Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,953 times

Advertisements

I am a new user that would like to start a discussion concerning the title, what do people think of the development proposals for the West End, the City Link One Stop Homeless Mall and the developments taking place in OTR?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 PM

292 posts, read 993,336 times
What is a City Link?

I drive through over the rhine weekly. The problem for me moving down there is the street kids are starved for attention so they want mine. They just won't leave you alone. So I've developed this hard shell of personality when done there. Otherwise I'd be mobbed for attention every time I walk through there.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:20 AM

187 posts, read 918,583 times
I think the new development in OTR is good for the entire city. However I do not think that CityLink in all of its glory and potential good should be placed in a community that has suffered for so long from poverty. They might want to move it somewhere else because this area is under new development which is great! CityLink would bring too many vagrants to one community and I do not think this is fair to the good citizens of the OTR community and surrounding communities. If CityLink was serious about the level and quality of services it claims it will provide its clients, they should consider other locations besides the West End/OTR. These are Cincinnati's most poorest and underdeveloped communities that deserve the current and future deveopment opportunities. An organization such as this one could potentially discourage development and place fear in mind of buyers and investors.

Last edited by Derrick_TheRiskTaker; 07-11-2007 at 12:28 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorst View Post
The problem for me moving down there is the street kids are starved for attention so they want mine. They just won't leave you alone. So I've developed this hard shell of personality when done there. Otherwise I'd be mobbed for attention every time I walk through there.
You must look like some one looking to buy something.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:17 PM

292 posts, read 993,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstehlin View Post
You must look like some one looking to buy something.
No they are not asking to sell. I'm just walking around looking at property. They want a quarter. Or want to know about what I'm wearing or driving or riding or if I know what time it is or have I got a dollar or where am I from or what is my name. And that is just the first block... If go down there like clean-cut, fresh faced, white guy I get the rap. If I go down there like Mr. Hard Ass they leave me alone. I think these kids think of pleasantness and courtesy as a sign of weakness.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Zorst:

"I think these kids think of pleasantness and courtesy as a sign of weakness."

I think you're on to something here!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I don't think CityLink is a good idea -- all homeless and low-income people don't live in the West End, and may not have the transportation to get there to use the services. And if the underlying motive is to concentrate homeless and low-income people in the West End -- which I don't think it is, but then again this is the city/county governments we're talking about -- then shame on CityLink.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't think CityLink is a good idea -- all homeless and low-income people don't live in the West End, and may not have the transportation to get there to use the services. And if the underlying motive is to concentrate homeless and low-income people in the West End -- which I don't think it is, but then again this is the city/county governments we're talking about -- then shame on CityLink.
I do believe CityLink's attempt to serve the homeless, needy and underserved is well intended. They state that their attempt is to not bring all the homeless folks to the West End, but to centralize services offered by churches and other charties in one building would enable people to receive more help in less time than they would if these organizations remained at separate locations. But in retrospect we know this would do the contrary therefore it is not a good idea for the West End community especially considering the new and continual development of this community.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:04 PM

245 posts, read 1,272,602 times
Probably the biggest problem with CityLink is how the "good christians" trying to build CityLink are playing this nasty game of crooked politics with the TAX PAYING West End property owners. The people running CityLink are shady, their tactics are less than honest, and now they think they're going to hoodwink West Enders into having no choice but to accept CityLink as their new neighbors. They're playing this political game where they ignore the West End residents - I mean they literally hide from the taxpayers in the West End for years on end - but then they spend their time and effort writing these flowery editorials to the Enquirer about how CityLink is going to be this joyous place in our city.
The Enquirer - CityLink wants to fight vs. poverty, not people

Don't kid yourself people... CityLink is NOT run by "good christians."

Now add the "shady Christians" factor to the fact that the people they serve are some of the city's most vulnerable... How do you think these "shady christians" are going to treat the vulnerable people that they serve? How do you think they're going to address CityLink based neighborhood problems AFTER CityLink is built (god forbid)?

Other important factors:
1. Property owners in the West End pay taxes and ultimately pay the bills that run this city. CityLink promoters DO NOT PAY TAXES because they're a religious organization.
2. CityLink and CityLink promoters DO NOT PAY THE TAXES THAT PAY THE BILLS IN THIS CITY, and yet they are working to create this huge vortex-like taxpayer drain on the City of Cincinnati called CityLink.
3. CityLink promoters DO NOT live anywhere near the West End. One of their head promoters lives in West Chester (or Mason? I forget but it's north of 275). You know, places where you wouldn't get anywhere close to building a place
3. Homeless people need help from people who are QUALIFIED to deal with issues like substance abuse and mental health issues. They do not need "forced bible study" in return for a sandwich.

No To City Link

Last edited by YoMikey617; 11-23-2007 at 03:56 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 AM

83 posts, read 438,283 times
This is definitely NOT a well-intentioned idea/plan. This essentially is a proactive effort to continue the consolidation of poverty (for a region of over 2 million) into 1-2 neighborhoods.

Essentially these churches and "good Christians" are trying to stop any social service organizations from opening in their communities. In my opinion, it is a bold way to partake in exclusionary practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati