Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 AM

13 posts, read 16,437 times

Advertisements

We will soon be moving from California to the Mason area for a job. We have two children in elementary school so we would like to find a good school district and also a nice friendly community. I understand that Mason has wonderful schools. What are the neighboring towns like? I'm really looking forward to the change but its difficult to move into an area you know very little about and make good decisions. I welcome any feedback regarding Mason and any other towns nearby that we should consider. Is there anything we should know to avoid or make sure we focus on?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Mason itself is very nice. If I were working up there, I would choose something on a smaller lot near the center of town to go for that small town feel. But that is just my preference. Tell us what kind of neighborhood you are looking for and your tastes in housing. Hopefully KJBrill chimes in, he is very familiar with the area.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 AM

Small town feel sounds very nice. We still trying to figure out what size lot we want. My husband is from mid west and after being in CA, where it gets very crowded and expensive, he would love to have some land again but we'll see how much he feels we need. We were thinking of spending about $300,000. We have a 5 year old and an 8 year old so I would like neighborhood the kids can enjoy. I like to walk rather than drive so near town sounds worth considering. Does that help?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM

I don't think you'll have any problem finding exactly what you want in that price range. The biggest decision you'll have to make is walkability versus amount of land. I don't think any of it will seem "crowded" by CA standards though.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 AM

Yes, you have a good point! The "small" lots in Mason would be considered big or even huge in some parts of CA. I think my biggest hope is to find a nice sense of community along with neighborhood parks, trees, and good schools. Do you have any recommendations for specific areas in Mason or other townships we should explore nearby? I feel like we have to make our choice quickly so we can get the kids settled before school begins again so any advice is welcome.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
From what you indicate there are quite a few choices available. As you may already know, the Mason schools are clustered on Mason Montgomery Rd, between Tylersville and Route 42 (Main St.), with the exception of the elementaries which are spread further out into the community. Behind the Junior and High Schools are two of the city's primary parks connecting the property together. Adjacent to the High School is the Community Center and across the street the Munincipal Building.

Beginning right there, going east from the junior school along Tylersville towards I-71 is quite a selection of property in subdivisions on both sides, varying in both age and price.

Other close school districts with good ratings are Kings Local (to the east) and Lakota Local (to the west in Butler Co.)

But if you are going to work in Mason (you mentioned near), then I would consider living in Mason. My former company, Makino, moved to Mason in the early 80s. I ended up less than 1-1/2 miles from the office/factory, how sweet it was. Live where you work and work where you live has become my motto. Let everyone else worry about commute time, etc.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 PM

KJ can you tell us a little bit about the neighborhood in the "old town" part of mason -- where the streets are a basic grid?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 PM

KJ - That sounds like great advice. No commute time is a wonderful thing. If you have any recommendations for a good and also patient realtor, I'm open for suggestions.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 AM

209 posts, read 502,998 times
Mason is a nice town. We moved from there and would move back given any opportunity. There is shopping there around Deerfield Town Center as well. Water's Edge and White Blossom are great neighborhoods that have some very nice homes in the price range your looking at as well. Lot size well from 1/4 - almost 1/2 acre lots in both developments. Mason schools are some of the best in Ohio as well and have great sports programs.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
KJ can you tell us a little bit about the neighborhood in the "old town" part of mason -- where the streets are a basic grid?
The Old part of Mason is actually quite small, a block or two in either direction from Main St (Actually Route 42). There is quite a mix of property there, most maintained well, even the very small ones.

To the southwest of the center is a section called the Meadows. This was basically constructed as housing for returning vets after WWII. The houses are modest, single floor ranches. Most have been kept up surprisingly well, as they are very affordable.

The first significant residential expansion in Mason was to the east of downtown off of Kings Mills Rd. The development was called the Heights, probably due to the fact it is on the highest point of land in the area. I believe it is more than coincidential this took hold in the same time frame the development of Kings Island was announced, circa 1970. I have lived in this area since 1976, house constructed 1972. In the beginning, my children could go to the back of our lot and pet the cattle at the corner fence.

In the last two decades, Mason has absolutely exploded. A once sleepy little farming community became one of the fastest growing suburban areas in the state. But there are good reasons:
  • Close proximity to both I-71 and I-75, and commute to the City. It is further than I would desire, but doable.
  • Like thinking people who desire, No I would say Demand good schools and are willing to pay for it.
  • A local government which has encouraged business development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati