Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 28,567 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recall a murder in the mid to late 1960's where a girl(maybe high school age) from the Roselawn neighborhood was killed? I don't recall if this was related to the Cincinnati strangler or not. I grew up there and vaughly remember this incident having a great impact on the neighborhood families of that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:17 PM

526 posts, read 1,481,529 times
I do not but I doubt that it was the Cincinnati strangler because his victims were all elderly women.

When I read the title of this thread, I assumed it was about the Brinker murder which is of more than passing interest for me since I live about 5 blocks from the scene of the crime.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,618 times
Default Bricca?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
When I read the title of this thread, I assumed it was about the Brinker murder which is of more than passing interest for me since I live about 5 blocks from the scene of the crime.
There was a murder in Bridgetown, maybe 1967, involving a family of three named Bricca. Is that the same crime? I seem to recall that the police had a suspect, but very little evidence.

Do not recall a Roselawn murder from that general time period. Posteal Laskey, widely assumed responsible for the stranglings, was arrested maybe summer of 1966. He was only charged with one murder, name was something like Barbara Bowman, but I thought that was in Price Hill.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Maybe the new book "Queen City Gothic" has a chapter that'd shed some light. It's been touted by at least one plant - ahem, contributor - in this forum.
I don't recall any notorious murder in Roselawn during the '60s, but someone who'd been released from what was once called "Longview State Hospital" last fall was still hearing voices commanding him to stab women. That's just what he did, to a 93-year-old lady out for a walk at sunset. The neighborhood may have "changed" over the last four decades but there was quite an uproar nonetheless.
Barbara Bowman I remember only because she had an unrelated namesake who went to school with me, who had to put up with people trying to be funny and saying stuff like "I thought you were killed" for some time. MC is right, that murder took place in Price Hill but the perpetrator had driven her there. She'd had a room at the former Anna Louise Inn by Lytle Park downtown. I also recollect that the last victim who died by the same MO had the surname Scales and was murdered on Cleinview Ave in what's now commonly known as East Walnut Hills. There must've been about five other incidents in between, but memory escapes me. (Although I had yet to reach age ten I was all over the Enquirer every day, lol.) What sticks in my brain also is how absolutely terrified women all over the city were while this was going on. Stores couldn't keep floodlights in stock, and there was a waiting list at pet shops and animal shelters for guard dogs. Locksmiths also did a booming business. All of this may or may not have been the doing of Mr Laskey (Ms Scales met her end after he was in custody), but it was definitely the doing of a Boston Strangler copycat.
A year or two ago, Cincinnati Magazine had a big feature article on the Bricca homicides. It must've been to mark the anniversary of when they took place.
The other unresolved case that comes to mind immediately is the Dumler (sp?) family murders in Mt Lookout. The husband and wife were slain, as were perhaps the two children. This, too, was around 1970.
Let's talk about death, bay-bee!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 50,641 times
I remeber her she was my neighbor and friend in Roselawn. Cheryl Segal.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 28,567 times
Was this a ramdom killing or Cincinnati Strangler related?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 50,641 times
No

Old 07-31-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
There was a murder in Bridgetown, maybe 1967, involving a family of three named Bricca. Is that the same crime? I seem to recall that the police had a suspect, but very little evidence.

You are correct -- that was the one I was thinking about. I pass by the house almost daily - it still creeps me out.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyC View Post
No
LibbyC you are a person of few words! I have lived in Cincinnati my entire life but cannot place this particular incident. Can you provide any additional details?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 13,814 times
Default murder in roselawn

Yes. This was my aunt. she was killed when she was hitch hiking home with a friend from a concert. Not sure of the details because the family does not talk about it. My dad is her brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati