Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,950,747 times

Advertisements

Does it seriously P.O. anyone else that we can't even watch our own baseball team without a $65 cable package? The Reds are having an amazing season and I can't even watch them. Anyone know if there is any talk of changing fox sports ohio's anti-American practices and iron grip on our city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 AM

350 posts, read 881,544 times
They used to be broadcast the away games on Channel 5 WLWT years ago.

Most people have cable, you and me are in the minority. MLB-TV blacks out the local teams, so not sure what the point is of even having that service.

I don't have a link but the games can be found online if you can figure out torrents....

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 AM

279 posts, read 719,178 times
I'm with you guys. Hell, our tax dollars are going to pay for the stadium, isn't that sort of a "right" to see the games? Same with Bengals...every home game we hear this threat of being blacked out if it doesn't sell out. That's bull**** to me.

But really, I very much enjoy listening to the games. Sure, it would be great to watch too when I was feelin lazy, but that desire will never be enough for me to get cable. I never watch TV, and it would be lose-lose if I got cable. Either I'd continue to never watch (save for Reds games) or I would watch a ton and hate myself.

I just have better things to do than watch 500 lb people lose weight, or hear about the $hit My Dad Says. And those are network examples, so the options of things to watch really opens up with cable. I can't imagine sitting in front of the TV each and every night with a list of shows to watch...jesus.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,950,747 times
i have watched some online through weirdo sites. quality is horrible.

i guess it is just a reminded of how baseball is first and foremost a business. if anything else were the truth, i'd be able to watch the games with bunny ears or at least the low-end cable package. i think baseball used to be something more, but i imagine those days are long gone.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:51 AM

64 posts, read 142,849 times
NFL is the only pro sport to put every city's home team on free tv.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,546,992 times
I'd gladly pay to get the Reds home games through a service so I could fire Time Warner Cable. I really don't see why the Fox Sports couldn't deliver a web service. What do they care whether they get their money from directly from the consumer, or through the hacks at TWC?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM

16,400 posts, read 30,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i have watched some online through weirdo sites. quality is horrible.

i guess it is just a reminded of how baseball is first and foremost a business. if anything else were the truth, i'd be able to watch the games with bunny ears or at least the low-end cable package. i think baseball used to be something more, but i imagine those days are long gone.
Wasn't this pretty predictable?

First, baseball started putting the first rounds of the playoffs on the pay channels.

Second, they charged you to listen to the games over the web.

Oh well, I have AT&T Uverse with 200+ channels and plenty of additional web content and rarely find myself looking at a baseball game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati