Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times

Advertisements

If we look at other midwestern cities, the neighborhoods adjacent to downtown have nearly all gentrified, most in the last ten or twenty years. I have to think the same outcome is inevitable in Cincinnati, particularly since we aren't fighting the massive population decline of places like Detroit or even Toledo.

I think the writing is on the wall for OTR. But what about West End and Pendleton? Or lower price hill? Who will be a part of the gentrification and who will never believe it happened, even for years after it has occurred? Would it be so bad for a neighborhood group to explicitly state their purpose as gentrification, or would it have to be hidden in language like increasing home ownership and beautifying the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I would bet on Eastern Ave. east of Collins.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:54 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,494 times
Default sayler park

I live in Sayler Park and wish it would happen here. I hate seeing how run-down some of the houses are.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
Dayton Street and the area around it will majorly take off in the next 3-5 years. Alreadya couple of 1/2 mill restorations over there

Parts of Westwood are already there and I predict the southern end will too.

Camp Washington is on its way

Lower Price Hill definitely will turn around

Incline District well on its way.

Knox Hill ( pocket neighborhood between N&S Fairmount) already starting and will be a State and Federal historic Distrioct by end of year.

South Fairmount (areas around Queen City and Westwood close to viaduct)

North Fairmount: Beekman, Carll and Baltimore will take off first then the other streets.

Brewerey district near Mohawk and Mcmicken

OTR well on its way.

WHY? Thanks to the real estate downturn many 'slumlords" have gone under and these houses are coming up at ridiculously low prices and they held some of the bigger, better, architecturally interestring homes.

Out of State people moving to Cincinnati who do not have the 'preconceived notions" that locals do and these neighborhoods are not a problem for them.

20 something suburban kids who hate the burbs they grew up in.

Section 8 IS moving to the burbs whether they want it or not.

I think the Obama administration will tighten the lead paint standards for "total abatement' not just painting over. When that happens thousands of properties will be out of the program.

People in Mt Adams, Columbia Tusculum and Walnut Hills will want to cash out as the property tax abatements run out on their hosues and they are faced with huge tax increases.

I might add I restored in Indy and I was in on just about every downtown neighborhood turnaround and Everyone was telling me back then I was crazy, So keep this post and lets review in 5 years.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I live in Sayler Park and wish it would happen here. I hate seeing how run-down some of the houses are.
Just looked at a house in Sayler Park and thought the area was really quite nice. We saw first hand the activity of rehabbers in the area around the square and what a positive impact it had. Looked like a quaint, quiet, Mayberry-within-the-city...and as such we would have been bored to tears out there. Too far from everything, and nothing to do.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 PM

An area that should gentrify but likely never will is the little enclave of Riverside where Delhi Pike comes out onto River Rd. Talk about intact 19th century architecture! Public buildings like the firehouse, churches, residential, businesses...everything all clustered like a little town. The place has any other historic area beat hands down for lack of modern infill construction and diversity of building types and uses.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
An area that should gentrify but likely never will is the little enclave of Sedamsville where Delhi Pike comes out onto River Rd. Talk about intact 19th century architecture! Public buildings like the firehouse, churches, residential, businesses...everything all clustered like a little town. The place has any other historic area beat hands down for lack of modern infill construction and diversity of building types and uses.
Correction to above post.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
It seems like a number of you are predicting a large portion of the city to be gentrified. I think this is great, and hope you are right.

I have just one simple question. Where are all the jobs and incomes going to come from to support all of this?

Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
It seems like a number of you are predicting a large portion of the city to be gentrified. I think this is great, and hope you are right.

I have just one simple question. Where are all the jobs and incomes going to come from to support all of this?
Many of the people who restore old houses have their own business or work in fields where they can work from home. As those people move in and you start getting real activity businesses are attracted to the area. Other existing Businesses decide to stay and expand because they can attract a better qualiity of employee because the city has more to offer.

Bring in a better educated workforce which gentrified neighorhoods typically do and you have a better employee pool with more disposable income which they tend to spend creating more retail and service industry jobs (which Cincinnati sorely needs)

Heritage tourism is a big industry , no reason why OTR and Findlay Market can't be another Charleston or Savannah. Both of which have created thousands of jobs due to heritage tourism.

It would be nice if people visted Cincinanti for its architecture like they do in Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans and San Francisco. Insead of coming here to see a zoo and kings island.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Another area of job growth will be consolidation of current companies ... a good example of this is P&G bringing 600+ jobs to the Cincy region. There are thousands of employers that work for companies based in Cincinnati, but residing in cities throughout the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati