Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
the big cities know this but the small-minded in cincinnati and the shills who con them are living in the 50's.
^^ this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
What are you, some sort of spokesman for millions of people living in the Cincy Metro? By that logic, should Cincy be governed along your point of view then we should expect an influx of these same millions of people once it is.
Hi TomJones123--

Well, why else did people leave the city - and move a grand total of fifteen miles to the north? I hope I don't have to explain how while the city is getting evacuated out, Butler/Warren counties are growing really quickly. Loss of jobs alone or a foreclosure issue wouldn't cause lots of people to move 10-15 miles outside of the city. Plus, there's other costs of living in the suburbs - everything has to be driven to, things are further apart, more driving, more gas, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123
Are you kidding me? Cincinnati is extremely cheap. And people leaving on account of Mallory and Qualls is simply not the way it is. Ever hear of the foreclosure crisis? Ever hear of factory jobs leaving the midwest? That barely scratches the surface in the multitude of reasons people have left cities all over the US over the years. Pffftt.

If you think Cincinnati is expensive perhaps you should look at how expensive top tier cities really are. And guess what. They are more liberal than Cincinnati, they have more opportunities than Cincinnati, most of them have rail, and there isn't enough housing to fill the need. Manhattan, one of the most expensive areas to live in the US currently has a 1% vacancy rate. Cincinnati is a bargain and if you wanted to live here you would. So stop with the song and dance, it's not working.
Hi TomJones123--

I guess I should amplify a bit - Cincinnati is expensive, relatively speaking to its suburbs. I'm not comparing Cincinnati to New York - it's like comparing apples to oranges. But I am comparing Cincinnati and West Chester.

Cincinnati has a 2.1% income tax, whereas West Chester has none.
Hamilton County has a 6.5% sales tax, whereas Butler County is 6.25%.

Property taxes within Cincinnati are higher as well.
Residential within Cincinnati city limits (assuming Cincinnati school district) has 73.67 mills levied against it.
Commercial is even higher - 84.72.
Source: http://www.hamiltoncountyauditor.org...xpaid_2012.pdf

But out in West Chester/Fairfield... Assume Lakota schools:
Residential is billed at 56.16 mills.
Commercial is 61.68.
Source: http://www.butlercountyauditor.org/c...1Corrected.pdf

So, if your house is assessed at $100,000, you'll pay $2,672.95 per year within Cincinnati - and $1,965.60 in Fairfield.
Savings: $700 per year for each $100,000 your house is assessed at. So, $1400 a year if your place is worth 200. And $2100 a year if it's worth 300. And so on.

Cincinnati's income tax is 2.1% while West Chester's is none.
According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia (), Cincinnati's median income for a family is $37,543. Or a taxed amount of $788.40 per year.
Source: Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lastly, Hamilton County's sales tax is 6.5%, while Butler County's is 6.25%.
It's only a couple pennies per shopping trip but it, too, adds up. In an economy like this, a tax here and a tax there, a levy here or there, this business will eat us all alive.

Safe to say that you save a minimum of $1,500 per year in taxes by moving to the suburbs. Maybe 4-5 times that if you make a lot of money or your house is worth more than... erm... $100,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123
Just to reiterate, if you wanted to be here you would be.
Hi TomJones123--

I want to be there. But I don't want to be there so much that I'd pay an extra $1,500+ a year in taxes.

Cross-referencing this forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/
Since it is one of my favorite places.

Last edited by hensleya1; 07-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Added sources

Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
And all of these forward thinking models are why cities in California are having to declare bankruptcy because they cannot pay their bills.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And all of these forward thinking models are why cities in California are having to declare bankruptcy because they cannot pay their bills.
I guess progressivism comes at a price.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi TomJones123--
Well, why else did people leave the city - and move a grand total of fifteen miles to the north? I hope I don't have to explain how while the city is getting evacuated out,
Oh, go ahead and educate me.

Comparing Cincinnati to one of it's many extremely small town neighbors is comparing cherries to grapefruits. You have lower taxes in these rinky dink burbs but you also have little amenities and not much to do. And why don't you go ahead and try and convince me that Mayor Mallory and Roxanne Qualls emptied the city out again. I'll call BS on it again and we can keep going in circles.

And again, if you really wanted to live in and enjoy Cincinnati you would. Cincinnati is nowhere lacking in big city cultural amenities and other big city attractions. I don't need to explain that do I?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Why don't you tell us why. Connect the dots and show how rail in LA and San Francisco have anything to do with towns in a huge state like CA going broke. Please, I really want to be enlightened.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Hi hensleya1--

This is all a moot argument. Cincinnati is building the streetcar. We've beaten this horse to death again and again. There's nothing that the suburban rail haters can do to stop the streetcar at this point. Move on. Surely there's some other worthy project you can direct all your venom toward stopping now?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 AM

suburbanism -the doctrines and conduct of those who regard life in suburbia superior to life in cities or country.

suburbanism - definition of suburbanism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I see says the blind man!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Quote:
Hi kjbrill--

This is a stretch, even for you. California has issues that no other state in the country has to address. And it's also one of, if not the most popular destinations for businesses, transplants and visitors. Convenient how you don't bring that up.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Oh, go ahead and educate me.

Comparing Cincinnati to one of it's many extremely small town neighbors is comparing cherries to grapefruits. You have lower taxes in these rinky dink burbs but you also have little amenities and not much to do. And why don't you go ahead and try and convince me that Mayor Mallory and Roxanne Qualls emptied the city out again. I'll call BS on it again and we can keep going in circles.

And again, if you really wanted to live in and enjoy Cincinnati you would. Cincinnati is nowhere lacking in big city cultural amenities and other big city attractions. I don't need to explain that do I?
Hi TomJones123--

How many millions of dollars were blown on the Paul Brown stadium deal?

How many millions are being blown on the streetcar?

How many millions were blown on the unused Riverfront Transit Center?

Mismanagement of taxpayer dollars does not go unnoticed. When people can't vote the bums out, they do the next best thing - vote with their feet. Here's some Census data for you:

1960 502,550 −0.3%
1970 452,525 −10.0%
1980 385,460 −14.8%
1990 364,040 −5.6%
2000 331,285 −9.0%
2010 296,945 −10.4%
Est. 2011 296,351 −0.2%

I enjoy Cincinnati's cultural amenities all the time - by getting in my vehicle and driving there. There is a lot to do. But it could be ten times better if the city wasn't so mismanaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati