Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,282,148 times

Advertisements

I'll echo using the claybar first.

If it's really bad then talk to the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,392,445 times
Well, I was outside just trying to basically clean my windshield of any dirt that was on there and I started thinking about my boyfriends truck. His was beside my Jeep under the carport and it is also covered.

Well, he loves his Lightning and he is not happy. We went next door and no one in the house but the children who are home right now speak any English.

I am not going to try and remove anything at this point and my bf will be talking to them. I do not think they speak English either, so this should be fun.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
I would get a package of single-edge razor blades, and do a test spot on the windshield, dry. It might do the trick. I once bought a used van that had the back windows security-painted over, and a single-edge blade scraper took it right off clean.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,699,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, I was outside just trying to basically clean my windshield of any dirt that was on there and I started thinking about my boyfriends truck. His was beside my Jeep under the carport and it is also covered.

Well, he loves his Lightning and he is not happy. We went next door and no one in the house but the children who are home right now speak any English.

I am not going to try and remove anything at this point and my bf will be talking to them. I do not think they speak English either, so this should be fun.

Thanks for everyones advice.
While a lot of folks are giving you well meaning advice the simple truth here is that this paint overspray is comprehensive damage that your insurance company should cover. Overspray paint can seriously damage the finish on your car(s) if not removed by pros who have all the equipment and skill to do this right.

Best of luck.......

Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,738,864 times
My brother had his car vandalized one night with paint. Bug & Tar Remover took it right off. Then just a coat of wax.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
While a lot of folks are giving you well meaning advice the simple truth here is that this paint overspray is comprehensive damage that your insurance company should cover. Overspray paint can seriously damage the finish on your car(s) if not removed by pros who have all the equipment and skill to do this right.

Best of luck.......
Thanks GP!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:00 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,127,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NO NO NO, never do you put brake fluid on any paint unless you want to remove the paint down to the bare metal.

I see a lot of bad info on this forum but this is a topper.
Why is it that I have applied brake fluid onto scuffed paint on several occasions (generally large paint marks from another vehicle on bumpers) without issue? Are you telling me that Oreilly auto is lying to consumers and packaging something other than brake fluid into brake fluid containers? I'm sure there are "safer" alternatives but brake fluid is nice because it's always in the garage and works very well when used with care. If someone is afraid to work on it, then let them take it to a body shop.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,409,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Why is it that I have applied brake fluid onto scuffed paint on several occasions (generally large paint marks from another vehicle on bumpers) without issue? Are you telling me that Oreilly auto is lying to consumers and packaging something other than brake fluid into brake fluid containers? I'm sure there are "safer" alternatives but brake fluid is nice because it's always in the garage and works very well when used with care. If someone is afraid to work on it, then let them take it to a body shop.
Except for DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, all brake fluid eats paint. Why would you expect a counter guy to know that?

Do this test pour some brake fluid on the hood of your car tonight and see what it looks like in the morning.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,127,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Except for DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, all brake fluid eats paint. Why would you expect a counter guy to know that?

Do this test pour some brake fluid on the hood of your car tonight and see what it looks like in the morning.
In which post did I say I expected a counter guy to know this? Please quote me. I know very well what brake fluid does. Why would you leave it on overnight to remove paint as a result of an accident or other mishap? I don't know if you've ever done any baking but you can put the exact same item into two different ovens, leave one on for 45min and leave the other on 5 hours and get two very different results. One will produce a delicious dinner the other will be garbage. Proper timing is key to producing proper results in many different scenarios.

To anyone who actually wants a quick useful solution to paint problems: Take a terry cloth, fold it over and press it over the opening of the brake fluid container. Flip it over a few times to allow some fluid to soak in (it will be a very small amount). Rub the affected area while applying some pressure until the foreign paint is gone. Immediately afterwards, wash that area with soap/water and you're good to go. I did this most recently on my girlfriends car which was side swiped in a parking lot. There was a large area covered in the other vehicles paint. Now it looks good as new.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 11-28-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM

Well, the neighbor that did it just came over and said he was responsible for it and would pay to have it fixed. First he said he would put paint thinner on it, or that 'you could put paint thinner on it' and then asked how much we thought it would be.

Bf said we still had to take the vehicles to be looked at....

So, hopefully they will stand by what they are saying and do it. I have a feeling that they will because they are more than likely afraid of any legal involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram