Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,499,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think the OP said he only is interested in an American car. The Jeep Grand Cherokee (in base form without a power seat) is the cheapest SUV unless you go small and opt for a base Equinox or Escape. A base Edge with AWD might be a few bucks cheaper. I wouldn't want a Dodge Journey.

GM doesn't have a SUV that competes with the Grand Cherokee or Edge. The only have smaller or bigger and the bigger ones (Traverse, Acadia, etc.) are pricey.
The Pilot is an American car, too, built in Lincoln, AL. For an American branded vehicle, the Equinox is a good consideration, as are some of the Fords. Given that the OP has a 2001 Camry that he is looking to replace, that's why I'd recommend looking at other vehicles, as the Jeep is likely not to be anywhere near as trouble-free to own over the same period.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM

259 posts, read 672,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
but perhaps that's just me, and my experience with past Jeeps.
No question they had some problems in the past, but I cannot think of any manufacturer that hasn't. Definitely want to do your homework.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM

22,461 posts, read 29,647,940 times
Jeep-knowing your wife won't be stuck on the side of the road is worth the monthly payment and to save yourself the aggravation of getting chewed out over it

Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 PM

304 posts, read 1,021,731 times
Thanks again guys and gals for the additional comments, still undecided and the Camry is still running so we have some time to think this through.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,929,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
OK, without explicitly quoting and replying individually to all the recent messages (which I appreciate) here are my general thoughts:

*Safety is more important than saving $ in my book, hence leaning towards newer over older/current car.

*We have fairly good incomes and savings, a new car would not be a huge burden even with our mortgage.

*Jeeps can be expensive but I believe regular maintenance can be worth their functionality (my parents' one has over 240K miles, original engine).

*My wife grew up driving an SUV and actually prefers them. The Camry was purchased for her by her parents (as a certified used) during college. We then had a long distance relationship (3000 miles) where I was not always around to make sure she was following the maintenance schedule, thus the string of problems arising now.

*Now that we are together and married, I can better monitor regular maintenance and keep a new car on the right track from the start. When you're buying your own car rather than someone giving you one, you tend to take better care of it, like I've done with my own Charger.
If you have deduced this much from asking a question on a forum and reading answers you wasted yours and other's time. If you have the disposable income it should be a no brainer.

I had two other thoughts...
You don't own a competent set of tools and have never turned many wrenches in your life.
You are a democrat.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,929,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The Pilot is an American car, too, built in Lincoln, AL. For an American branded vehicle, the Equinox is a good consideration, as are some of the Fords. Given that the OP has a 2001 Camry that he is looking to replace, that's why I'd recommend looking at other vehicles, as the Jeep is likely not to be anywhere near as trouble-free to own over the same period.

The only jeep I would own is the two door, 4 cyl, manual trans soft top variety that has stood the test of time. I have seen many GCs broken down and junked. There is one across the street at present and the guy hates it.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM

304 posts, read 1,021,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
If you have deduced this much from asking a question on a forum and reading answers you wasted yours and other's time. If you have the disposable income it should be a no brainer.

I had two other thoughts...
You don't own a competent set of tools and have never turned many wrenches in your life.
You are a democrat.
OK I'm sorry if I wasted yours and others time! Regarding income, I don't like to think of any as "disposable," I want my money to be well spent whether it's a car, house, etc. so just because I can doesn't mean I always should.

Like I've said, I TRULY appreciate everyone's comments as they have helped point out pros and cons of fixing vs. buying new/used that I may not have considered originally.

And let's just say you're batting 0.500 in regards to your other thoughts...

Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 15,604 times
Your cheapest route is to still drive the Camry. You've invested this much money into it already. I would look into finding a new mechanic $3000 seems a little steep for what he's doing. The new car is tempting but realistically you're going to spend a lot more on the Jeep than the amount maintenance costs you with the Camry.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,228,423 times
Friend whatever you do look for a less expensive mechanic.Sounds like you are being "milked"

Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 AM

613 posts, read 950,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
OK, here's my dilemma:

Wife took in her 2001 Camry (~140,000 miles) for an oil change and our mechanic pointed out that all 4 tires are basically done with tread life so they'll need to be replaced plus alignment etc. (I don't dispute this). There is also a power steering leak (acknowledged), additional rack and pinion maintenance, both front struts need replacing, and a few other items that may or may not need attention now but will need to be addressed to pass safety inspection next June. All this, including labor, is a bit over $3K, probably around what the car is worth.

The last two years we've spent $1.5K to $2K per year fixing other things (engine mounts, brakes, leaks, etc.) thinking that we'd be somewhat "in the clear" in terms of heavy maintenance but it just seems to come more frequently now. Granted, a lot of this work has to do with my wife not addressing some of these items while she was away in Oregon for 5 years (basically just oil changes all that time).

Anyways, as much of a "drive it till the wheels fall off" mentality I have, it is painful to have maintenance costs exceed the car's value with no guarantee that new problems won't arise year after year.

We are contemplating a new vehicle instead, and really like the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee as we do a fair amount of outdoor activities and will have kids soon and want a safe and reliable vehicle with room.
I know I'l spend 1.5 to 2 times the maintenance costs (at least) on a new car down payment plus the monthly payments after that so that is something I'll have to consider. We would hope to buy towards the end of the year for better deals as dealers clear inventory for the 2014 models arriving.

So am I being a quitter by giving up on this 12 year old car and "wasting" my money on a new one? What would you do?
As far as your "drive it till the wheels fall off mentality", by my thinking, you've just about done that already. Spending $1.5K to $2K to $3K a year keeping a Camry going would depress the He*ll out of me. And do you want to be dealing with the (it sounds like) endless repairs after you have kids, & all that that entails?

I knew a guy who did that with his '97 Accord. Spent $1.5K to $2K to $3K a year on repairs the last few years he owned it. (The thing was awful by then, the A/C didn't work, etc.). Now this guy was a lawyer who lived in a Mansion, by some people's standards, in a very expensive suburb. But claimed he couldn't afford even a new CR-V. (??)

It took the '97 Accord breaking down late at night with his wife & daughter about 60 miles from home to resolve the situation......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram