely inappropriate to talk about this with a grieving parent. He's already dead.
There are consequences. I don't know many Universalists that say there aren't. But being set on fire forever isn't one of them. I do know we all have to get old and die, and that is absolutely horrifying to some people. DEATH is a rather nasty consequence. We all got the death sentence.......

Old 06-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:

But this is:

Please tell me that is not a real billboard.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:10 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,114,775 times
According to the beliefs of many on this board, it might be appropriate to just say that he had free will, and made the choice to be tortured in fire for eternity. God would not want to force His will on this man and make him enjoy eternal bliss, so who are we to second guess this man's decision? It must have been what he wanted to do, and God is loving enough to have allowed him to make the choice that he thought would make him happy.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
There are consequences. I don't know many Universalists that say there aren't. But being set on fire forever isn't one of them. I do know we all have to get old and die, and that is absolutely horrifying to some people. DEATH is a rather nasty consequence. We all got the death sentence.......
Universalists love to tell God what He can and can't do. It amazes me!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
So does tradition. That's why the Jews missed the boat.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,953,379 times
Quote:

No, that is your accusation, we can know what God can and cannot do from scripture and at times we can get an understanding from living life.

God cannot lie. I know this from scripture.

God will have all men saved and come to the knowledge of truth. I can know that by reading scripture.

Gods wrath remained upon him. I can read this in scripture and by experiencing it and the result it has, I can know what it meant for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.