Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I would throw Oakley into the mix. Most of Oakley is a short walk from the square, Hyde Park Plaza, Rookwood, or Target/Meijer. In that area, you have 4-5 grocery stores (Kroger, Remke, Meijer, Whole Foods, Fresh market, etc) a ton of bars (Habits, Animations, The Oak, Oakley Tavern, The Edge, The Pilot, RP McMurphy's, The E, Harp's, and more) a lot of restaurants including indian, mexican, thai, japanese, pizza, and many others. A friend of mine lives on Markbreit halfway between Rookwood and the square, and I do not know if there is a more walkable affordable location in Cincinnati.
Wholeheartedly agree!!!! And I have to disrespectfully disagree with every post that mentions a neighborhood other than Oakley. To the list above, you can toss in a public library, hardware storeSSS, bakeries, the church of your choice, Aglamesis Bros Ice Cream, one of the only mom & pop toy stores left on the planet, and if you have the need, throw in a couple of funeral homes. Hyde Park, Pleasant Ridge, Clifton, all pale in comparison.

The only strike Oakley has is the lack of school, but that doesn't seem to be one the OPs priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Here is a guy that is trying to narrow his search down from Hyde Park, Mt. Adams and OTR. And, he has $1000 to spend. He wants to walk to:

"grocery store/food market, a night club, a bar, a good italian restaurant (any sit down restaurant really) and genereally be able to do just about everything without having to step foot in my car."

NOw, we know Mt. Adams is out because there is nothing to walk to other than bars and he will need $1500 to live nicely. And, we know OTR is out because although $1000 is enough money, he won't want to walk anywhere.

So what does that leave us? I'd say Hyde Park, just like I said in above. BTW, OP, Oakley is Hyde Park for all practical purposes.

Does anyone really think one can live in any of the other places mentioned above except Clifton without getting in the car for any reason?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
To the OP: we could probably give you a more precise answer if we had a slightly more detailed picture of your priorities. For example, is access to a full-service grocery most important? Or access to a variety of upscale restaurants? Do you really want fast food options within walking distance? Is it really important to be close to a branch library? Those sorts of things.

For example, when I replied earlier, the notion of buying groceries at a gas station or UDF type place didn't even cross my radar, because I'd never do that. But if I ate out almost exclusively and only bought a quart of milk once in a blue moon, it'd be more practical. Especially if I walked almost everywhere

Old 11-13-2010, 11:34 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
So what does that leave us? I'd say Hyde Park, just like I said in above. BTW, OP, Oakley is Hyde Park for all practical purposes.
There goes another Hyde Parker trying to claim all the good things Oakley has to offer.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
There goes another Hyde Parker trying to claim all the good things Oakley has to offer.
Haha! Oakley is the fastest improving neighborhood in Cincinnati. Period.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
oakley is changing, but i think it is in the stalled out stage...where rents and land prices are too high to encourage the kind of investment it needs to finish things off. people with crappy dilapidated buildings expect too much and nobody buys and invests. Oakley square improvements are very promising for walkability. Rookwood (norwood i know, but influencing oakley), and the "Center of Cincinnati" and "Hyde Park Plaza," while useful developments for Oakley are not helpful for walk ability. They are boiler plate subdivision developments plopped down in the city. Even if you live right next to the Kroger in Hyde Park plaza, you have to cross 1/4 mile of parking lot to get to the front door.

if you were in Oakley in 2004 and OTR in 2004 and you go to each today. No way in hell would you say Oakley had improved more.

My only point is that OTR is easily the fastest changing neighborhood in the city.

Oakley is a GOOD CHOICE for walkability in Cincinnati and it is a very nice neighborhood. So are Clifton (incl Fairview / University heights), Pleasant Ridge, OTR, Mt Adams, Mt Lookout, Hyde Park, and even sections of Westwood and Walnut Hills. Position yourself close to the square or equivalent in any of the above and you should be happy. I don't think one is best.

Hopefully the OP has enough to go on to know where to check out apartments.

Last edited by progmac; 11-13-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 07:15 PM

If you don't count 3CDC's efforts which is just public money being spent by top down control people, as opposed to actual investment by private persons and entities, Oakley has had more development than OTR since 2004.

You are probably unaware of the arts community renovating houses and factory buildings at the east end of Oakely off Brazee, but it would be considered a crown jewel in OTR. And, the central business district has numerous new businesses and expanded businesses all around the new streetscapes at the 20th Centruy Theater. Add to this that every other house in the 45209 zip code had primped up in one way or anther and you nhave a real movement.

I'd suggest a trip to Brazee before you scoff at the assertion that Oakley is the fastest improving neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati