Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I beg difference with those who encourage you to buy in some area of the city with a dubious reputation, no matter how good the deal. Stick to the area around Hyde Park, either a high-rise condo rental or one of the many 4-to-8 family apartments. Great commute to the city. Give yourself some time to become familiar with the surroundings before deciding to buy anything.
Agreed! No one from out of town should launch into a North Avondale mansion with crime rampant there, nowhere to shop, walk, or play. And, these days, who wants to sign up for the $1000/mo heating and a/c bills of a 5000 foot palace. Even renters should steer clear of these sketchy places like Avondale, Northside, and Price Hill since it is best to have a good feel of the neighborhood BEFORE living there. I would much rather live in Norwood, Hartwell, or Fairfax if price was an issue. But for the money the OP has quoted, HP will be no problem.

I say neighborhood first, house or apartment selection second.

In Hyde Park, a newcomer will be able to stroll down to the Square, window shop, eat in one of the 32 restaurants within walking distance (we counted them) or just hang out.

I'd be comfortable drifting off to sleep on a park bench in the Square at midnight on a Friday night and knowing I would wake up with my wallet still in my pocket (not that I could stay up that late). But the point is that the OP has chosen the right place, he just needs to find digs he can live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:35 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I'd be comfortable drifting off to sleep on a park bench in the Square at midnight on a Friday night and knowing I would wake up with my wallet still in my pocket (not that I could stay up that late). But the point is that the OP has chosen the right place, he just needs to find digs he can live with.
There's crime in Hyde Park, so you might want to rethink that sleeping on a bench thing. I'd urge the OP to rent for as long as it takes for them to feel they know Cincinnati by exploring its neighborhoods.

Purchasing a home, even in the Hyde Park area, could turn out to be a mistake for them. Hubby and I thought we had our sights set on Clifton, Hyde Park or Mt. Lookout--and I wasn't even exactly a newcomer, having grown up here. Now every time we visit one of those areas we remark how relieved we are we bought elsewhere.

As big a fraidy-cat as I am, I'd feel comfortable living in parts of North Avondale. We almost bought there, too, and with the ever-rising costs of energy and our ever-shrinking investment portfolio, we're relieved we didn't. I'm not sure one of those big old houses is the thing for empty-nesters of any age. Buy 'em only if you need the space.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Agreed! No one from out of town should launch into a North Avondale mansion with crime rampant there, nowhere to shop, walk, or play. And, these days, who wants to sign up for the $1000/mo heating and a/c bills of a 5000 foot palace. Even renters should steer clear of these sketchy places like Avondale, Northside, and Price Hill since it is best to have a good feel of the neighborhood BEFORE living there. I would much rather live in Norwood, Hartwell, or Fairfax if price was an issue. But for the money the OP has quoted, HP will be no problem.

I say neighborhood first, house or apartment selection second.

In Hyde Park, a newcomer will be able to stroll down to the Square, window shop, eat in one of the 32 restaurants within walking distance (we counted them) or just hang out.

I totally agree with your approach. Anyone unfamiliar with this city needs to give themselves the opportunity to become familiar with and decide what area best fits their personal desires. Mt. Adams or an OTR penthouse may fit some, but it is certainly not me. Cincy (yes I use the y) has a lot to offer, but it takes time to identify just where.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 13,048 times
This is very helpful! Thanks for all the insights on the areas. Just visited today. Liked Hyde Park, Mt. Overlook and Mt. Adams. I will be working downtown so all these areas work. I still didn't find any specific condo/apts that fit but loved the areas. Also looked in Newport and liked what they have done there on the river.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:07 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtocincy View Post
This is very helpful! Thanks for all the insights on the areas. Just visited today. Liked Hyde Park, Mt. Overlook and Mt. Adams. I will be working downtown so all these areas work. I still didn't find any specific condo/apts that fit but loved the areas. Also looked in Newport and liked what they have done there on the river.
Great to hear you are looking around. This city varies considerably in relatively short distances. I am sure you will find something which meets your needs. And oh BTW Welcome to Cincinnati!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:30 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
it's worth mentioning that you can live downtown in the price range you specified. garfield place, shiloto (spelling?) lofts, one lytle place, there are a bunch of choices and those are a few of the managed properties. downtown has tons of young professionals and lots to do, plus no real commute to work. it is worth checking out.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:14 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
I rented a 1BR apartment for $700-something from Alaise Realty in an older building on Hyde Park square. The entrances look like Egyptian revival architecture, and there is one each on Edwards Rd. and Erie Ave. My 3rd-floor bedroom window looked right out at the fountain on the square. The building had a lot of antique charm, including high ceilings, but it also had the inconveniences of an antique elevator, lots of dust, and ancient basement facilities.

The other thing I would note: there is an active fire station at one end of the square, so you will hear that often if you're living right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtocincy View Post

Old 06-26-2010, 09:20 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
I resoundingly second the motion to tour the areas on foot. Every time I pass through HP or Mt Lookout there are "For Rent" signs in front of literally dozens of apartment/condo buildings of every description. This is due to the transiency of those communities' renters and has nothing to do with safety or demographic upheaval. (With any luck, the ugly days of the latter in Cincinnati are mostly behind us.)
Nowhere has the OP mentioned making a home purchase, so hopefully we can pull away from that tangent.
One of the newer/"emerging" neighborhoods in Cincinnati is wedged between Mt Adams and the river. It consists of large apt/condo clusters, with one complex bearing the name Adams Landing. Talk about being within walking distance of everything! (Well...maybe not heavy-duty grocery shopping.)
I don't think it's heretical to talk about NKY, it's just that enjoying the view only goes so far. There's nothing much to recommend there except for that, beyond Newport on the Levee + "Mainstrasse" + the yuppified blocks of Greenup St + a stretch of Pike St which is undergoing a pleasing sort of gentrifying-yet-funky transformation. An apt comparison would be to New York City, where you can either dwell close to everything on the East Side of Manhattan or gaze upon it from the neighborhoods on the Brooklyn/Queens waterfront.
No one's mentioned which Cincy 'hood out of the OP's choices would be best for the household canine. For dog-friendliness I favor Mt Lookout hands (paws?) down. Hyde Park's traffic arteries are closer together, and Mt Adams itself is wanting for green space although Eden Park is adjacent. In Mt Lookout you'd have large sections of streets to roam without encountering a major thoroughfare, plus the resplendent Ault Park.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I resoundingly second the motion to tour the areas on foot. Every time I pass through HP or Mt Lookout there are "For Rent" signs in front of literally dozens of apartment/condo buildings of every description. This is due to the transiency of those communities' renters and has nothing to do with safety or demographic upheaval. (With any luck, the ugly days of the latter in Cincinnati are mostly behind us.)
Nowhere has the OP mentioned making a home purchase, so hopefully we can pull away from that tangent.
One of the newer/"emerging" neighborhoods in Cincinnati is wedged between Mt Adams and the river. It consists of large apt/condo clusters, with one complex bearing the name Adams Landing. Talk about being within walking distance of everything! (Well...maybe not heavy-duty grocery shopping.)
I don't think it's heretical to talk about NKY, it's just that enjoying the view only goes so far. There's nothing much to recommend there except for that, beyond Newport on the Levee + "Mainstrasse" + the yuppified blocks of Greenup St + a stretch of Pike St which is undergoing a pleasing sort of gentrifying-yet-funky transformation. An apt comparison would be to New York City, where you can either dwell close to everything on the East Side of Manhattan or gaze upon it from the neighborhoods on the Brooklyn/Queens waterfront.
No one's mentioned which Cincy 'hood out of the OP's choices would be best for the household canine. For dog-friendliness I favor Mt Lookout hands (paws?) down. Hyde Park's traffic arteries are closer together, and Mt Adams itself is wanting for green space although Eden Park is adjacent. In Mt Lookout you'd have large sections of streets to roam without encountering a major thoroughfare, plus the resplendent Ault Park.
Plus, two dog parks. Otto Armleder immediately to the East of Mt. Lookout in Linwood and the pay dog park in Newtown. Wags Park, I think.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:03 PM

94 posts, read 240,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I beg difference with those who encourage you to buy in some area of the city with a dubious reputation, no matter how good the deal. Stick to the area around Hyde Park, either a high-rise condo rental or one of the many 4-to-8 family apartments. Great commute to the city. Give yourself some time to become familiar with the surroundings before deciding to buy anything.
Have you ever been to North Avondale? I'd bet not. Why don't you take a gander on realtor.com and find a house for $250k, then head to street view in Avondale. You'd be quite amazed how beautiful of an area this "dubious" neighborhood is.

When I moved to Cincinnati it was amazing how many people told me about the "dubious" areas of Cincinnati without having ever been in the neighborhood.

I wouldn't suggest to OP to buy without having lived here first though.

However, it sounds like he's been told about the neighborhoods that Cincinnatians as a whole "approve" of. Which aren't always the best neighborhoods for every single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati