Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago I drove from Northeastern U. in downtown Boston, not near the Xway to Mt. Lookout starting at 10AM and arriving 11 hours 15 minuted later. Its 880 miles. Does that qualify as maniacal driving? Oh, I had a sit down dinner at Arby's somewhere in Western PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Just why do so many people believe they are entitled to speed on the highways any dam*n way they see fit? I see no difference in this attitude than refusal to obey any law. To me the law is the law, simply obey it. If you don't like it then work to get it changed.

Maybe it is the Mechanical Engineer in me, but the current deteriorated highway system in the US does not warrant speeding. When Michigan upped their interstate limits to 70, the last time I was there, approx. 2 years ago, I felt they were unsafe at 55. Maybe I think too much while I am driving, but my Engineering background constantly tells me:
. If you hit one of these big potholes, what is the probability of losing control of the car?
. Or more than that, what is the probability of blowing a tire so you have no control of the car?
. How many of you have experienced a blowout at 80mph and have any idea how you lived through it?
Sorry people, but if you just have that compulsion to speed, then go and join a Nascar team.

In the meantime, I will work diligently to petition our local police to enforce the 25 mph limit on our residential street. We have some who apparently believe it is a 1/4 mile dragstrip between the stop signs. What the Hel*l is the Big Rush?
As usual, tried to rep you but couldn't.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 PM

436 posts, read 952,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Just why do so many people believe they are entitled to speed on the highways any dam*n way they see fit?
"Speeding" is just some arbitrary number someone put on a sign.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
Speed limits are just another way for the government to try to control us.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:56 AM

860 posts, read 1,358,286 times
I agree. Don't pull me over for driving fast on the highway, that's what it's for. And no, 65-70 mph isnt THAT fast at all. To make it even better, you always have cops from one of the million municipalities hiding somewhere in the bushes or dropping out of the sky.

Ticketing people and pulling people over slows down the economy. Especially when you pull over truckers. Makes people late for work, business transactions, school and countless other things. Money that could be spent on our economy now goes to a ticket for going 13 miles over the speed limit when no one else is on the road. Bull****.

We need digital speed limits that change depending on the volume of traffic. They need to pull people over for going to slow. Someone was going 35 mph on 75 yesterday. What the hell? I'd love to see some people from here drive in Washington D.C. their Highways are windy, up hill down hill, and people go no slower than 70. People get where they need to go to do what they have to do, and cops don't bust your balls for it.

I'm done ranting

Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM

174 posts, read 404,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
This just made me think of something I was wondering one time. I heard someone ask once why cops don't hang out near bars around 2:30 when they're all closing up. Seems like a guarantee they'd bust people on DUIs and stuff, which I know are huge money makers for the cities, judges, lawyers, etc. Well the cop says its simply illegal to do it, which is why you never see it happen.

So to my thoughts...how is a cop sitting in little pockets on the highway any different? It's the same kind of "trap". And what really pisses me off is that its a blatant way to make more money to line some mother****ers pockets. There's really not even a hint of "Protect and Serve" in the action of busting a handful out of thousands of speeders. All they're doing is hitting up some poor schmo cuz he was flyin on his way to IKEA. Bull****.
Stupid.

If a cop sits outside a bar and pulls over people for DUI - good.

As for the speed trap...it's not a trap...you are BREAKING the law. Don't do that and neither will he.

I've had a few speeding tickets myself...they were not the fault of the cop on the side of the road...they were the fault of my own dumba$$ for not following the rules.

Why not increase city revenue by penalizing stupid people...it's better than raising everyone's taxes!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:21 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Speed limits are just another way for the government to try to control us.
Not necessarily, I work on highways all the time and I've seen my share of speeders getting their just deserts for flying through the work zones . Speed limits are put there for a reason, and that's to keep folks (ALIVE). Thank the Creator for all the Highway Patrol Officers on all of Ohio's highways, we need more .

Our roads are no way near as good of shape as the German Autobahn, and our drivers aren't as good as the Germans are. Most of the accidents on the Autobahn are caused be none German drivers.

If you fly through a residential zone 10 to 15 mph about the posted limit and a child runs out in front of you as your thumping on the radio and text messaging, that child is a goner.

Speeder deserve to get nice big fat tickets, plus lots of points off their license and drunk driver deserve to lose their cars, license and freedom (prison).

If you think you need to speed to get to your next destination on time, "then maybe you should have left the place a lot earlier".

Old 08-14-2010, 01:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
"Speeding" is just some arbitrary number someone put on a sign.
Arbitrary - Yes. But do you want to put Stop Signs, Traffic Signals, etc. in the same catagory? They are just as arbitrary as anything else. But you see arbitrary is defined as a personal whim. I am not sure I want your personal whim definining my safety.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 PM

50 posts, read 178,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
I agree. Don't pull me over for driving fast on the highway, that's what it's for. And no, 65-70 mph isnt THAT fast at all. To make it even better, you always have cops from one of the million municipalities hiding somewhere in the bushes or dropping out of the sky.

Ticketing people and pulling people over slows down the economy. Especially when you pull over truckers. Makes people late for work, business transactions, school and countless other things. Money that could be spent on our economy now goes to a ticket for going 13 miles over the speed limit when no one else is on the road. Bull****.

We need digital speed limits that change depending on the volume of traffic. They need to pull people over for going to slow. Someone was going 35 mph on 75 yesterday. What the hell? I'd love to see some people from here drive in Washington D.C. their Highways are windy, up hill down hill, and people go no slower than 70. People get where they need to go to do what they have to do, and cops don't bust your balls for it.

I'm done ranting
I agree with your post. The New Jersey Turnpike has digital speed limits, although people drive as fast as they want there anyway. Someone driving 35 mph on 75 in Cincinnati does not surprise me one bit. I hated how many slow poke drivers there were in Cincinnati.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 PM

269 posts, read 779,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Speeder deserve to get nice big fat tickets, plus lots of points off their license and drunk driver deserve to lose their cars, license and freedom (prison).
Actually, it's points ADDED to your license. Believe me, I know! Even though I speed sometimes, although usually not to the extent of driving 83 in a 55, I can agree speeders should be ticketed. Ohio's speeding fines are actually a lot less than other states, especially the southern states.

I remember back in high school, some friends and trailed eachother all the way from Connecticut to Atlanta Motor Speedway for a 'drift' event/car show, back when drifting was popular. That was a LONG and jarring ride (especially in PA) being that my car had TEIN flex coilovers. The S13 I had also had no AC and practically the whole inside was gutted. It was like driving a "go kart." Anyway, all seven of us were "cruising" at 81 mph and got pulled over on I-85 in Georgia received $201 tickets. My 83 in a 55 wasn't even that much here!

I really wish I could continue my automotive hobby, but I do not have the time nor the disposable income to continously replace tires, drive train parts, suspension parts, etc.

One thing I do not do is speed in construction zones. I have a professor from college who hit and killed a construction worker, and now he's currently serving time in prison.

I also have a thing for DUI offenders being that I do not consume alcohol, plus losing a family to someone driving drunk.

Last edited by high mileage; 08-14-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati