Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM

269 posts, read 779,165 times

Advertisements

I realize everyone is not 'speeder' like myself, but IMO, the police presence on I-71 can be a little excessive at times. There have been times, usually between 11:30a.m. to 1:00p.m., where I have seen up to eight cops (four on each side) patrolling the area between Exits 3 and 8.

I'm not complaining, although I did receive two speeding tickets in July, but it seems like the cops in Cincinnati worry about speeding a lot more compared to other cities.

On the other end of the spectrum, driving in Detroit on the freeway is practically like driving on the autobahn; no cops in sight whatsoever, and the flow of traffic going at least 80 MPH. They could benefit from a cop of two on the freeway, but I know they have more important issues to worry about.

The police here even use air patrol as a method of clocking speed. The last ticket I received, I did not see any cops so I decided to speed but little did I know that there was a helicopter clocking my speed. The cop accurately told I was going 83 MPH at Taft Rd. Now I feel like I've been reduced to a sheep behind the behind, with a cop holding his foot on my neck. Lol. But as I've said before, now I see why drivers here driver relatively slow, at least IMO.

I just wanted to know what are you guys' thoughts on traveling I-71 in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,516 times
I actually hate driving on the interstates through Cincinnati, so I avoid them as much as possible. Of course, I rarely go into the city anyway, but I digress. I had no idea 71 had become such a speed trap. It's been about a year since I was northbound on it, and I haven't been southbound on it in...sheesh, I don't know how long. I used to drive it all the time in the 80s and 90s.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
I drive like a maniac everywhere including on I71. I just watch for brake lights because speeding or not, as soon as people ahead see a cop they slam on their brakes.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 PM

269 posts, read 779,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I drive like a maniac everywhere including on I71. I just watch for brake lights because speeding or not, as soon as people ahead see a cop they slam on their brakes.
Yeah, I usually watch for brake lights too. The only problem, the two tickets I received, I was the idiot leading the herd of speeders. The one where the cop clocked me, I slammed on my brakes, but it was WELL too late, so I immediately just started moving to the shoulder. The cop was pretty cool about it though and he reduced it.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Yes, I've noticed that the police seem to be overly ambitious about catching speeders on our interstates. It's hard for me to believe that this is the best use of their time when I hear about shootings in the city so frequently, but what do I know?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM

436 posts, read 952,272 times
Cincinnati has a bad cop problem. The world does not need ticket writers. Fire these surplus governmental employees, and let's see a return to governmental fiscal austerity.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 AM

577 posts, read 1,281,328 times
There is an area on I-71 that is 55MPH. I believe it stretches from somewhere around Reading Road up to Stewart or Kenwood. I think most people have got used to going 65MPH+ and Cincinnati/Norwood/Highway Patrol take advantage of that.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
the ohio state highway patrol is notorious for writing a crazy amount of tickets. plus, we have a lot of small towns with budget issues, so the small town speed trap cop is also a staple in the state. in general, ohio is about the worst state i've ever driven through in terms of cop zealously.

i actually wouldn't mind all of the enforcement if our speed limits were higher. in Colorado, much of the interstate speed limit is 75. I think raising it here to 70 in most parts of the state would be a very good idea.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 AM

279 posts, read 718,301 times
This just made me think of something I was wondering one time. I heard someone ask once why cops don't hang out near bars around 2:30 when they're all closing up. Seems like a guarantee they'd bust people on DUIs and stuff, which I know are huge money makers for the cities, judges, lawyers, etc. Well the cop says its simply illegal to do it, which is why you never see it happen.

So to my thoughts...how is a cop sitting in little pockets on the highway any different? It's the same kind of "trap". And what really pisses me off is that its a blatant way to make more money to line some mother****ers pockets. There's really not even a hint of "Protect and Serve" in the action of busting a handful out of thousands of speeders. All they're doing is hitting up some poor schmo cuz he was flyin on his way to IKEA. Bull****.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,118 times
1) One more reason why Detroit is lawless and one of the worst cities in America
2) No one "likes" all the cops on 71 and i agree its excessive but if you dont want to be bothered then dont speed. I have never been pulled over and i go 72 through the 65 and 64 through the 55.
3) Ive seen other highway stretches that have much more police action than 71. This is needed because of speeders and i mean the abusive one (going 100 and dipping in and out of traffic). Without them we wouldnt see this as much.

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati