Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:40 AM

577 posts, read 1,281,328 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with the police pulling over people for doing say, 65 in a 55. I think their real focus should be on excessive speeding and recklessness. There are bigger dangers than someone going faster than the speed limit.

If the Cincinnati Police want to hand out tickets, they should hang out on the city streets and get people for running redlights. That to me is way more dangerous than someone going 70 in a 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
As sympathetic as I am to the plight of many who've been ticketed on I-71 ... 83?!?!??!!!

Sorry, man. You deserved that one.

And this is coming from a cheerfully habitual speeder.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
There are some interesting statistics on speeding. Information is available at the NTSB web site. Maybe I'll post a link.

But, here's the situation. Every accident where one vehicle appeared to have been speeding is listed as speed as a contributing factor. They are very careful not to say speed was the cause.

There are also statistics showing the number of vehicles estimated to be speeding. this is from traffic studies, polls, etc.

Interesting thing is that there are less accidents where a car was speeding that there are speeders. Which, solely on the data would lead to the conclusion that speeding cars are LESS LIKELY to be involved in an accident.

This sort of ties to a theory I have that it is slow moving cars that cause accidents. They putter along in the middle or high speed lane and one wave after another of cars going a little faster than the speed limit comes upon them and everyone has to jockey to get around them without losing place in the traffic pattern. With all that braking and lane changing you have the chemistry for accidents.

Accordingly, I think they should ticket anyone not in the far right lane that is going more than a few miles UNDER the speed limit.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 AM

269 posts, read 779,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
As sympathetic as I am to the plight of many who've been ticketed on I-71 ... 83?!?!??!!!

Sorry, man. You deserved that one.

And this is coming from a cheerfully habitual speeder.
Yeah, I agree with you 100%. 83 is a little fast. Lol. It didn't seem that fast though since there was hardly any traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This sort of ties to a theory I have that it is slow moving cars that cause accidents. They putter along in the middle or high speed lane and one wave after another of cars going a little faster than the speed limit comes upon them and everyone has to jockey to get around them without losing place in the traffic pattern. With all that braking and lane changing you have the chemistry for accidents.

Accordingly, I think they should ticket anyone not in the far right lane that is going more than a few miles UNDER the speed limit.
It does seem like the slow moving cars are the ones who cause more accidents since they essentially end up disturbing the flow of traffic.

Do not even get me started on the idiots who mosey in the far left lane! What makes it worse is when there is practically a 'convoy' behind them and they still refuse to move over.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”- George Carlin

Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
The cops are getting smarter. Today, the I71 team has motorcycles with laser device in the shadows at the 3 mile point (between Taft and Dana). I was only going about 70 and hid behind some other traffic and got through ok.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:36 PM

577 posts, read 1,281,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
Do not even get me started on the idiots who mosey in the far left lane! What makes it worse is when there is practically a 'convoy' behind them and they still refuse to move over.
A little driving lesson for everyone - left lane = passing lane not cell phone parking lot. I learned to drive in California and as bad as that sounds, we were taught this lesson (even if it isn't applied).

Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM

269 posts, read 779,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
A little driving lesson for everyone - left lane = passing lane not cell phone parking lot. I learned to drive in California and as bad as that sounds, we were taught this lesson (even if it isn't applied).
Sometimes they're not even on a cell phone or have any distractions. They're just driving slow in the left lane for no apparent reason. Then when you pass them on the right, they will look over at you and give you a 'kiss my a**' look and continue to mosey along. Lol. It's kind of funny when I think about it, but it is annoying as hell during the moment.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
There are some interesting statistics on speeding. Information is available at the NTSB web site. Maybe I'll post a link.

But, here's the situation. Every accident where one vehicle appeared to have been speeding is listed as speed as a contributing factor. They are very careful not to say speed was the cause.

There are also statistics showing the number of vehicles estimated to be speeding. this is from traffic studies, polls, etc.

Interesting thing is that there are less accidents where a car was speeding that there are speeders. Which, solely on the data would lead to the conclusion that speeding cars are LESS LIKELY to be involved in an accident.

I agree, and to a degree, disagree. (Gee, I'm so poetic. )

I agree people have no business being in the fast lane if they're not going to at least do the speed limit or keep up with the flow. But I disagree that it means you have to stay out of the middle lane if you ARE doing the speed limit. I also disagree that slower drivers should be blamed for causing accidents. It's the people who are in a hurry and want to fly along like it's the Indy 500, in their attempts to get somewhere, who are taking the risks by slamming on their brakes and making abrupt lane changes.

On the outside chance, did anyone hear the news story about that kid from West Chester who was killed last night after he wrecked his car on I-75? The cop, sitting along the interstate, clocked him going over 120 - and was up to 130 when he crashed. He was thrown out of the car and killed.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,633,893 times
With Michigan, their cops are more spread out, more land to cover. Cops will not give you a ticket for going over the speed limit by say 10, because I always do 85 in Michigan lol. But when they do decide to pull you over, be prepared for a hefty ticket, and they are not nice there either. Not giving out tickets I think hurts them too, their infrastructure is terrible in Michigan, and roads that you would think belonged in Mississippi.

hm, lol just like you, I am a speeder, and it just goes with where I am from. We tend to be aggresive in Philly haha. I got a ticket about a month ago in Mobile, Alabama. I was just talking about this in the PA forum. Few years back (in Ohio) I was doing 19 over and got a ticket of $122, not making a complete stop in Mobile, Alabama... $151. LOL I am not even sure if that is it. I have tried to call the police department and get ahold of them online.... no luck! So I looked up traffic violations on Mobile's website, and $151 for not making a complete stop/running a stop sign. Sent my check this week LMAO... hopping that is the right amount. Watch, being in Alabama, it might be $130 and they won't return the rest of my money, or with my luck, it will be even more than $151.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati