Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 35,089 times

Advertisements

What are some good liberal, artsy, outdoor oriented areas of Cincinnati? I'm looking to live in area that is walkable, and also safe for biking. I also want to live near other 'green' minded individuals, near parks, and near granola-centric stores. Several people have suggested looking into Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, Hyde Park,Clifton, Columbia-Tusculum, and Northside. Some have also said these are yuppie areas, so I do not know what to believe.

Any insight from current residents of these areas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,642,906 times
I am a big fan of Hyde Park. Try looking into Mount Adams as well. You can't beat those Cincy skyline views.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,547,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie-NH View Post
What are some good liberal, artsy, outdoor oriented areas of Cincinnati? I'm looking to live in area that is walkable, and also safe for biking. I also want to live near other 'green' minded individuals, near parks, and near granola-centric stores. Several people have suggested looking into Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, Hyde Park,Clifton, Columbia-Tusculum, and Northside. Some have also said these are yuppie areas, so I do not know what to believe.

Any insight from current residents of these areas would be greatly appreciated.
Hyde Park and Oakley are not granola at all...more yuppie. Columbia-Tusculum, maybe a little. Clifton definitely, given its proximity to University of Cincinnati, and you will find the largest concentration of the stores you mentioned (although still not that many). Pleasant Ridge, a little. Northside is probably the most homogeneous in terms of the granola population, but has the least of the other things you are looking for (except maybe restaurants). Having just got back from a trip to Portland, OR and the Columbia River Gorge, I really was "culture shocked" in a way with all of the green lifestyle stuff out there. We have some in Cincinnati, but nothing like out in the Pac NW.

Also, with a wife who is really into cycling, this is a tough town to do it in, unless you happen to live close to the Loveland Bike Trail or similar resource. The roads aren't built for it, and you really have to watch yourself in traffic. The city has plans in the works to increase the bike friendliness, but we have a long way to go.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM

269 posts, read 780,118 times
Lol. I don't know who suggested Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, Hyde Park, and to a lesser extent, Columbia-Tusculum as 'granola.' If you're looking for a Massachusetts, Vermont, or Maine type of granola, there aren't many options in Cincinnati. The neighborhoods mentioned are somewhat liberal, but the only two you could possibly classify as granola are Northside and Clifton.

Speaking as a cyclist, and as t45209 has mentioned, I do not recommend cycling in the city. For one, the terrain can make for a strenuous and exasperating bike ride. If I want to ride for leisure, I usually take my bike to the Little Miami Bike Trail or the bike trails in Dayton. Dayton is actually miles ahead of us in being bike friendly.

I've almost been hit several times while riding in the city, mainly from drivers texting and not paying attention. Since there is not much bike traffic in Cincinnati, people are generally not on the lookout for cyclists. I fell one time because an old lady ran a stop sign and I had to slam on brakes and I wasn't able to clip my cleats out in time. She was nice enough to get out and see if I was okay though.

Also, there are not even cycling lanes downtown, which there is no excuse for since downtown is flat. Each time I take my bike out on the road in traffic, I always have the thought flowing in the back of my mind that I may get hit by a car (yeah, I know it sounds stupid and bad). Ironically, with all the aggressive drivers in Chicago, I actually feel safe when riding in traffic there, and even in Cleveland or Columbus.

The only true granola places I know of in Ohio are Yellow Springs and Oberlin.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,987,939 times
I don't bike, but Northside is close to Mt. Airy Forest, which looks like it would provide ample opportunities.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,547,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I don't bike, but Northside is close to Mt. Airy Forest, which looks like it would provide ample opportunities.
Maybe some, but to many cyclists who are serious and want to go 25, 30, even 50 miles or more, Mt. Airy is like trying to bike in a roller rink. Besides, as High Mileage points out, the hills are a killer.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,952,991 times
I moved here from Colorado, so I definitely know what a granola neighborhood would be like. Cincinnati doesn't have any. Period. In Colorado we had food co-ops every three hundred feet and you couldn't walk down the street without tripping over a mountain bike or kayak.

But, that isn't to say we don't have a large population of liberal, open minded, green, artsy people. There just isn't necessarily that outdoor recreation mindset. Northside and Clifton are your best bets, although you will find biking opportunities pretty limited compared with many places. Hyde Park is anything but granola. I would call it stuffy, actually. The kind of place where people care if you drive an Audi or an Omni. Oakley isn't as bad but is going that direction. Columbia Tusculum maybe, but only in pockets. Pleasant Ridge is a progressive, friendly place that isn't stuffy but I don't think it is granola.

All that said, the most granola person I know lives and is very happy in Westwood.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,342,629 times
Price Hill, around the Imago Earth Center.

Imago Earth Center

I am not kidding.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,952,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Price Hill, around the Imago Earth Center.

Imago Earth Center

I am not kidding.
Oh you are absolutely right. I forgot about that pocket. They have their own CSA etc

Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 AM

682 posts, read 1,631,990 times
Except for the stores, you may have desribed my neighborhood of Knox Hill located between N&S Fairmount. We have St Clair Park a 19 acre nature preserve/park that overlooks the city and has some great trails. It is definitely an Urban pioneering neighborhood. You have residents who have lived here for 40 years, low income people just passing through and Young professionals and gay couples who are restoring. It is a very diverse neighborhood socially and economically. Architecturally it is everthing from small highly detailed cottages that literally hang on the hillside, to Grand 7000 square foot mansions. In fact we are working on a national historic district nomination for the area.

Its not at all unsual for me to see deer walking down my street in the morning or see an owl in one of my trees. My block has everything from an old couple who have lived here since 1950, a gay couple who moved here from Chicago, to my Neighbors who look like they just stepped out of the 1960's and are native plant gardeners and historic preservationist like myself.

We have some rain garden projects going on and are starting a urban gardening program here too. If you enter Knox Hill off Beekman on Knox , you head up a hill that seems to go on forever and once you crest that you head into a valley that looks like you are in the middle of nowhere. From that you head back up another hill into the main part of the neighborhood and the thing that strikes everyone who comes to visit is how quiet things are. You can go out the other side, Hop on Harrison and be downtown in a few minutes or head into Westwood or Mt Airy forest

Like I said its still urban pioneering up here not for everybody, but a lot of interesting people are moving in and you are close to downtown and Mt Airy. The area was originally established as weekend houses for the wealthy who went to the Schuetzen Verin which was a large German social club and shooting range club that sat on the hill overlooking the city where St Clair Park is today.

Worth checking out if you like peace and quiet and close to nature but not a healthfood store in sight,strictly residential but there are some plans by MSD to "daylight' Lick Run creek and create a new green watershed park and new streetscapes for Queen city and Westwood whcih will attract new business and you have the Mill creek project nearby too.

As for the neighborhood you mentioned Hyde Park/oakley area bit 'pretentious' some of the more expensive houses in the city. Columbia Tusculum has an interesting vibe , but it too is pricey, Northside is 'maybe' close to what you are looking for but its got that yuppie flair to it. Clifton, depends on where but I dont think its going to work for you.

Take some time and look around. Cincinnati has a lot to offer but depending on where you go you will trade off somethings you want to get others. I cant think of a neighborhood that offers all of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati