Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 AM

304 posts, read 1,021,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Buy the Jeep. Even if half of the stuff is legit that is still a lot of money to sink into a car that is that old.

Right now we have a car with 50K miles and one with 92K. The one with 92k is just starting to need some stuff fixed (engine mounts) and with the looming timing belt we have decision to make. Gonna try and hold off until the car gets closer to 105-110,000.
Yeah, this is what the other half of me is thinking...it's a big decision because if we decide to fix the Camry then I basically need to stay on that path for several years so the $3K isn't just a sunk 1 year cost.

My car is a 2006 Dodge Charger that just hit 100K and has actually been mostly problem free and it would be nice if my wife could have the same feeling with a Jeep.

Decisions, decisions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,080,527 times
1. Talk to a different shop. Get a second opinion, and estimate, regarding needed repairs.
2. If you're going to go new (or newer), and you want economy, a Jeep is NOT the way to go.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,632,551 times
Judging from what you are paying, I would get something else but buy used. 1 to 2 years old and I would stay away from Heeps. I would look at the cuv's out there like the Mazda CX-5, RAV4, or CRV unless you plan on going way off-road. In that case, I would only look at the 4Runner or Xterra.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 AM

425 posts, read 649,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post

As for the new car depreciation hit, yeah I hate that but I sleep better knowing I am the original owner and don't want to go the 1-2 year old used car route...I'm always suspect of why someone would trade in their car that early unless there were problems (plus less time I personally have the car under warranty).
People trade in young cars all the time because they need to move, change in family needs, upgrade or downgrade.. In addition if you get a reliable car, IMO you don't "need" the early part of the warranty since you likely will never use it. I bought a 2 year old Highlander from some local used car dealer that only had 20K miles on it...only used the factory warranty once and that was for a dead battery. If you are really worried about the warranty, I still think you will get a better financial deal if you bought a used Toyota under warranty and then shopped around and got the factory extended warranty later. I would be weary of a new model Jeep...the brand does not have a great record for 1st year reliability on a new model.

If you are outdoors type of people, I'd get something like a used Subaru Outback. If you want to buy American, I was pleasantly surprised by the new Equinox....little small given the size but pretty decent.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
1. Talk to a different shop. Get a second opinion, and estimate, regarding needed repairs.
2. If you're going to go new (or newer), and you want economy, a Jeep is NOT the way to go.
1. I'll try.
2. Fuel economy is not an issue, though luckily my wife has mostly highway miles to work.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,891,995 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions on parts buying, I'll have to compare prices to the itemized list my mechanic printed out.

Glad you saved money on your leak fix, I'm OCD when it comes to car care so I don't know if I could handle it!

Double-check it and see -- I've seen markups of well over 100% sometimes. The problem is that the majority of the general public might know how much a car battery costs, but not many of them know what suspension or engine components cost. Couple that with the fact that people are conditioned to believe that it's expensive to maintain a car, and it creates a lot of profit for garages on parts.

I'm OCD as well -- I actually detail cars professionally on the weekends (high-buck cars, mostly), but some things I have learned to live with in exchange for keeping money in my pocket.....lol. The leak doesn't cause the Suburban to fail emissions, so I'm content to carry on. Every week, there's a spot of oil about the size of a quarter on the pan I keep below the Suburban.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Judging from what you are paying, I would get something else but buy used. 1 to 2 years old and I would stay away from Heeps. I would look at the cuv's out there like the Mazda CX-5, RAV4, or CRV unless you plan on going way off-road. In that case, I would only look at the 4Runner or Xterra.
As I said, I'm not too comfortable buying used but IF I did, AND I don't pay all cash for the vehicle, I ASSUME that the interest rate on the loan would be higher than a new vehicle all things considered?

Not to open a whole new can of worms, but let's just say I'm not a fan of the Asian cars for looks and other reasons (I know we all have our pro- and anti- stands on this and could argue ad infintium so let's keep that to ourselves).

Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,735,294 times
Quote:
Thanks for the personal experience review, my parents have an older Jeep and my sister just got a Wrangler and they all love them too.

I know it's hard to get "basic" vehicles these days without tons of options I don't want...just want a 4x4 Laredo with the 3.6 and maybe a tow-hitch so hopefully there are a few left not too much more than $30-$32K if I can get a deal.
I'd still get a '14. At the very least, you get the 8 speed tranny instead of the 5 speed. I can tell you now, it makes a world of difference. It was one of the main reasons I traded in my '12. You also get a touchscreen on the console instead of the older stereo, plus a few other odds and ends.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hken View Post
In addition if you get a reliable car, IMO you don't "need" the early part of the warranty since you likely will never use it. If you are really worried about the warranty, I still think you will get a better financial deal if you bought a used Toyota under warranty and then shopped around and got the factory extended warranty later.
If I get a "reliable" car, then yes I will not "need" the initial manufacturer's warranty. So if it is "reliable," then logic dictates there would not be a need for an extended warranty either due to past quality, right?

Just my personal experience but I find that whenever I buy something (cars, laptops, etc.), typically if there are any fundamental flaws/issues that arise, they occur in the early stages of ownership (under warranty). Depending on how severe they are, this would allow me to determine if it is even worth the continued use of such a product, maybe just sell the thing and have it be someone else's headache. If there are no initial problems, usually that means less over the long hual as well.

Sorry for the extended reply, I do appreciate your input

Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Double-check it and see -- I've seen markups of well over 100% sometimes. The problem is that the majority of the general public might know how much a car battery costs, but not many of them know what suspension or engine components cost. Couple that with the fact that people are conditioned to believe that it's expensive to maintain a car, and it creates a lot of profit for garages on parts.

I'm OCD as well -- I actually detail cars professionally on the weekends (high-buck cars, mostly), but some things I have learned to live with in exchange for keeping money in my pocket.....lol. The leak doesn't cause the Suburban to fail emissions, so I'm content to carry on. Every week, there's a spot of oil about the size of a quarter on the pan I keep below the Suburban.
Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram