Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,303 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
a friend of mine, fighting cancer for the last couple of years, died today. He was 47.
As a tribute to him, I thought I'd start a thread about the Christian's hope.
(I'm quite sure he never "accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior.")

Any thoughts?
Should I tell his parents he went to heaven or hell?

Blessings to all,
brian

Old 06-07-2010, 02:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
hi all,
a friend of mine, fighting cancer for the last couple of years, died today. He was 47.
As a tribute to him, i thought i'd start a thread about the christian's hope.
(i'm quite sure he never "accepted jesus as his lord and savior.")

any thoughts?
should i tell his parents he went to heaven or hell?

blessings to all,
brian
he is with the lord for he is loved by the almighty...

Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Brian,

All I will say is that I am very sorry for the loss of your friend and for your friends family I would suggest you should wait for them to ask your beliefs, not offer them uninvited, and if asked, tell them honestly what you believe --- They would need your support in this trying, sad time.......

Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Brian, Sorry about your friend. It's never easy, especially when you know they haven't accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior. My dad isn't saved. I have witnessed to him, but he has made it clear that he doesn't want to hear it anymore. There is still hope for him, and I am soooo thankful for the hope that's in my future because I gave my life to Christ. You shouldn't mention the whereabouts of your friend's soul to his parents. That would lack grace and push them farther from the Lord. Maybe a year from now you could mention that a person can be sure of where he's going when he dies... But never bring up that you think their son is in Hell. If they would ask your opinion in the future, you could say that "only God knows that for certain." And that's true, you never know if he invited Jesus to save him in the quietness of his heart before he drifted into eternity. That's all it takes. If only everyone could do that, but that's hard to do for the ones slamming into a telephone pole at 60mph. That's why I encourage people to accept the gift of salvation while there is yet time. Again, sorry for your loss. Keep telling folks the Good News!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:41 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Brian,

All I will say is that I am very sorry for the loss of your friend and for your friends family I would suggest you should wait for them to ask your beliefs, not offer them uninvited, and if asked, tell them honestly what you believe --- They would need your support in this trying, sad time.......
Sorry for your loss.

I agree with meerkat, if they respect you, and wish to know your beliefs, then they will ask and respect your answer!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 06-07-2010, 02:45 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:

I sure hope he accepted Christ and went to heaven. It is strange you are thinking about telling his parents he went to hell since you don't even believe there is such place. Why would you do that?

PS You don't know if he accepted Christ in his last moments, so you don't really know where he went. I would not tell the parents anything except that it is not for you to say because you don't know.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,166 times
So sorry for those who are grieving.

I agree, unless the family asks you, it is not appropriate to comment on spiritual matters. I mean, if they made it clear to you that they were worried about such, then I think you should share your hope with them. But not just out of the blue.

Your friend was the same age as me.

Heartsong

Old 06-07-2010, 03:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,525,301 times
Quote:
Hi all,
As a tribute to him, I thought I'd start a thread about the Christian's hope.

Any thoughts?

Blessings to all,
brian
I am sorry for your loss.

As to your question: Heaven

Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,525,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Brian,

I attended a funeral last year where the pastor preached on hell at the podium. Something to the effect of "since we think Tom barely made it into heaven let us save you from burning in hell for eternity"... Needless to say I found him to be quite inappropriate. However, I would have no problem telling the family that he went to heaven. None whatsoever. He's in a better place, free from cancer.

However... I have a different outlook on death.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,482 times
I'm so sorry for you loss. I agree with the others that said you should not comment about your beliefs unless they ask you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity