Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
As a NY'er looking to relocate outside of Cincinnati I enjoyed this post and following comments. I am concerned about my 7 year old receiving poor treatment form neighbors and even teachers due to our family's liberal views and lifestyle. I guess liberalism is something a liberal takes for granted living in a liberal area!
where are you relocating? cincinnati has many liberal areas but not once you get more than 20 minutes or so from downtown. and even in the more conservative areas, no one is going to bother your 7 year old. don't confuse politics with basic manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
As a NY'er looking to relocate outside of Cincinnati I enjoyed this post and following comments. I am concerned about my 7 year old receiving poor treatment form neighbors and even teachers due to our family's liberal views and lifestyle. I guess liberalism is something a liberal takes for granted living in a liberal area!
Maybe it will do some good for you to experience more diversity in thought.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM

74 posts, read 189,000 times
We are looking about and hour or so from the city. I wouldn't be so panicky if there weren't so many hardliners out there these days with pitchforks and torches. Many conservatives are extremely bigoted and hateful and do not put human rights first and foremost. The issue runs way beyond manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
where are you relocating? cincinnati has many liberal areas but not once you get more than 20 minutes or so from downtown. and even in the more conservative areas, no one is going to bother your 7 year old. don't confuse politics with basic manners.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 AM

As I replied to the other poster:

I wouldn't be so panicky if there weren't so many hardliners out there these days with pitchforks and torches. Many conservatives are extremely bigoted and hateful and do not put human rights first and foremost. The issue runs way beyond manners, and the issue here is not about me but protecting my child from potential violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Maybe it will do some good for you to experience more diversity in thought.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:

I wouldn't be so panicky if there weren't so many hardliners out there these days with pitchforks and torches. Many conservatives are extremely bigoted and hateful and do not put human rights first and foremost. The issue runs way beyond manners, and the issue here is not about me but protecting my child from potential violence.

No more than the liberal bigots that are out there. LIke when my father went with his brother to a Democratic event with one of the local Catholic priests and was asked by a couple if they really "believed in all that religious bull****."

Or in my last trip to St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC, some activist insisted on storming into the church and interrupting Easter Sunday services.

Look at YOUR OWN response. Because I may not agree with your views, I do not believe in human rights?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Wow; see what I mean about hostility??
I am not going into a republican rally or a church. I just wanna live in the country. I am genuinely concerned that my 7 year old will be bullied because she does not attend the local church. I know we will be shunned by some and I do not want o her to be the girl no one is is allowed to play with.

And again, there some hardliners that very well could come to my house with a gun, (everyone's got one right? Oh, or is that a sterotype!!) or I could get a call from a teacher regarding our PRIVATE non-theist views or political leanings. And yes, tere are some that would view us as subhuman, same as they regard blacks or other non-whites, or non-god-fearing-christians.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 AM

350 posts, read 880,058 times
Quote:

Are you serious? Do you really think 2nd-graders care what ideology their classmates' parents espouse? Or do you teach your kid to show-off how liberal she is? I just don't get that fear, sounds like projection.

I also don't get where you want to live...in the country? If we are talking within Hamilton county no one really cares, it's a live and let live with regards to political leanings. In my Cincinnati hood of Westwood, Chabot (R) and Driehaus (D) signs are like 50/50 on every other yard.

Last edited by Cincy Rider; 09-14-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 AM

And so can we get back on track? Ohio. So if you are a religious conservative, where wild you NOT want to live??

I checked Yellow Springs, no houses for sale there with my *criteria and Columbus is too far. Must be an hour or so of downtown Cincinnati.

*Criteria
4 bd
2bth
3 or more acres
130-180K
1 hour or so from downtown Cincinnati

Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Uh, of course I'm serious. The first thing they are going to ask her is what church are you going to go to. And when she says I don't go to church, what do you think they'll do. I think they'll call her a satanist or something preposterous like that. She doesn't really speak ot (or show off liberal style as you like to imagine), I have explained to her that most kids beleive in concepts like god, santa dn the easter bunny, oh and the tooth fairy. She knows not to spoil the fun for others. But if asked point black what she believes, she will not lie.

"Do you really think 2nd-graders care what ideology their classmates' parents espouse"

and Yes, because their parents do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
Are you serious? Do you really think 2nd-graders care what ideology their classmates' parents espouse? Or do you teach your kid to show-off how liberal s/he is? Because then yeah, they should get whooped-up on in school, lol.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,621 times
I think you're too worried. Plenty of kids around here don't go to church (just like everywhere else), although I recommend wherever you settle that you do check out the Unitarians, who welcome athiests and secular humanists. Simply because a church can be an extremely helpful way to assimilate into a community. Especially for children.

In addition to the kids around here who don't go to church, your child would certainly be welcomed by kids like the ones from my Lutheran church's Sunday School, where they're taught love, tolerance and respect for those who believe differently, or don't believe at all.

You're starting to sound like someone who's either swallowed a lot of false stereotypes about the entire middle of the country between the two coasts, or a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati