Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 05:27 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Hey, you know what 'Jeep' stands for don't you?

Junk, Each & Every Part

I have four Jeeps, two Cherokee Sports, a Liberty, and a Grand Cherokee. All have well over 100k on them, one of the Sports has more than 250k.

The worst problem with the 250k Sport was a failing crank sensor, which was difficult to diagnose due to it being intermittent, it has also been through a couple of starters, but it was bought as an $800 beater (and it *has* been beat on) and despite an almost total lack of PM (including no oil/filter changes) the motor is still strong.

There have been some front wheel bearing/hub replacements, but that is to be expected for the mileage. The Liberty needed a clutch slave cylinder, a U-joint, and, more recently, a fuel pump.

The Sports have some well-known quirks with the electric window controls and door locks, and are known for having poor heat.

The Jeeps have all had fewer problems than any other vehicles I have owned (and in 50 years of vehicle ownership, I've been through quite a few).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 05:58 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Look for your fellow Ozzie John Cadogan's YouTube channel ("autoexperts.com/au" I think), and see what he says about Jeeps, especially in Australia. Hint - it ain't good. The problem isn't even so much the risk you take of getting a poorly engineered and assembled vehicle, his biggest rant is FCA's "Hugely poor culture of customer service" (paraphrased). Meaning, not only do they sell an inferior product, they don't stand behind it, at least in Australia. The odds of getting a lemon and inadequate support is just too large when so many other products are available, in his opinion. For a laugh, look on YouTube for "Teggy - I bought a lemon jeep", for some Australia first-hand experience.

On the other hand, FCA has some innovative features in their vehicles that many customers love. I personally have a seven-year old Caravan that has been mostly trouble-free all the time I've owned it, and it fulfills its mission very well. But at 70,000 miles, I'm seeing a lot more rattles and bumps in the suspension that I would expect, I would have hoped it to be in better condition with that few miles on it. Should I have got the Toyota equivalent? I would have had to spend five grand more at purchase, so the jury's still out on that. I'm going to keep it until it sharts the bed, and if it happens before I think it should (I do service per the manual), I won't buy another FCA product. If it stays reliable over 100K, I may give them repeat business, we'll see how it holds up.

On a side note, Good on the Folks Down Under, especially for the brotherhood your countries (can't forget NZ) displayed in WWII. I've been watching many "Drachinifel" videos lately, and just saw the one on the HMAS Sydney, my hat is still over my heart from that one. Hope to visit your beautiful country one day.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:08 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:

Junk, Each & Every Part

Just Empty Every Pocket. o|||||||o

Old 11-05-2019, 06:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
As we wander off to mnemonics, here are a few traditional ones:

FORD Found On Road Dead

FORD First On Race Day

CHEVROLET Cheap Heap, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time

Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:

Junk, Each & Every Part

IDK about that, Ive rarely heard of anyone having major problems with their Jeeps. heck, its one of the few brands that actually retain and sometimes increase in value(CJ, Wrangler).

Old 11-06-2019, 03:38 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
IDK about that, Ive rarely heard of anyone having major problems with their Jeeps. heck, its one of the few brands that actually retain and sometimes increase in value(CJ, Wrangler).
Yep, my wife's BFF put over 350,000 miles on theirs without any major problems.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:02 AM

818 posts, read 456,507 times
Haaaa, l want one like your wifes
Does seem if you get a good one you get a good one but look out if you don't.

Been reading through here and around on the net , Aussies stuff mainly apart from because if you get a dud then they're the prices and crap l'd have to deal with. Hmmm, lotta ugly and very expensive stories going round.
But it's the same as here some swear by them others at them .

Ps , thanks Curly nice of you to say mate, cheers.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:12 AM

818 posts, read 456,507 times
Really like the wrangler 4 door actually but l suppose similar years would have all the same motors trans and gear as the Commander , do they ?

Old 11-11-2019, 11:47 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
In a little over a year and 20,000 miles I put on my Jeep the only thing I had an issue with was a brake light switch under the dash. It was a $10 fix and took more time running to the parts store than anything. Once I diagnosed the fix it didn't take any tools to repair.

Sure, the fit and finish could be better on some models. In some ways it is spartan, if I were to pony up for a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee that would vanish.

I would like to have either Cherokee or Grand Cherokee for more room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram