Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I tow 10-12K regularly... my Excursion with the 7.3 is very economical to operate. You'd call me a liar if I gave you my numbers.
Not necessary- I’m sure your older rig is cheap. I do know the numbers from friends that own newer diesels and have had repair work, clogged egr’s, ad naseum. And their mpg is nothing to shout about either. They’re not close to my old rig that got 18mpg whether unladen, towing or loaded.

Plus I remember how much my oil changes, Wix filters etc cost. It was spendy. If I towed regularly I’d consider a diesel (an older model), but since I don’t tow more than 10k and only occasionally tug the RV- well I like the simplicity of a gasser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Your link is a 2007 24v CTD 4x4 auto tranny.

Should be great for your application. (Towing in Mtns)

Might need a performance tranny kit and consider adding an exhaust brake with tranny mode for serious MTN towing.

Your choice of 4x4 should allow for fewer front end suspension expenses.

I use 12v Cummins 1st Gen 89-93. They are good for a million miles. If they ever die, it will be due to Dodge cab quality. I will drop a vintage Ford cab on the chassis, and keep driving.

The golden version (highly desired) is 1997.5 to 1998.5 12v club cab, 3500 dually 4x4, manual tranny. They sell for $15k with 400,000 miles. Just the final yr of 12v, no electronics, free power modes to 400 HP. Robust, will work HARD forever.

I tow 38000-40000# daily in Mtns.
Backhoe, dozer, excavator....

I swapped in a 13spd Roadranger tranny and exhaust brake. That should cover my gear needs.
Wish I had Air Brakes. Will probably add hydro-boost to brakes. Already swapped to rear disc.
Thank you!

Old 12-11-2019, 06:50 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Not necessary- I’m sure your older rig is cheap. I do know the numbers from friends that own newer diesels and have had repair work, clogged egr’s, ad naseum. And their mpg is nothing to shout about either. They’re not close to my old rig that got 18mpg whether unladen, towing or loaded.

Plus I remember how much my oil changes, Wix filters etc cost. It was spendy. If I towed regularly I’d consider a diesel (an older model), but since I don’t tow more than 10k and only occasionally tug the RV- well I like the simplicity of a gasser.
I manage the oil changes by using a Amsoil by pass filtering system. I have/had Blackstone labs do my oil analysis, last time was at 12K miles on the oil, still fine. I'm comfortable with oil changes 10-12K at this point. The by pass filter is expensive ($45), but only needs replacing every 25K.

I am interested in Ford's new 7.3 Gas engine coming out.... but when we talk $70k for a new truck, I tend to lean towards continued upgrades to my older truck.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I manage the oil changes by using a Amsoil by pass filtering system. I have/had Blackstone labs do my oil analysis, last time was at 12K miles on the oil, still fine. I'm comfortable with oil changes 10-12K at this point. The by pass filter is expensive ($45), but only needs replacing every 25K.

I am interested in Ford's new 7.3 Gas engine coming out.... but when we talk $70k for a new truck, I tend to lean towards continued upgrades to my older truck.
I know it's insane. I bought my 2016 Chevy in July. 4x4, LTZ with the extended cab (no crew cab) 8'bed. I paid $38,000 for it with 20,000 miles on it. I owned my old 1500 so I traded it in and paid the rest in cash.

In fact the dealer still has my old truck on the lot-

https://www.courtesymotorsmt.com/vdp...stown-MT-59457

There's no way I'm paying over $50K for any truck. No way.. Like I said if I need a diesel- I'd find the right year before DEF and the EGR crap and buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram