Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 PM

269 posts, read 779,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
There is not a single interstate in rural Ohio which is safe for 70 or 75 mph limits. Where have you been traveling? Simply look at the condition of the road and then tell me why you think it is safe for these speeds?

Many years ago, when I-70 was first completed, I drove from my house in Cincinnati to my uncle's in Pittsburgh, a distance of 300 miles, in 4 hours, or an average speed of 75 mph. The road was a ribbon - smooth as silk. My car was a 1966 Dodge Monaco, hardtop convertible, with a 385 hemi-chrysler-V8. That thing would just fly. But, most of the trip I never saw any other cars.

I think back about that (and yes I was speeding), but have to consider the differences in the roads, traffic volume, etc.
What makes you think Ohio's roadways are unsafe to drive on at 70 mph? Ohio's roads are actually some of the better freeways out there. Sure, some make look like hell with all the crack fill, but nonetheless they are fairly smooth. Rural I-71 is about as smooth as a track I drove on in MA. Yes, a race track with crack fill.

If you want something to feel unsafe on, try driving on I-10 in Louisiana. Ka-thunk, ka-thunk, ka-thunk was all I heard, along with the roller coaster sensation from the uneven, rippled ground. That was one of the few times I really and truly felt unsafe on a freeway, along with I-65 in Northern Indiana before it was repaved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
Actually, it's points ADDED to your license. Believe me, I know! Even though I speed sometimes, although usually not to the extent of driving 83 in a 55, I can agree speeders should be ticketed. Ohio's speeding fines are actually a lot less than other states, especially the southern states.

I remember back in high school, some friends and trailed each other all the way from Connecticut to Atlanta Motor Speedway for a 'drift' event/car show, back when drifting was popular. That was a LONG and jarring ride (especially in PA) being that my car had TEIN flex coil-overs. The S13 I had also had no AC and practically the whole inside was gutted. It was like driving a "go kart." Anyway, all seven of us were "cruising" at 81 mph and got pulled over on I-85 in Georgia received $201 tickets. My 83 in a 55 wasn't even that much here!

I really wish I could continue my automotive hobby, but I do not have the time nor the disposable income to continuously replace tires, drive train parts, suspension parts, etc.

One thing I do not do is speed in construction zones. I have a professor from college who hit and killed a construction worker, and now he's currently serving time in prison.

I also have a thing for DUI offenders being that I do not consume alcohol, plus losing a family to someone driving drunk.
I keep forgetting about the (points Added) part . I have a CDL, so under the new law we have 100 point that we start out with. And every time we (truck drivers) get a ticket whether its for a moving, none moving violation, or a log book violation, they deduct points off our license .

Ohio has been working on a new law for quite some time now. And in this law if a drunk driver kills a bread winner or the secondary bread winner of the household. All of the drunk driver assets are are frozen ie. bank accounts, bonds, investments to include their spouses investments, home & all other properties there in. Then they are liquidated at a large percentage rate and the money is given to the spouse of the diciest drunk drivers victim. And that's to include the lawsuit against the insurance company that they usually win. The only problem is, they've been dragging their feet on this one for years. There must be allot of (Drunk Drivers) working in the state capital.

I think they need to pass it soon. Who cares about the drunk drivers family, it's obvious that the drunk driver doesn't. So let them suffer even more, the victims family will be suffering for years to come.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I keep forgetting about the (points Added) part . I have a CDL, so under the new law we have 100 point that we start out with. And every time we (truck drivers) get a ticket whether its for a moving, none moving violation, or a log book violation, they deduct points off our license .

Ohio has been working on a new law for quite some time now. And in this law if a drunk driver kills a bread winner or the secondary bread winner of the household. All of the drunk driver assets are are frozen ie. bank accounts, bonds, investments to include their spouses investments, home & all other properties there in. Then they are liquidated at a large percentage rate and the money is given to the spouse of the diciest drunk drivers victim. And that's to include the lawsuit against the insurance company that they usually win. The only problem is, they've been dragging their feet on this one for years. There must be allot of (Drunk Drivers) working in the state capital.

I think they need to pass it soon. Who cares about the drunk drivers family, it's obvious that the drunk driver doesn't. So let them suffer even more, the victims family will be suffering for years to come.
That law sounds great. I'm all for it. I know a lot of people are against laws as such, saying it's nothing but a political move and things of the nature but I'm all for it.

Even when I was ticketed two times in July, I had absolutely no resentment for the cops that pulled me over and I still do not. I mean, why would I? I was the one driving like a maniac. I was expecting my tickets to be a lot more than what they were.

It's interesting reading you guys' perspectives from both sides on speeding. Frankly, as wild as I drove as a teen, I'm kind of surprised I was never involved in an accident. I have never been involved in any kind of accident during my ten short years of driving, and I don't want to press my luck and keep it that way!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:29 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,637 times
Well, today I made my first trip down I-71 south in years...all the way from I-275 through the city and on into Kentucky on my way to the airport. Suffice it to say, I hope I never have to do it again. I'm used to taking I-275 around the city through Indiana, and that's what I should have done, except that I thought it would be nice to see what the skyline looks like now that GAI tower is done...which, BTW, I wasn't as impressed with that view as I thought I would be. The tiara looks goofy without being enclosed. Plus, Cincinnati's skyline needs to expand to the north if it's going to start impressing me more, but I digress.

Anyway, the traffic was ridiculous. I can only imagine it had something to do with the game. That stupid Kenwood cut in the hill is as bad as ever, and I did indeed see several state troopers after I entered the city limits. Oh, BTW...when are they going to start trimming all the overgrowth along the interstates? It looks sloppy. And the overpasses need to be painted. The Brent Spence bridge was nerve-racking - good thing they are planning on replacing it, but I can't imagine why they want to retain that ugly behemoth for local traffic. And...I encountered a speeder in NKY who cut across 2 lanes in front of me, then had to hit his brakes. THOSE are the people that are out there causing accidents.

Suffice it to say, I refuse to drive that *BLEEP BLEEP* interstate anymore. I-75 through the city isn't any better. I'll take the long, scenic way around through western Hamilton County and Indiana...it saves my nerves.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,720,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
I'm used to taking I-275 around the city through Indiana, and that's what I should have done, except that I thought it would be nice to see what the skyline looks like now that GAI tower is done...which, BTW, I wasn't as impressed with that view as I thought I would be. The tiara looks goofy without being enclosed. Plus, Cincinnati's skyline needs to expand to the north if it's going to start impressing me more, but I digress.
I have a hard time believing that they would take yours or anyone else's opinion into consideration when determining where to build it.
Beside's they already owned that lot, I believe.

Quote:
... and I did indeed see several state troopers after I entered the city limits.
More than likely you were close, but not quite into city limits yet as most of the time you'll see city police on 71 and State Troopers just north if Cincy ... or unless you were going through Norwood, which is its own city.

Quote:
Oh, BTW...when are they going to start trimming all the overgrowth along the interstates? It looks sloppy. And the overpasses need to be painted.
This is silly ... this is like me having a schedule where I mow my lawn every Tuesday and us having rain 5 days out of a full week and you coming to me on Monday and say, "Cincy-Rise, what's the deal with your lawn, why don't you cut it?" ... I would then reply, "Moron, I cut it every Tuesday right on schedule ... just because we've had ridiculous humidity levels and tons of rain doesn't mean I will shift my grass-cutting schedule around."

... you see?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:05 PM

50 posts, read 178,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
This is silly ... this is like me having a schedule where I mow my lawn every Tuesday and us having rain 5 days out of a full week and you coming to me on Monday and say, "Cincy-Rise, what's the deal with your lawn, why don't you cut it?" ... I would then reply, "Moron, I cut it every Tuesday right on schedule ... just because we've had ridiculous humidity levels and tons of rain doesn't mean I will shift my grass-cutting schedule around."

... you see?
Lol. You come up with some of the worst analogies

Old 08-16-2010, 06:42 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,720,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan06 View Post
Lol. You come up with some of the worst analogies
It's true though ... no denying that! Sometimes I have the same feeling as if have to hand someone a coloring book and a box of crayons, but before I give it to them I create a legend with A) = blue, B) = red, etc. and then right the letters in each of the separated shapes on the page.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,637 times
Quote:
I have a hard time believing that they would take yours or anyone else's opinion into consideration when determining where to build it.
Beside's they already owned that lot, I believe.
No no no, Cincy-Rise...I wasn't inferring they should have built GAI Tower somewhere else. I just said I wasn't as impressed by the view as I was thinking I might be. It's supposed to be taller than Carew Tower, so I had it in my mind that it would look much taller than it does from that section of I-71 as you approach the Reading Road exit. It's also too wide...that's a huge building. If they enclosed the tiara, it would probably look better. But when I said I think they should expand the skyline farther north, I meant just that....it would be nice to see it start spreading out. Looks too clumped together in some places.

Quote:
More than likely you were close, but not quite into city limits yet as most of the time you'll see city police on 71 and State Troopers just north if Cincy ... or unless you were going through Norwood, which is its own city.
Well, I know I was in the city limits because I took note of that while driving along. BUT...my bad...I shouldn't have insert the word "state" before "troopers" in my comment. The point was that I concurred with what people said previously in this thread about there being a number of cops along that stretch of I-71....which is a good thing, I guess. Helps people stay within the speed limit.

Quote:

... you see?
Yes, I see you're upset because I pointed out the obvious. I'm not talking about mowing the grass along the interstates, which was done. I'm talking about the cluttered look of intertwined bushes, vines and weeds. Why don't they cut all that junk down? It has nothing to do with the amount of rain we've had, unless you think the scraggly bushes and weeds can jump up by 3 feet in the course of a week. I might add that I went driving through the city back in June, and the overgrowth was there just as much as it is now. Sorry, Cincy-Rise...it looks sloppy. The growth isn't just along the city's portion of I-71, although I don't seem to notice it as much along I-275, or over in Northern Kentucky. But just so you don't think I'm trying to attack Cincinnati, I will also note that I saw a nicely cleared out area at the entrace ramp from Montgomery Road as I was approaching the Victory Pkwy underpass.

And I notice you didn't comment about how the overpasses need to be painted. (Maybe you should create that coloring book, complete with a legend, and hand it to the DOT, huh? ) They look rusted in places (it's not that funky burnt-orange paint color), and that's not just along the interstates, either. I've recently been along the 6th Street viaduct in Lower Price Hill where it goes down to River Road, and that thing scared me because it was so rusted out! Outside of the city limits, I rarely see as much rust and graffiti on highway overpasses as I do within the city. It doesn't exactly say "Welcome to Cincinnati - a clean, progressive city."

Last edited by shyspider; 08-16-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 AM

279 posts, read 718,414 times
Quote:
It doesn't exactly say "Welcome to Cincinnati - a clean, progressive city."
Yeah I just kinda figure it says, "We have a 50 million dollar budget deficit so we don't give a damn about painting bridges right now."

Old 08-16-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
No no no, Cincy-Rise...I wasn't inferring they should have built GAI Tower somewhere else. I just said I wasn't as impressed by the view as I was thinking I might be. It's supposed to be taller than Carew Tower, so I had it in my mind that it would look much taller than it does from that section of I-71 as you approach the Reading Road exit. It's also too wide...that's a huge building. If they enclosed the tiara, it would probably look better. But when I said I think they should expand the skyline farther north, I meant just that....it would be nice to see it start spreading out. Looks too clumped together in some places.
I know some may not want to hear the critical sentiments of Great American Tower but I agree with your opinions for the most part. I think it would look better if it were taller and slimmer.

I was talking to some people about the tiara and I basically said, "yeah, once they finish it, it will really look good." They looked at me with a confused look wondering what did I mean by 'finish.' I thought there was going to be more done to it. maybe enclose it or something. It just has an incomplete look IMO. I'll just have to wait and see what it looks like once the GAI logo and lights are put into place. I'm also not sure if a crwon representing the Queen City will be the first thing that comes to mind when visitors look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati